Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:36:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377446 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: November 10, 2009, 05:33:35 PM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #651 on: November 10, 2009, 05:36:10 PM »

Nay
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #652 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

BUMP for more votes. Smiley
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #653 on: November 10, 2009, 11:32:57 PM »

I'm keeping the amendment before the floor.

Aye.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #654 on: November 11, 2009, 12:05:27 AM »

Aye on the Dr Cynic Amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #655 on: November 11, 2009, 01:29:47 AM »

Nay on the amendment. 

I can't vote for an Amendment I have issues with, even if it's an improvement over the final bill.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #656 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:13 AM »

I would like to make my position on the bill currently on the floor clear, as it addresses an issue I hold dear.

Firstly, I would like to commend Antonio for attacking such a touchy and controversial issue in the way that he did. It's honourable and respectable. However, that being said, I fear that this bill is just a strongly worded resolution just like I can pass a strongly worded resolution in the Senate declaring my hatred of Stephen Harper. It won't do anything, except make some headlines. The issue of zombies requires not resolutions condemning the practice, but real action, which is something that this bill lacks and also something that the Assembly might lack the power of passing. That is why I have offered Antonio the opportunity for him to draft legislation on this issue that I will work with him on and later introduce in the Senate, in the hope that some reform can be done on the issue. I'm happy that he has accepted my offer.

Furthermore, I would like to disagree with the notion that doing nothing is the best solution, because it isn't. I don't want the results of Atlasian elections decided by how many voters the parties have registered. Elections should be competitive but also suspenseful and not an issue of registering voters to vote for your party. We have elections, not registration contests, and I want it to remain that way.

I thank you for your time.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #657 on: November 11, 2009, 11:15:00 AM »

Voters in the Northeast have proven that they aren't party hacks but voters who will vote on the issues.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #658 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

The Ayes are three, the Nays are two; the Amendment is adopted.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #659 on: November 11, 2009, 08:02:08 PM »

I'm introducing this amendment:

Whereas :
- The action of asking people that absolutely don't take part in Atlasian politics to vote for one candidate in order to serve one person's political interest is a clear threat for democracy.
- Recent events permitted to put on light how common said practices have become.
- Northeast Region is particularly concerned by said practices.
- The absence of specific legislation on this domain at the federal level is the main cause of said practices.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that:
- The Northeast Region officially urges the Senate to pass a law that will restrict voting rights to people who really take part in Atlasia outside voting booths.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly establishes that:
- The Northeast Region shall establish independent voting requirements for the region, to be effective beginning January 2010, requiring a voter to be removed of privilege of voting in Northeastern regional elections if that voter should miss two consecutive regional elections. The citizen may re-register at any time and have voting privilege reinstated.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #660 on: November 11, 2009, 08:54:02 PM »

I think it's too late to offer amendments under the SOAP.  Should we not proceed to a final vote on the bill, as amended?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #661 on: November 11, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

I think it's too late to offer amendments under the SOAP.  Should we not proceed to a final vote on the bill, as amended?

That is the correct procedure. Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: November 11, 2009, 09:54:19 PM »

Excuse me, but no. I proposed this amendment as soon as the vote was closed on the previous one. I motion to suspend SOAP and vote on it. There is no reason that I should have to interrupt on-going votes to introduce amendments that won't be voted on until after anyways.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #663 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Excuse me, but no. I proposed this amendment as soon as the vote was closed on the previous one. I motion to suspend SOAP and vote on it. There is no reason that I should have to interrupt on-going votes to introduce amendments that won't be voted on until after anyways.

The rules clearly state, that at the end of the debating period, all proposed amendments are voted on, and then we move on immediately to a final vote.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #664 on: November 11, 2009, 10:08:46 PM »

The reasons the SOAP rules are what they are is so that we don't get bogged down on any one piece of legislation with constant amendments to it - especially since we generally only debate one bill at a time. All amendments should be proposed within the 48-hour debate period.   There's no reason why your proposed amendment couldn't have been.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #665 on: November 11, 2009, 10:58:41 PM »

The rules clearly state, that at the end of the debating period, all proposed amendments are voted on, and then we move on immediately to a final vote.

Then this is a problem with the SOAP that needs addressed. Many amendments are the result of other amendments passing, such as this one.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #666 on: November 11, 2009, 11:28:04 PM »

Then this is a problem with the SOAP that needs addressed. Many amendments are the result of other amendments passing, such as this one.

Nothing prohibits you from offering an amendment conditioned on the passing of another or working with the person proposing an amendment to get your language added.

Time is of the essence here.  I doubt we're going to get through half of the proposed legislation queue this session.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #667 on: November 11, 2009, 11:31:00 PM »

Nothing prohibits you from offering an amendment conditioned on the passing of another or working with the person proposing an amendment to get your language added.

Time is of the essence here.  I doubt we're going to get through half of the proposed legislation queue this session.

I would not have introduced this amendment if that one hadn't passed. Does SOAP have a provision for conditional amendments?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #668 on: November 11, 2009, 11:36:20 PM »

Anyways... as for time concerns.

It will take far less time to deal with this now than for me to put this in the queue as an amendment and forced to spend at least 36 hours on this.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #669 on: November 12, 2009, 08:56:56 AM »

FWIW, an independent voter registration/activity statute would be a nightmare to administer.  I'm fine with going along with the feds on that one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #670 on: November 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM »

I don't support your Amendment, Hamilton, since it is useless and likely unconstitutionnal. I think most of my fellow Reps think like me.
Can we open a final vote on this ?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #671 on: November 12, 2009, 03:33:43 PM »

I don't support your Amendment, Hamilton, since it is useless and likely unconstitutionnal. I think most of my fellow Reps think like me.

No, see. Your legislation here is useless. My amendment creates a policy that attempts to relieve the burdens of inactive voters. Without my provision, this legislation is hollow and pointless.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #672 on: November 12, 2009, 04:00:08 PM »

I second Rep. Antonio's motion.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #673 on: November 12, 2009, 04:14:24 PM »

No, see. Your legislation here is useless. My amendment creates a policy that attempts to relieve the burdens of inactive voters. Without my provision, this legislation is hollow and pointless.

"Inactive voters" are not the problem. The problem is not who doesn't vote, but who votes even though he doesn't care at all of Atlasia. Your idea doesn't solve anything, solves a problem that isn't one, and is just a pretext.
And you perfectly know all that.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: November 12, 2009, 04:15:20 PM »

"Inactive voters" are not the problem. The problem is not who doesn't vote, but who votes even though he doesn't care at all of Atlasia. Your idea doesn't solve anything, solves a problem that isn't one, and is just a pretext.
And you perfectly know all that.

I don't get how you could be so concerned with this and still remain in the JCP. If you want to take a stand on this, you need to be the change you seek.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies