Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:01:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377592 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1700 on: February 10, 2010, 11:14:24 PM »

Nay
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1701 on: February 10, 2010, 11:37:46 PM »

since I don't want to sound like a horse..... aye. Tongue
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1702 on: February 11, 2010, 01:01:03 AM »

Aye
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -2.43

« Reply #1703 on: February 11, 2010, 01:02:31 AM »

If you introduce just part two I will vote for it. THis bill is not my thing though as a package.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1704 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:21 AM »

Aye
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #1705 on: February 11, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »

A regional Assembly is entitled to decide discounts on products Huh
I'm for regional rights, but this... Cheesy

And of course, flying companies won't up their prices in the North East when seeing this law !?

Well, Mideasterners won't fly any more to the North East...
Unless this law will apply to the entire Universe !

I'm sorry to intervene like this in your thread but it's so laughable...
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1706 on: February 11, 2010, 02:14:10 PM »

By a vote of 4-4, we have a tie that must be broken by the Lt. Governor.

Given that time is running out on this session and there is still legislation in the queue, I propose to move on to the next bill while waiting for the Lt. Governor's vote - unless there is an objection:

The People's Court Amendment

Article VI, Section ii of the Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be elected by the voters of the Northeast region. He or she shall have a term of four months, with the option of re-election. Whenever the office of Chief Judicial Officer becomes vacant, then he or she must be replaced by special election within one month.

Sponsor: Rep. Libertas

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:15PM Eastern on Saturday, February 13, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Libertas, has the floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1707 on: February 11, 2010, 02:28:34 PM »

Mr Speaker. I believe that each Representative has had 2 texts debated (except those who introduced less), and therefore you should perhaps start considering my bills, which were the first on the queue. Wink
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1708 on: February 11, 2010, 02:49:02 PM »

And of course, flying companies won't up their prices in the North East when seeing this law !?

Would you like paying the price of two seats for one? No. So, with all due respect, STFU
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1709 on: February 11, 2010, 03:01:54 PM »

Mr Speaker. I believe that each Representative has had 2 texts debated (except those who introduced less), and therefore you should perhaps start considering my bills, which were the first on the queue. Wink

The only currently sitting Representatives to have 2 pieces of legislation debated and voted upon are you and me.  Rep. Kalwejt has had 2 pieces on the floor and removed one - but since he doesn't have anything else in the queue, I don't have to rule on whether he is entitled to introduce another piece without being affected by the rule.

Reps. Dallasfan65, Doctor Cynic and cutie_15 each have had 1 piece considered and voted on on the floor.  Rep. Libertas has 1 piece currently on the floor.  Rep. silent_spade07 hasn't introduced anything.

That's the current state of affairs - any legislation proposed by you or me will not be considered until the other Reps have had 2 pieces considered, there's nothing left in the queue, OR a majority of the Assembly agrees to a motion to consider a specific piece of legislation proposed by one of us at the same time as whatever else is on the floor.

Many Representatives have complained about legislation proposed by others allegedly wasting this Assembly's time, but have not availed themselves of the motion to consider more than one thing at a time.  The remedy is there if you want it.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1710 on: February 11, 2010, 03:25:28 PM »

Actually I have recently proposed 2 bills, but I wouldn't mind them actually being considered as one since they both have similar aims.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1711 on: February 11, 2010, 03:34:26 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2010, 03:36:50 PM by cinyc »

Actually I have recently proposed 2 bills, but I wouldn't mind them actually being considered as one since they both have similar aims.

We can't consider your two proposed amendments as one since they are on different topics and all legislation can only be on one topic.  You are free to move to consider the Northeast Senate Amendment right now, if you wish.  It would be put to a vote and needs a majority to be considered simultaneously with the proposed amendment currently on the floor.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1712 on: February 11, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »

Would you like paying the price of two seats for one? No. So, with all due respect, STFU

With all due respect, that is only a small part of this destructive bill .

Don't waste our money because of one little provision you like.
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1713 on: February 11, 2010, 04:14:41 PM »

We don't have the money to pay for everyone' airport tickets just because they have a gym membership. C'mon that's ridiculous, you even said you have one and nevre go. THis bill accomplishes nothing as is.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1714 on: February 11, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »

We can't consider your two proposed amendments as one since they are on different topics and all legislation can only be on one topic.  You are free to move to consider the Northeast Senate Amendment right now, if you wish.  It would be put to a vote and needs a majority to be considered simultaneously with the proposed amendment currently on the floor.

Alright then, how much longer will we have to wait for this "Health Act"?
segwaystyle2012

Political Matrix
E: 9.68, S: -0.70

« Reply #1715 on: February 11, 2010, 11:14:38 PM »

Health Act is done for now, since the *current* Governor decided he likes to A. appoint people who can't write legislation and B. appoint people who are so inactive they can't break ties.

You can go ahead with this amendment and motion for the second to be considered simultaneously.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1716 on: February 11, 2010, 11:20:02 PM »

I would like to motion to have the Northeast Senate Amendment considered simultaneously.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1717 on: February 12, 2010, 01:11:36 AM »

The Health Act is waiting for Lt. Governor Smid to cast the deciding vote.  If he votes aye, it goes to the Governor for his signature.  If he votes nay, it fails.

The People's Court Amendment is on the floor - and I'd appreciate your statement on it.  I will have some amendments - largely to schedule the CJO vote during gubernatorial elections, which your proposal doesn't really do.

I will open the vote on whether to simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment now.  We will have 24 hours to vote on whether to consider it simultaneously.  If we vote aye, a debate period will follow.  I doubt we will end up voting on both bills at the same time since the Northeast Senate Amendment is very complex and I'm likely to call for a full 48-hour debate period regardless of any motion to shorten.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1718 on: February 12, 2010, 01:17:44 AM »

By a vote of 4-4, we have a tie that must be broken by the Lt. Governor.

Given that time is running out on this session and there is still legislation in the queue, I propose to move on to the next bill while waiting for the Lt. Governor's vote - unless there is an objection:

The People's Court Amendment

Article VI, Section ii of the Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be elected by the voters of the Northeast region. He or she shall have a term of four months, with the option of re-election. Whenever the office of Chief Judicial Officer becomes vacant, then he or she must be replaced by special election within one month.

Sponsor: Rep. Libertas

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 2:15PM Eastern on Saturday, February 13, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Libertas, has the floor.

This amendment will make our region's judicial system more democratic, and more accountable to the people.

Our current system keeps the Chief Judicial Officer in power an entire year without any input from the people of the Northeast. The People's Court Amendment will require our Chief Judicial Officer to be active, and to be responsible with the duties assigned to him/her.

I urge my fellow Assemblymen and women to support this bill, to give the people more power over the justice system of this great region.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1719 on: February 12, 2010, 01:19:44 AM »

The question is whether to suspend section 2(b) of the SOAP and bring the Northeast Senate Amendment to the floor while we continue to debate the People's Court Amendment.

The text of the Northeast Senate Amendment is as follows:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

All those in favor of debating this proposed amendment alongside the bill currently on the floor shall vote aye; those opposed, nay.  This is NOT a vote on the merits of the bill - just a vote on whether to expedite the consideration of the bill.   

This vote shall remain open until the earlier of 1:20AM on Saturday, February 13, 2010, or when all Representatives shall have voted.

Debate on the People's Court Amendment SHALL CONTINUE while the vote on this motion is held.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1720 on: February 12, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »

Aye on the motion to suspend Section 2(b) of the SOAP and simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment
The Age Wave
silent_spade07
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1721 on: February 12, 2010, 01:22:22 AM »

Aye on the motion to suspend Section 2(b) of the SOAP and simultaneously consider the Northeast Senate Amendment
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1722 on: February 12, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2010, 02:13:36 AM by cinyc »

My proposed amendment to the People's Court Amendment is below.  I've tried to mimic the language regarding Gubernatorial elections in this draft.  The vacancy election provisions follow the proposed Lieutenant Governor Amendment's.  

I've also tightened the restrictions on the CJO so that he or she cannot hold any other office - Northeastern or Federal (today, the CJO could hold any other office but Northeast Governor or Lt. Governor - that was written before we had an elected Assembly).  And I've deemed there to be a vacancy in the CJO's office immediately upon passage, which would trigger an election within 2 weeks:

1. Article VI, Section ii of the Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:

ii)  The Chief Judicial Officer shall be elected by the voters of the Northeast region.   Elections for Chief Judicial Officer shall be held simultaneously with the gubernatorial election held every October, February and June.  

2. New Sections iii, iv and v shall be added to Article VI of the New Northeast Constitution:
iii)  Candidates for Chief Judicial Officer will be given until the second Friday of the month in which he or she wishes to run in an election thereof to announce his candidacy. This is to be done by publicly posting his or her intention to run in the Candidate Declaration Thread.

iv)  If the office of Chief Judicial Officer becomes vacant at any time more than two weeks before the next scheduled gubernatorial election, an election shall be held to fill the vacancy.  The Governor of the Northeast Region will open the booth for such election on the second Friday after such vacancy occurs at 12:00:00am Eastern Standard Time, and will close said both on the following Sunday at 11:59:59pm Eastern Standard Time. Every citizen will be given the opportunity to vote during this time.  Candidates for Chief Judicial Officer will be given until the second Wednesday after such vacancy occurs to announce his or her candidacy.

v) When the polls close, the Northeast official responsible for opening the voting booth shall be given twenty-four hours to count the votes and declare a winner. The candidate with the most votes for the office of Chief Judicial Officer shall be made Chief Judicial Officer.  The newly elected Chief Judicial Officer is to be officially sworn in on the Tuesday following the election and shall immediately assume office at that point.  In the case of a tie, all tied candidates are to run in a run-off election the following week to determine a winner.

3. Current Article VI, Sections iii and iv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be renumbered Sections vi and vii.  Current Article VI, Section iv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended to read:

vii) No person shall hold the positions of Chief Judicial Officer and any other elected or appointed Northeast or Atlasian federal office at the same time.

4.  The office of Chief Judicial Officer shall be deemed vacant immediately after certification of the passage of this Amendment.

-------------------------------
Please let me know if you have additional comments - or if you deem this friendly or unfriendly in the entirety.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1723 on: February 12, 2010, 02:20:04 AM »

The amendments proposed are deemed friendly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1724 on: February 12, 2010, 02:26:42 AM »
« Edited: February 12, 2010, 02:28:30 AM by cinyc »

I will vote for the People's Court Amendment in the Assembly - but I'm undecided about whether I will vote for or against it on election day.  An elected CJO is far more likely to be subject to political pressure than an appointed one.   Justice should be blind.

I have no problem letting the people decide whether to elect the CJO.

There's one potential conflict - the sitting CJO may certify his own reelection under the Constitution as written.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 66 67 68 [69] 70 71 72 73 74 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies