Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 08:52:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378574 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: January 25, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »

I just want to take a moment to welcome our newest colleague and the first female Northeast Representative in history Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1501 on: January 25, 2010, 03:51:31 PM »

Specifically, what is meant in fair and equal treatment? Does this merely express that a person cannot be hired or fired on the basis of their weight? Or will it require special accommodations be made for people of unusual girth?

I'm not quite sure I'm comfortable associating obesity with disability, though I do agree with some basic precepts of the bill. (Section 4, for example.)

I'd rather not start a heated battle about "lifestyle choices" here, but as someone who's experienced life as a size 44 waist and as a size 30 waist, I lean towards disapproving the bill.

It is meant that as long as their weight does not interfere with their work, then they cannot be fired from their job on that basis. It also means that a person cannot be discriminated in an interview on that basis (whether they hire them or not is up to them) For some, obesity can be disabiling. For me, it obviously isn't. Section 4 comes from a personal experince. I was charged two seats and given only one. Why should anyone have to pay two seats without getting them?

If you wish to propose amendments, I would consider friendly ones to clean up the language. It won't really cost the Northeast much in terms of budget, either.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1502 on: January 25, 2010, 03:52:27 PM »

I just want to take a moment to welcome our newest colleague and the first female Northeast Representative in history Smiley

Seconded.

And this bill has my full support, obviously.
Countess Anya of the North Parish
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -4.35

« Reply #1503 on: January 25, 2010, 04:04:16 PM »

I approve. Aye
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1504 on: January 25, 2010, 04:12:20 PM »

Welcome to the Assembly!
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1505 on: January 25, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »

why thank you. * courtesy*
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1506 on: January 25, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »

Welcome to the Assembly! 

We're still debating the bill, not voting on it yet.

I am concerned about Sections 3 and 5 of the bill.  Equal treatment and service could mean many things.  For example, would a plus-size clothing line be required to hire skinny models (or vice versa)?  That seems absurd, but could become an issue depending on what "fair and equal treatment" means. 
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1507 on: January 25, 2010, 08:06:21 PM »

All section three says is that a company cannot fire an obese individual if it is not affecting job performance and they cannot discriminate on a qualified applicant simply because they don't like their weight.

Section five is basically saying that Northeastern establishments (Such as clothing stores or restaurants or what have you) have no legal right to exclude obese customers soley on that basis. They can't refuse to sell merchandise or whatever to obese customers.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1508 on: January 25, 2010, 08:51:01 PM »

I shall support the bill
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1509 on: January 26, 2010, 09:36:48 AM »

It is entirely reasonable for someone who pays for two seats to get two seats. I actually question whether what happened to you is legal under current law to begin with.

In any case, I just want to make sure that there is an established line between what is inappropriate discrimination (i.e., what happened on the airline flight; firing an employee based on weight alone) and what is appropriate (i.e., obese people can face higher health insurance costs).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1510 on: January 26, 2010, 11:50:09 AM »

(i.e., obese people can face higher health insurance costs).

Huh, why ? Huh
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1511 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:12 AM »

I am opposed to this bill.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1512 on: January 26, 2010, 01:05:07 PM »

May I ask fellow Representative Libertas why is he opposing the bill?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1513 on: January 26, 2010, 01:10:38 PM »

He already stated his hatred for overweighted people.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1514 on: January 26, 2010, 01:37:36 PM »

Because people who are significantly overweight face far more health complications (diabetes, heart disease) than people who do not?

While few people want to be obese, it is still a lifestyle that some people choose through inaction. It is not something that is fated—people CAN lose weight if they want to. That's not to say it's easy—indeed, for most overweight people, they face issues with metabolism that likely make it harder than most to maintain healthy weights. But there are plenty of options for obese people to get their condition under control, from lifestyle changes to surgery.

In my mind, obesity is somewhat on par with smoking. Neither is cause for discrimination, but both inflict significant related health care costs on the nation as a whole.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1515 on: January 26, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »

Because people who are significantly overweight face far more health complications (diabetes, heart disease) than people who do not?

While few people want to be obese, it is still a lifestyle that some people choose through inaction. It is not something that is fated—people CAN lose weight if they want to. That's not to say it's easy—indeed, for most overweight people, they face issues with metabolism that likely make it harder than most to maintain healthy weights. But there are plenty of options for obese people to get their condition under control, from lifestyle changes to surgery.

In my mind, obesity is somewhat on par with smoking. Neither is cause for discrimination, but both inflict significant related health care costs on the nation as a whole.

My love for you level went down a little bit. But than I saw your sig, and it went up significantly.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1516 on: January 26, 2010, 02:22:11 PM »

Because we need to be encouraging people to lose weight, not forcing everyone else to bend over backwards to tell them their unhealthy lifestyles are alright.

The obese already put a tremendous burden on our society through the costs of healthcare.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1517 on: January 26, 2010, 02:34:53 PM »

Because we need to be encouraging people to lose weight, not forcing everyone else to bend over backwards to tell them their unhealthy lifestyles are alright.

The obese already put a tremendous burden on our society through the costs of healthcare.
actually that is not true. I will try and find the video about women who are happier being fat then not.
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1518 on: January 26, 2010, 02:37:16 PM »

actually that is not true. I will try and find the video about women who are happier being fat then not.

Um, what would that have to do with what I said, or to do with anything that we are discussing on the Assembly floor? Huh
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1519 on: January 26, 2010, 02:39:56 PM »

Um, what would that have to do with what I said, or to do with anything that we are discussing on the Assembly floor? Huh
you were talking about how it is unhealthy and how everyone has to bend backwards for them. That is all. I was just pointing out that someone people actually are healthier being fat. sorry if you thought it was pointless.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1520 on: January 26, 2010, 02:47:33 PM »

you were talking about how it is unhealthy and how everyone has to bend backwards for them. That is all. I was just pointing out that someone people actually are healthier being fat. sorry if you thought it was pointless.

The idea that "some people are healthier being fat" kinda flies in the face of, you know, medical fact.

• More than 80% of cases of type 2 diabetes can be attributed to being overweight or obese.
  • Overweight people are twice as likely to have high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke, than people who are not overweight.
  • Someone who is 40% overweight is twice as likely to die prematurely as is an average-weight person.

Happy does not mean healthy.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1521 on: January 26, 2010, 03:10:07 PM »

The idea that "some people are healthier being fat" kinda flies in the face of, you know, medical fact.

• More than 80% of cases of type 2 diabetes can be attributed to being overweight or obese.
  • Overweight people are twice as likely to have high blood pressure, a major risk factor for heart disease and stroke, than people who are not overweight.
  • Someone who is 40% overweight is twice as likely to die prematurely as is an average-weight person.

Happy does not mean healthy.
being happy actualy does affect your health.
see check this out. and listen carefullly.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1522 on: January 26, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »

It is entirely reasonable for someone who pays for two seats to get two seats. I actually question whether what happened to you is legal under current law to begin with.

In any case, I just want to make sure that there is an established line between what is inappropriate discrimination (i.e., what happened on the airline flight; firing an employee based on weight alone) and what is appropriate (i.e., obese people can face higher health insurance costs).

Well, I don't even have health insurance, so I can't tell you whether or not my costs for them would be higher.

I wouldn't say they couldn't be charged higher coverage, but they should still be given coverage should they be willing to pay.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1523 on: January 26, 2010, 03:48:32 PM »

Happiness does not unclog your plaque-hardened arteries or cure labored breathing.

I fully understand what you are saying. The problem is that what you are saying is ridiculous.
cutie_15
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1524 on: January 26, 2010, 04:01:55 PM »

Happiness does not unclog your plaque-hardened arteries or cure labored breathing.

I fully understand what you are saying. The problem is that what you are saying is ridiculous.
No it is not. You just think that it is not possible.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies