Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:56:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 378410 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1125 on: December 30, 2009, 08:03:53 PM »

Consider legislation! The first piece was already started anyway Tongue

I don't want to hold a vote on New Years' Day, which is what would happen were I to put something on the floor tonight.  I'd actually prefer to adjourn until the 3rd.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1126 on: December 30, 2009, 08:30:53 PM »

Since I do not have unanimous consent to adjourn, we shall consider the first piece of legislation in the queue:

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.

Sponsor: Rep. Hamilton

The question is whether the Bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 8:30PM Eastern on Friday, January 1, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Alexander Hamilton, has the floor.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1127 on: December 30, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »

Anything in specific that the NE Assembly would like from the GM?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #1128 on: December 30, 2009, 09:01:55 PM »

education healthcare crime family incomes and jobs
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1129 on: December 30, 2009, 09:02:38 PM »

I'm personally waiting on the diesel tax differential analysis.  By law, we're going to have to phase out highway tolls and replace them with a gas tax in the upcoming year.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1130 on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:12 PM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #1131 on: December 30, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

I'm putting forward a couple of slight, but important (at least to me) edits.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, size, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1132 on: December 30, 2009, 09:16:37 PM »

Neither are friendly.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1133 on: December 30, 2009, 09:17:53 PM »

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts for a three-year period to any company or organization which is found to repeatedly discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1134 on: December 30, 2009, 09:28:12 PM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, gender identity, class, sexuality, ethnicity, religion, and disability status.

What's the purpose of this now-unfriendly amendment, i.e., what's the difference?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1135 on: December 30, 2009, 09:30:34 PM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

What's the purpose of this now-unfriendly amendment, i.e., what's the difference?

Males than identify as women, females that idenitfy as men.

It's not something believe in or support legitimizing.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1136 on: December 30, 2009, 09:38:18 PM »

education healthcare crime family incomes and jobs

I can't actually provide you with those things, but I can write an analysis on them. What, in particular, would you like for some of them? Employment is already done here. I can do education if that is a priority for the region. Health care is more national at this point, but I can provide figures if you have specific ones in mind.

I'm personally waiting on the diesel tax differential analysis.  By law, we're going to have to phase out highway tolls and replace them with a gas tax in the upcoming year.

If you tell me what you're planning, I can definitely do this. I have a fair idea of what you're referring to (a tax to bring diesel and gasoline consumption to parity) and I assume this is what you would like to respond to? So you're asking how much diesel fuel taxes should increase to equate it with the tax that will be levied on gasoline?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1137 on: December 30, 2009, 10:11:34 PM »

If you tell me what you're planning, I can definitely do this. I have a fair idea of what you're referring to (a tax to bring diesel and gasoline consumption to parity) and I assume this is what you would like to respond to? So you're asking how much diesel fuel taxes should increase to equate it with the tax that will be levied on gasoline?

Yes.  The question is if we raise non-agricultural diesel taxes by an amount, say 1 cent more per gallon than unleaded gasoline taxes, would we get an equal amount in revenue?

For example:
FY2010: Gasoline 2.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 3.1 cents (instead of all at 2.6 cents)
FY2011: Gasoline 5.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 6.1 cents (instead of all at 5.6 cents)
FY2012: Gasoline 8.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 9.1 cents (instead of all at 8.6 cents)
FY2013: Gasoline 11.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 12.1 cents (instead of all at 11.6 cents)
FY2014: Gasoline 14.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 15.1 cents (instead of all at 14.6 cents)

Or does the differential need to be a bit higher or lower?

Many US states have differentials to make trucks pay a bit more - which makes some sense since larger vehicles tend to cause more wear and tear to the roads.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1138 on: December 30, 2009, 10:45:36 PM »

Yes.  The question is if we raise non-agricultural diesel taxes by an amount, say 1 cent more per gallon than unleaded gasoline taxes, would we get an equal amount in revenue?

For example:
FY2010: Gasoline 2.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 3.1 cents (instead of all at 2.6 cents)
FY2011: Gasoline 5.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 6.1 cents (instead of all at 5.6 cents)
FY2012: Gasoline 8.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 9.1 cents (instead of all at 8.6 cents)
FY2013: Gasoline 11.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 12.1 cents (instead of all at 11.6 cents)
FY2014: Gasoline 14.1 cents; Non-Agricultural Diesel 15.1 cents (instead of all at 14.6 cents)

Many US states have differentials to make trucks pay a bit more - which makes some sense since larger vehicles tend to cause more wear and tear to the roads.

Are you looking for equal revenue or parity in use? Because diesel engines provide more miles per gallon, so you would want to tax them more to ensure you are taxing driving, rather than fuel consumption. It would take quite a bit more than that to achieve equal revenue. I can include all of this in an analysis so you can make your own decisions.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1139 on: December 30, 2009, 11:14:11 PM »

For example:

Are you looking for equal revenue or parity in use? Because diesel engines provide more miles per gallon, so you would want to tax them more to ensure you are taxing driving, rather than fuel consumption. It would take quite a bit more than that to achieve equal revenue. I can include all of this in an analysis so you can make your own decisions.
I'm looking for equal revenue.

Technically, we're supposed to vote on whatever the commission concludes - so we really can't make our own decision.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1140 on: December 31, 2009, 12:43:00 AM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

Yes, it would provide protection for the transgendered. Which is, frankly, much better grounded in science as "not a choice" than homosexuality.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1141 on: December 31, 2009, 12:47:09 AM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

Yes, it would provide protection for the transgendered. Which is, frankly, much better grounded in science as "not a choice" than homosexuality.

I'm sorry, I cannot support this amendment to the legislation.
Obnoxiously Slutty Girly Girl
Libertas
Atlas Icon
Finland

« Reply #1142 on: December 31, 2009, 01:10:52 AM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

So if a company doesn't allow men who claim to identify as women to use women's restroom facilities, this would be considered discrimination?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1143 on: December 31, 2009, 01:44:21 AM »

For example:

I'm looking for equal revenue.

Technically, we're supposed to vote on whatever the commission concludes - so we really can't make our own decision.

Because the report's recommendations doesn't include a diesel tax, the NE Assembly could always amend it in or pass it separately.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1144 on: December 31, 2009, 05:42:09 AM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

I'm sorry, I cannot support this amendment to the legislation.

Can you tell us the reason why you don't ?
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1145 on: December 31, 2009, 07:04:39 AM »

Motion to amend.

Anti-Discrimination Act

1. The Northeast Government pledges to uphold the rights of all citizens regardless of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, smell, religion, and disability status.
2. The Northeast Government will hereby refuse government contracts to any company or organization which is found to discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, smell, religion, and disability status.
3. The Northeast Government, in hiring, and in representation, shall not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, class, sexuality, ethnicity, smell, religion, and disability status.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1146 on: December 31, 2009, 11:15:21 AM »

NOT FRIENDLY
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #1147 on: December 31, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »

SMELLIST. Angry
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1148 on: December 31, 2009, 11:22:55 AM »

I suggest to strike word "class". There are no social classes recongized under Northeast nor Federal law. I suggest replace term with something like "social background".
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1149 on: December 31, 2009, 11:39:46 AM »

I suggest to strike word "class". There are no social classes recongized under Northeast nor Federal law. I suggest replace term with something like "social background".

Nope.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies