Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377463 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #550 on: November 03, 2009, 02:57:00 PM »

Assuming I have the powers granted to those in the Atlasian Senate when replacing a sitting member in the middle of a vote, I get to overwrite this.

And I do so by voting nay.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #551 on: November 03, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »

Assuming I have the powers granted to those in the Atlasian Senate when replacing a sitting member in the middle of a vote, I get to overwrite this.

And I do so by voting nay.

My reappointment was rules invalid, so don't bother
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #552 on: November 03, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »

Anyways, Hamilton and Moderate votes are too late, so the Bill passed 2-1.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #553 on: November 03, 2009, 03:43:59 PM »

techinically, I did not miss the vote
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #554 on: November 03, 2009, 04:21:50 PM »

lol, 37.5% turnout
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #555 on: November 03, 2009, 04:25:01 PM »

lol, 37.5% turnout

50%. I turned out. I just edited my vote afterward.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #556 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

With two Ayes, and one Nay, and one abstention, this Bill has passed. I present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.

cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #557 on: November 03, 2009, 05:15:42 PM »

With two Ayes, and one Nay, and one abstention, this Bill has passed. I present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.

I urge the governor to veto this bill and allow Mr. Moderate and the others who didn't the chance to vote.

Should the Veto Override Amendment be next on the agenda?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #558 on: November 03, 2009, 05:16:46 PM »

I urge the governor to veto this bill and allow Mr. Moderate and the others who didn't the chance to vote.

Should the Veto Override Amendment be next on the agenda?

I want it vetoed because I wanted to propose an amendment. I spent the weekend at home and did not access the computer much, so did not have a chance to do this as I wanted.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #559 on: November 03, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »

Veto Override Amendment

Whereas the New Constitution of the Northeast does not contain procedural language regarding the override of a Governor's veto, therefore be it resolved that the New Constitution of the Northeast be amended.

Article IV, Section xi is hereby amended as follows:

xi) The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation that the Northeast Assembly shall successfully vote in favour of. The Governor may not have the power to only veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. If the General Assembly of the Northeast Region is to have another successful vote on any piece of legislation previously vetoed, than the Governor must not veto it. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly, and must veto legislation which he does not support, within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign the successful legislation after one week, than it becomes law immediately.

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The Question is shall the Bill be considered?

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative ciync, has the floor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #560 on: November 03, 2009, 06:48:49 PM »

Fully support this.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #561 on: November 03, 2009, 07:29:13 PM »

Veto Override Amendment

Whereas the New Constitution of the Northeast does not contain procedural language regarding the override of a Governor's veto, therefore be it resolved that the New Constitution of the Northeast be amended.

Article IV, Section xi is hereby amended as follows:

xi) The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation that the Northeast Assembly shall successfully vote in favour of. The Governor may not have the power to only veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. If the General Assembly of the Northeast Region is to have another successful vote on any piece of legislation previously vetoed, than the Governor must not veto it. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly, and must veto legislation which he does not support, within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign the successful legislation after one week, than it becomes law immediately.

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The Question is shall the Bill be considered?

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative ciync, has the floor.

Thank you, Mr. Lt. Governor. 

I yield to the original sponsor of this Amendment, Former (and current) Rep. Mr. Moderate.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #562 on: November 04, 2009, 01:05:20 PM »

Well, simply put, this body needs to institutionalize a procedure for overriding a Governor's veto, and then enshrine it in the constitution.  As it currently stands, the constitution makes virtually no mention of the legislature's ability to respond to a veto. And what little mention it does make is terribly confusing.

One interpretation of the current rule is that the legislature can currently override a veto with a  simple majority vote.  Clearly, that is an affront to our tradition of separation of powers—it essentially negates all the governor's power when it comes to the issue of vetoing legislation.

Simply put, this amendment will align our government with most standing legislative bodies in fantasyland and beyond—to override a governor's veto, we should need to pass a two-third majority vote.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #563 on: November 04, 2009, 03:10:36 PM »

Two comments:

1) If the Seats Amendment passes, the size of this legislature will be set at 6.  Assuming everyone initially votes on a bill and the Lt. Governor isn't needed to break a tie, the vote could go 4-2.  That's both a majority AND a 2/3rds majority.  Thus, under the proposed amendment, a veto could be overridden by a mere majority of members in a legislature of 6 (or less than 5, for that matter).  At a minimum, I think we should change "by a two-thirds majority vote" to "by more than a two-thirds majority vote".

2) Given our recent issues with Representatives actually showing up to vote, what happens if less than everyone, say, only 4 members vote on an override?  Should a 3-1 vote be sufficient to override a veto?  Or should we be saying something like:

If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a vote of more than two-thirds of its members, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

That I'm not as adamant about - but would like to hear other Representatives' point of view.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #564 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

That makes sense, I support this Amendment.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #565 on: November 04, 2009, 04:53:39 PM »

Makes sense to me. I've got no argument against this.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #566 on: November 04, 2009, 05:09:19 PM »

I remember talking with cinyc about this previously, and it's obviously necessary to include bur we are running on the assumption that the Seats number amendment passes. I don't think it would effect many other numbers, though, anyway.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #567 on: November 04, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »

I think it is sufficient to say "at least two-thirds" of voting members.

This means that if we have a six-member Chamber, veto over-rides will occur if there is a vote of four, however if the size of the Legislature is changed by future Amendments, we don't have to change the numbers again.

Perhaps "two-thirds of votes exercisable" might be better, meaning that for a Legislature of 6, four votes are required, regardless of how many people vote.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #568 on: November 04, 2009, 07:18:32 PM »

I'm offering this amendment:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a more than two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #569 on: November 04, 2009, 07:58:00 PM »

I call for an emergency vote on this resolution.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #570 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »

I open an emergency vote on this resolution. Voting lasts twenty-four hours. Vote Aye, nay or Abstain.

Resolution Recognizing the RANM's Status in New Mexico

1. The Northeast Region recognizes New Mexico as a separate political entity under the control of the Revolutionary Army of New Mexico and its leader, WMS.
2. The Northeast Region hereby allows Northeastern industries to trade with New Mexico.

Legislation currently being debated has not be tabled, I will probably open a vote on that immediately after this is finished, tomorrow.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #571 on: November 04, 2009, 08:15:07 PM »

Aye.

We must move on. We must not let the free market fall due to a revolution beyond our control. If we make the first motion for piece with the revolutionary army, we will not be targeted, but embraced. The benefits are on our side on this one.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #572 on: November 04, 2009, 08:30:23 PM »

The vote is to open debate, under emergency procedings, yes? So one can oppose the Motion but vote in favour of the question in order to debate the motion?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #573 on: November 04, 2009, 08:31:05 PM »

The vote is to open debate, under emergency procedings, yes? So one can oppose the Motion but vote in favour of the question in order to debate the motion?

Actually, this is a final vote. That's how I read his post, anyway.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #574 on: November 04, 2009, 08:35:24 PM »

Actually, this is a final vote. That's how I read his post, anyway.

That's how I read it, too, hence the question marks - since my vote will be different depending on whether this is a final vote or a motion to debate, I need the clarification before voting.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies