Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:06:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378643 times)
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2225 on: March 29, 2010, 08:47:16 PM »

Nay.

I was also unable to log on.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2226 on: March 29, 2010, 08:52:24 PM »

Can't believe I didn't think about trying to post from my blackberry. Let's hope it works.

Nay
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #2227 on: March 29, 2010, 09:34:45 PM »

;_;
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2228 on: March 29, 2010, 09:39:46 PM »

Because of the login difficulties, I'm going to give the remaining Northeast Representatives until 8:00 PM tomorrow, March 30, 2010 to cast their vote.    Obviously, we'll wrap things up sooner if they both vote sooner.

Dave Leip says the issue should be resolved - I can post regularly again, too.

segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #2229 on: March 30, 2010, 01:36:31 AM »

NAy.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2230 on: March 30, 2010, 07:59:23 AM »

Looks like I'm able to post again.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2231 on: March 30, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »

I have introduced a bill that would give Governor Morgan authority to put a volunteer police force into the streets for the moment with the police on strike. I urge the assembly bring it up to the floor as quickly as possible.

"Volunteer police force"? This may be a game but that still doesn't mean you can just conjure things up like that. We're talking about an entire region's law enforcement here. Further, even assuming for the sake of argument you could make a police force for an entire region appear out of thin air, I would have serious concerns about their training and behavior on the job..

Seriously. Every cowboy wannabe who wants to play cop volunteering for a civilian posse? I think I'd prefer anarchy.

As a self-described libertarian, Gio, doesn't this thought frighten you a tad? The threats of life and limb of hundreds of poorly or untrained volunteer cops--both to the public and themselves--is staggering. Not to mention I shudder to think of trying to prosecute some of the arrests these guys make:

Defense Attorney: "Patrolman Newbie, what training, education and experience did you have in the detection and apprehension of impaired drivers prior to the night you arrested my client?"

Patrolman Newbie: "Well, I never miss an episode of 'Cops'!"

Me: "Recess, your honor? I need to confer with counsel and offer a plea to a reduced charge of jaywalking".

Since it's just the NE equivalent of the state patrol off the streets, why not just make deals with local departments and county sheriffs for them to put extra officers on the street temporarily? A tad more expensive in the short run, but infinitely more workable.

Now, again, regarding those Regional corrections officers staffing the prisons.....
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2232 on: March 30, 2010, 11:14:57 AM »

I have introduced a bill that would give Governor Morgan authority to put a volunteer police force into the streets for the moment with the police on strike. I urge the assembly bring it up to the floor as quickly as possible.

"Volunteer police force"? This may be a game but that still doesn't mean you can just conjure things up like that. We're talking about an entire region's law enforcement here. Further, even assuming for the sake of argument you could make a police force for an entire region appear out of thin air, I would have serious concerns about their training and behavior on the job..

Seriously. Every cowboy wannabe who wants to play cop volunteering for a civilian posse? I think I'd prefer anarchy.

As a self-described libertarian, Gio, doesn't this thought frighten you a tad? The threats of life and limb of hundreds of poorly or untrained volunteer cops--both to the public and themselves--is staggering. Not to mention I shudder to think of trying to prosecute some of the arrests these guys make:

Defense Attorney: "Patrolman Newbie, what training, education and experience did you have in the detection and apprehension of impaired drivers prior to the night you arrested my client?"

Patrolman Newbie: "Well, I never miss an episode of 'Cops'!"

Me: "Recess, your honor? I need to confer with counsel and offer a plea to a reduced charge of jaywalking".

Since it's just the NE equivalent of the state patrol off the streets, why not just make deals with local departments and county sheriffs for them to put extra officers on the street temporarily? A tad more expensive in the short run, but infinitely more workable.

Now, again, regarding those Regional corrections officers staffing the prisons.....

The Northeast has a National Guard, which can be called up by the Governor.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2233 on: March 30, 2010, 11:52:16 AM »

Why hasn't it been is the question.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2234 on: March 30, 2010, 12:37:55 PM »

Constitutional concerns about its role, based on a one-sided interpretation of the Atlasian Constitution, which isn't quite as one-sided as the feds think when read in context.  We might not be able to call up the Guard to act as an armed force, but we can call it up for everything else.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2235 on: March 30, 2010, 12:42:38 PM »

Constitutional concerns about its role, based on a one-sided interpretation of the Atlasian Constitution, which isn't quite as one-sided as the feds think when read in context.  We might not be able to call up the Guard to act as an armed force, but we can call it up for everything else.

Let the Feds sue us........IMO
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2236 on: March 30, 2010, 01:14:42 PM »

Yeah, this is going to end up in federal court anyway, and given its leftist makeup, won't end well for the Northeast.  We already have one left-wing Associate Justice publicly commenting on the situation - and we all know he won't recuse himself when a case gets to that court. 
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2237 on: March 30, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

By a vote of 2-7 with 1 absence, the Officeholders Titles Amendment fails.

Next bill:
Freedom To Drive Act

1. The Northeast shall have a moratorium on the Regional Gas Tax.

2. Remaining funds from the RFER (Regional Fund for Economic Recovery) shall be diverted to maintain and repair existing roads.

3. The moratorium will be in effect until funds from the RFER are depleted.

Sponsor: Rep. Dallasfan65

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 10:15PM Eastern on Thursday, April 1, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Dallasfan65, has the floor.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2238 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:34 PM »

You all are joykillers Sad
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2239 on: March 30, 2010, 09:33:32 PM »

Transportation is crucial to an economy, and we should not be trying to stymie the purchase of gasoline, as it is essential towards travel, especially in such economic tumult.

As many of us know, we have a rather large budget deficit, so I would like for us to use existing funds, from the RFER, towards a different purpose, as to not increase the deficit.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2240 on: March 30, 2010, 09:51:48 PM »

Transportation is crucial to an economy, and we should not be trying to stymie the purchase of gasoline, as it is essential towards travel, especially in such economic tumult.

As many of us know, we have a rather large budget deficit, so I would like for us to use existing funds, from the RFER, towards a different purpose, as to not increase the deficit.

How much do we have left from the RFER?  I thought we spent most, if not all of it.
Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
hantheguitarman

« Reply #2241 on: March 30, 2010, 10:39:28 PM »

I endorse this bill.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #2242 on: March 30, 2010, 10:42:35 PM »

In this dire global economic condition we face, such legislation that is on the Northeast Assembly's agenda presently would contribute to a positive boost to jump starting our region's business and industry. The Freedom to Drive Act seems like a reasonable and effective proposal in my opinion.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2243 on: March 31, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »

Yeah, this is going to end up in federal court anyway, and given its leftist makeup, won't end well for the Northeast.  We already have one left-wing Associate Justice publicly commenting on the situation - and we all know he won't recuse himself when a case gets to that court. 

The left-leaning of the court in terms of it's rulings has been grossly exaggerated. And is currently grossly exaggerated, given the debate behind the scenes on the current cases..

Feel free to continue, though.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2244 on: March 31, 2010, 08:47:03 AM »

How much do we have left from the RFER?  I thought we spent most, if not all of it.

To the best of my knowledge, I think just about all of it was spent, since we had a deficit before our official numbers came out.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2245 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:35 AM »

To the best of my knowledge, I think just about all of it was spent, since we had a deficit before our official numbers came out.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

If this program is projected to last until 2014, I imagine there'd be a considerable amount of money left.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #2246 on: March 31, 2010, 02:19:47 PM »

Keep the gas tax.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2247 on: April 01, 2010, 12:59:46 AM »

I just want to thank the Northeast government for taking GM reports seriously and fully engaging in the content matter. The ongoing situation has and will proceed to involve a broad swathe of the game, from the entire regional government to a national conversation and possibly a case before the Supreme Court.

This should be a model for how other regions handle such situations in the future and I appreciate how well you all have responded.

~PS

P.S. Feel free to PM me for negotiations. I have not yet received any counter-offers to the initial offer of the union. I know it's all wrapped up with Rowan at the moment, but moving on parallel tracks simultaneously may be a good idea.
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #2248 on: April 01, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »

cinyc, we should discuss some about this union situation, if not in public then by PM. I'm ready to resolve this properly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2249 on: April 01, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

cinyc, we should discuss some about this union situation, if not in public then by PM. I'm ready to resolve this properly.

Yes, we should.  Perhaps the best way to do that is for someone to make a motion to simultaneously consider the Northeastern Emergency Militia Act, which can serve as a vehicle to do whatever we want to do to solve the strike.

The lawsuit is currently under consideration by CJO RowanBrandon. 
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 88 89 [90] 91 92 93 94 95 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies