Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:13:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377586 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: October 19, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »

The following have been duly elected:

Antonio V
Hamilton
Kalwejt
Smid
Cinyc
Fezzyfestoon

With the Assembly size increased to Eight, the Governor needs to appoint two Reps. Smiley

The New Assembly starts at Midnight, or about 17 minutes.

Why wouldn't the election determine the other two new members?

They didn't accept write-ins therefore those votes aren't valid.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #376 on: October 19, 2009, 10:48:39 PM »

Dr. Cynic voted for himself, which I thought was the equivalent of accepting write-ins.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #377 on: October 19, 2009, 10:51:22 PM »

Dr. Cynic voted for himself, which I thought was the equivalent of accepting write-ins.

I'm not sure if we have that rule. We could. And I'm not sure if those who don't meet quota are rejected.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #378 on: October 19, 2009, 11:20:45 PM »

I'm not sure if we have that rule. We could. And I'm not sure if those who don't meet quota are rejected.

I'm not even sure we have an acceptance of write-ins rule - that's a federal thing. Article V, Section v of the New Northeast Constitution only says "Candidates for the Legislative Assembly will be given until the second Friday of the month in which he or she wishes to run in an election thereof to announce his candidacy. This is to be done by officially declaring his or her's candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread. "    It says nothing about write-ins.  

The old Northeastern Voting Regulations only says "In order to be listed on the ballot, a candidate must have announced an intention to run 7 days before the day appointed for the election to begin. If the candidate has not announced an intention before this deadline and wishes to run, that citizen should have write in candidacy status. " - but that pre-New Northeast Constitution law arguably only applies to the Governor's race and is probably superseded by the New Northeast Constitution.

The law requiring acceptance of write-in votes is a federal one, not a Northeastern one.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #379 on: October 19, 2009, 11:22:20 PM »

I'm not even sure we have an acceptance of write-ins rule - that's a federal thing. Article V, Section v of the New Northeast Constitution only says "Candidates for the Legislative Assembly will be given until the second Friday of the month in which he or she wishes to run in an election thereof to announce his candidacy. This is to be done by officially declaring his or her's candidacy in the Candidate Declaration Thread. "    It says nothing about write-ins.  

The old Northeastern Voting Regulations only says "In order to be listed on the ballot, a candidate must have announced an intention to run 7 days before the day appointed for the election to begin. If the candidate has not announced an intention before this deadline and wishes to run, that citizen should have write in candidacy status. " - but that pre-New Northeast Constitution law arguably only applies to the Governor's race and is probably superseded by the New Northeast Constitution.

The law requiring acceptance of write-in votes is a federal one, not a Northeastern one.

In that case, we should work on amending this to resolve this confusion. Write-ins should have to be accepted.

And what about quota issues? I don't think they are addressed either.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #380 on: October 19, 2009, 11:29:45 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2009, 11:32:08 PM by cinyc »

In that case, we should work on amending this to resolve this confusion. Write-ins should have to be accepted.

And what about quota issues? I don't think they are addressed either.

Quota issues meaning what?  Tallying of votes? The New Northeast Constitution expressly adopted Sections 4-17 of the federal Proportional Representation Act, unless this Assembly decides otherwise.

Note that we didn't adopt Section 3 of the PRA, which would have adopted the federal write-in rules through the back door.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #381 on: October 19, 2009, 11:46:42 PM »

it is precedent in the Northeast to need write ins to be confirmed through votes. Just look at the February 2009 Lt Governor race, where the top vote getter did not win.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #382 on: October 19, 2009, 11:49:06 PM »

it is precedent in the Northeast to need write ins to be confirmed through votes. Just look at the February 2009 Lt Governor race, where the top vote getter did not win.

Votes for themselves?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #383 on: October 19, 2009, 11:50:51 PM »

Votes for themselves?

Yeah
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #384 on: October 19, 2009, 11:59:31 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 12:03:17 AM by cinyc »

Votes for themselves?

Yeah

Well Dr. Cynic did that.  Connor Flynn/Montag may have if Rocky is for some unknown reason (to me) him.  Mr. Moderate did not.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #385 on: October 20, 2009, 12:00:20 AM »

Votes for themselves?

Yeah

Well Dr. Cynic did that.  Connor Flynn/Montag may have if Rocky is for some unknown reason him.  Mr. Moderate did not.

Conor Flynn/Montag/Rocky/Rockefeller Republican is all the same person.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #386 on: October 20, 2009, 10:23:00 AM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 10:25:07 AM by Now Elected Rep. Kalwejt »

Antonio V
Hamilton
Kalwejt
Smid
Cinyc
Fezzyfestoon

With the Assembly size increased to Eight, the Governor needs to appoint two Reps. Smiley

So there are 3 ProCons, 2 JCP-ers and, now, 1 LFN?

Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #387 on: October 20, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »

Why would Dr. Cynic and Rocky Republican not be the seventh and eighth members, respectively?  Why does the Governor get to appoint, even though the public just voted?
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2009, 12:32:08 PM »

If the size of the assembly were to add 2 additional members by the time of the election, they would be elected to it if they stated that they are accepting write in votes. I could easily just appoint the two of them if they are still interested. They just need to let me know.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2009, 12:56:53 PM »

We don't need to appoint two members, but just to make work normal electoral proceedings : Dr Cynic and Conor Flynn are elected since they both accepted write-ins.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #390 on: October 20, 2009, 01:50:12 PM »

Antonio V
Hamilton
Kalwejt
Smid
Cinyc
Fezzyfestoon

I'm an independent.  It's 2/2/1/1, pending the election of Dr. Cynic and Conor Flynn.  If those two are deemed elected, the composition should be 2 PCP, 2 JCP, 2 LFN (+Dr. Cynic), 1 DA (+ Conor/Rocky/Montag/whatever he's calling himself these days) and 1 independent.

The composition of the first Assembly at the time of nomination was 2 PCP, 2 JCP, 2 independents.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #391 on: October 20, 2009, 01:52:51 PM »

Antonio V
Hamilton
Kalwejt
Smid
Cinyc
Fezzyfestoon

I'm an independent.  It's 2/2/1/1, pending the election of Dr. Cynic and Conor Flynn.  If those two are deemed elected, the composition should be 2 PCP, 2 JCP, 2 LFN (+Dr. Cynic), 1 DA (+ Conor/Rocky/Montag/whatever he's calling himself these days) and 1 independent.

The composition of the first Assembly at the time of nomination was 2 PCP, 2 JCP, 2 independents.

Nice to see how balaced the composition is.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #392 on: October 20, 2009, 06:41:23 PM »

Since most of elected (if not all) Representatives took an oath, I believe that we're now on the session.

If so (of course correct me if I'm wrong Smiley), we should proceed with election of Speaker for the current term. From my side I'd like to say, if Smid is going to run again, I shall suport him. Otherwise, I'm considering running for speaker myself.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #393 on: October 20, 2009, 06:43:30 PM »

If I am re-elected, I will run should Smid not seek another term as Speaker. However, if he does, I will gladly and proudly support him for the position.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #394 on: October 20, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 06:49:10 PM by Northeast Lt. Governor Barnes »

Since most of elected (if not all) Representatives took an oath, I believe that we're now on the session.

If so (of course correct me if I'm wrong Smiley), we should proceed with election of Speaker for the current term. From my side I'd like to say, if Smid is going to run again, I shall suport him. Otherwise, I'm considering running for speaker myself.

Has it been determined if the 7th and 8th seats were elected, or if the Governor has to appoint them?

And, yes, the Speakership election will be the first order of business. Smiley
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #395 on: October 20, 2009, 06:48:01 PM »

Has it been determined if the 7th and 8th seats were elected, or if the Governor has to appoint them?

And, yes, the Speakership election will be the first oder of business. Smiley

They were elected.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #396 on: October 20, 2009, 07:01:06 PM »

They were elected.

Saying it's so doesn't make it so.  The Governor has not issued any new certification.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #397 on: October 20, 2009, 07:03:19 PM »

They were elected.

Saying it's so doesn't make it so.  The Governor has not issued any new certification.

They were the 7th and 8th vote getters, so I don't see how they aren't elected based on recent evidence of write-in rules.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #398 on: October 20, 2009, 07:05:52 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2009, 11:02:39 PM by cinyc »

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Nor do I, but the Governor, as agent for the CJO, has certified nothing of the sort. We need a certification first.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #399 on: October 20, 2009, 10:58:16 PM »

Actually, the large Assembly could be cool as long as we can find more candidates next time. The Committee idea will work better this way.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies