Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:40:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377467 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2400 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »

Northeast government group-hug, anyone?
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2401 on: April 19, 2010, 11:07:21 PM »

Speaker cinyc,

I would like to appoint you to update the Wiki, which has been in dire need of revision.

(Also if you could give me some tips on how you managed to get your own Wiki account, that'd be great too Wink )

Lt. Governor Libertas
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2402 on: April 19, 2010, 11:12:24 PM »

Sure.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2403 on: April 20, 2010, 01:01:10 AM »

Speaker cinyc,

I would like to appoint you to update the Wiki, which has been in dire need of revision.

(Also if you could give me some tips on how you managed to get your own Wiki account, that'd be great too Wink )

Lt. Governor Libertas
I complained about it on the SoFA thread when someone there complained about the state of the Wiki.  Peter realized he had the ability to add wiki accounts - and gave me one.  The new instructions on the Wiki page say to PM him for an account.

I have only begun to edit the Wiki.  I'll do some more tomorrow, if I have time.  The Constitution and Assembly pages are in a dire need of upgrading.  I'm also going to try to find the laws passed during the missing period.

Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2404 on: April 20, 2010, 01:33:16 AM »

Well, I, for one, think this session has been garbage. Wink
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2405 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:31 AM »

Well, I, for one, think this session has been garbage. Wink

Cause of ME???  Cheesy
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2406 on: April 20, 2010, 11:31:12 PM »
« Edited: April 20, 2010, 11:33:53 PM by cinyc »

FYI -

The Atlasian Supreme Court has overruled the CJO's decision to award damages for the strike.  The exact import of the opinion is unclear because the first opinion wasn't good enough - probably not sufficiently pro-union to the leftists who wrote the majority opinion, one of which commented on the law as it was written and ought have recused himself.

Basically, according to the court, unions are special and can breach their contracts without any remedy or recourse.   The right to collectively bargain includes the right for union workers not to live up to their contractual obligations.

So union contracts are basically not worth the paper they are printed on - well, the current opinion claims the contract has been unilaterally invalidated, but I'm sure that will be "clarified" to mean the union gets to do whatever they want and we can do nothing.  Why should we bother even negotiating?

I'm sure the court's new and improved revised opinion won't let us do this, but I'd suggest the next Assembly take up a bill to fire the strikers and hire replacement workers at 75% of current pay, require contributions to pay for health care premiums and no more gilded pension obligations.  
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2407 on: April 20, 2010, 11:52:37 PM »

The Atlasian Supreme Court has overruled the CJO's decision to award damages for the strike.  The exact import of the opinion is unclear because the first opinion wasn't good enough - probably not sufficiently pro-union to the leftists who wrote the majority opinion, one of which commented on the law as it was written and ought have recused himself.

I'm sorry for butting in here and I'm not going to speak about the decision itself.

However, if you think the court is dominated by the leftists, isn't it unwise to push forward in such a manner that would set forth what you'd probably find to be some very bad caselaw?
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2408 on: April 21, 2010, 12:00:38 AM »

The main problem is not that the court is dominated by leftists, but rather that the court is dominated by vindictive clowns and joke posters, like Marokai and opebo.

That is the official opinion of the Lt. Governor.

Proceed. Tongue
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2409 on: April 21, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »

I'm sorry for butting in here and I'm not going to speak about the decision itself.

However, if you think the court is dominated by the leftists, isn't it unwise to push forward in such a manner that would set forth what you'd probably find to be some very bad caselaw?

No.  Public employee unions have gotten out of hand.  They live in a fantasy world where there's no recession and they deserve raises and perqs that people who work in the real world aren't getting.  Their actions have been completely unreasonable and out of proportion to a law that merely set a framework for future negotiations.

Besides, so far, the actual law wasn't struck down, just the CJO's decision to award damages for breach of contract - an opinion I find puzzling and would have never expected at all.  Live up to your damn contractual obligations.  Don't strike in the middle of it.  Otherwise, you should be sued for breach and be required to pay damages.  Period.  But for reasons the majority opinion doesn't explain, unions are extra special and don't have to live up to their contractual obligations like the rest of us.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2410 on: April 21, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »

FYI -

Stop acting paranoid.  If you want a justice to recuse himself, please tell us before the decision is made.  There is no set procedure for such an action, so bringing it up may actually cause us to make some rules.  Otherwise, nothing will ever happen.  We can't read minds.

Furthermore, I have tried to restrain the justice you mention from making such comments, but if you really find this problematic, you need to take the initiative.  I can only say "don't do this, or don't say that because something will happen."  I can't do anything else.  If nothing is done from outside the Court, nothing will ever happen.  Otherwise, stop whining (in addition to acting paranoid)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2411 on: April 21, 2010, 09:27:52 AM »

I doubt any decision will change because of what cinyc does or doesn't do.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2412 on: April 21, 2010, 11:47:34 AM »

Public employee unions Wall Street executives and insurance companies have gotten out of hand.  They live in a fantasy world where there's no recession and they deserve raises and perqs that people who work in the real world aren't getting.  Their actions have been completely unreasonable
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2413 on: April 21, 2010, 12:14:06 PM »

I doubt any decision will change because of what cinyc does or doesn't do.

That wasn't Bullmoose's point.  Bullmoose's point is that the Northeast shouldn't be passing conservative laws because this leftist court will just strike them down, creating bad precedent.

But whatever.  I'm out of office once the new Assembly is sworn back in and intend to slink back to the shadows where I belong.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2414 on: April 21, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »

I am incredibly tired of your attitude, cinyc. Almost all of our decisions in the past I have made in concert with Spade himself (let's no beat around the bush here gentlemen and act like you're not talking about me) and I've taken the time to very carefully consider everything at hand.

I don't dick around on the court and just make decisions without thinking about them nor do I try and just find ways for Opebo and I to agree on something so we can tick off Spade. I really like Spade, and I've made alot of effort in the past to find areas of agreement with him whenever possible. (The HAEV case, for instance, was unified because Spade and I wanted to be absolutely sure all three of us were standing together, so I made a considerable effort in coming to the middle to meet Spade when I absolutely did not have to.)

You have no idea the amount of time and energy I put in to considering every case before me.

And this "dominated by lefists" thing is so absurdly paranoid and just designed to try and get people to oppose my efforts on the court. In the Libertas decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the SPC decision on the smoking ban, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the HAEV decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the Jbrase decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. Even in this union case, though in the new opinion still to-be published there are many things Spade doesn't like, I've still heard some level of agreement from him on at least on part of it. (And I sought out his opinion trying to find areas of agreement before I took up the task.)

This idea that Opebo and I are ruling the court in some sort of tyrannical left-wing way is absurd and objectively wrong and it's about time you drop it.

At every possible turn you've tried to stir up trouble against me, and I'm getting tired of it right quick. People are allowed to express their opinions, and I've been remarkably more restrained since I took the position precisely because of attitudes like yours. This is a game, there's only a handful of extremely active individuals, and we all have opinions.

In short, you're getting pissed off because I express my carefully thought out opinions on fictional legal matters. Something I really put alot of my energy into trying to very precisely express myself. You have absolutely no right to act like a complete jerk to me because you just don't like my opinion.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2415 on: April 21, 2010, 06:31:55 PM »

I am incredibly tired of your attitude, cinyc. Almost all of our decisions in the past I have made in concert with Spade himself (let's no beat around the bush here gentlemen and act like you're not talking about me) and I've taken the time to very carefully consider everything at hand.

I don't dick around on the court and just make decisions without thinking about them nor do I try and just find ways for Opebo and I to agree on something so we can tick off Spade. I really like Spade, and I've made alot of effort in the past to find areas of agreement with him whenever possible. (The HAEV case, for instance, was unified because Spade and I wanted to be absolutely sure all three of us were standing together, so I made a considerable effort in coming to the middle to meet Spade when I absolutely did not have to.)

You have no idea the amount of time and energy I put in to considering every case before me.

And this "dominated by lefists" thing is so absurdly paranoid and just designed to try and get people to oppose my efforts on the court. In the Libertas decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the SPC decision on the smoking ban, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the HAEV decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. In the Jbrase decision, Spade and I were in agreement on the conclusion. Even in this union case, though in the new opinion still to-be published there are many things Spade doesn't like, I've still heard some level of agreement from him on at least on part of it. (And I sought out his opinion trying to find areas of agreement before I took up the task.)

This idea that Opebo and I are ruling the court in some sort of tyrannical left-wing way is absurd and objectively wrong and it's about time you drop it.

At every possible turn you've tried to stir up trouble against me, and I'm getting tired of it right quick. People are allowed to express their opinions, and I've been remarkably more restrained since I took the position precisely because of attitudes like yours. This is a game, there's only a handful of extremely active individuals, and we all have opinions.

In short, you're getting pissed off because I express my carefully thought out opinions on fictional legal matters. Something I really put alot of my energy into trying to very precisely express myself. You have absolutely no right to act like a complete jerk to me because you just don't like my opinion.

I haven't tried to stir up trouble against anyone.  I've accurately predicted that the Atlasian Supreme Court would side with the unions no matter what.  Your comments on this thread about the bill when we were passing it made that a foregone conclusion.   And I have an absolute right to criticize court decisions and the out-of-court behavior of the Justices - you can characterize it as whining or paranoia or whatever - but I do.  The court made it clear when the question of recusal was raised in a prior case that it there is no procedure for it and therefore, raising it would be futile.

At the end of the day, it no longer matters.  I did not run for reelection to the Assembly and don't expect to be running for anything else in the future.  I'm going back to the shadows, where I belong.  You win.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2416 on: April 21, 2010, 06:36:57 PM »

With the new Assembly in session, I pass the gavel to the Lt. Governor to commence the speaker election. 
The gavel is here: http://i48.tinypic.com/10gfeoi.jpg

Please note that the GM says the union is willing to negotiate the contract.  I assume that means they will not immediately go on strike.  The Governor and Assembly are going to have to figure out what to do.  I will no longer act as counsel on the Northeasts' behalf if you want to take this further through the courts.

Good luck in the new session!
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2417 on: April 21, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »

I wish Spade could teach me how to very cryptically say something without referring to it openly.

That was my only comment here during the debate over the Practical Labor Policy Act. If you expect me to eat, breathe, and sleep judicial matters and never do anything else, that's not going to happen. We all express our opinions somewhere on this site, and finding anyone to be absolutely impartial who never says a cross word to anyone is unrealistic.

I have been careful to judge cases on their merits and how the law contrasts with them. Everyone knows I was a supporter of HAEV. Did I try to save that institution from the court? Hell no I didn't. It's guidelines were unconstitutional and I said as much to Spade in joining his opinion.

You just don't like me, Cinyc. It's okay to admit it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2418 on: April 21, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »

Friendly note:

Cut the size of your legislature to three, immediately.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2419 on: April 21, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »

Friendly note:

We already passed an amendment to be on the ballot in May, reducing it to six.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2420 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »

Friendly note:

Six is way too many.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2421 on: April 21, 2010, 09:44:45 PM »

Friendly note:

Six is way too many.

Really now?  Maybe three is too many.  Perhaps we should have one member of the legislature.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #2422 on: April 21, 2010, 09:48:08 PM »

Friendly note:

Six is way too many.

Really now?  Maybe three is too many.  Perhaps we should have one member of the legislature.

Don't be ridiculous.

You just elected four people to your legislature. The Mideast had a three-man legislature for a long time and it worked well.
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #2423 on: April 21, 2010, 09:56:06 PM »

Friendly note:

Six is way too many.

Really now?  Maybe three is too many.  Perhaps we should have one member of the legislature.

Don't be ridiculous.

You just elected four people to your legislature. The Mideast had a three-man legislature for a long time and it worked well.

Three people in a legislature doesn't really give a whole lot of room for diversity of views.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #2424 on: April 21, 2010, 10:01:59 PM »

Welcome to the next session of the Northeast Assembly.

I would ask the Representatives to now begin making nominations for the next Speaker of the Assembly.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 94 95 96 [97] 98 99 100 101 102 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies