Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:59:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377495 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: October 06, 2009, 08:07:24 PM »

Since everyone has voted, there is no reason to keep voting open until Midnight. Smiley

With four Ayes and two Nays, I hereby certify that the Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill has received enough votes to pass.

I hereby present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #201 on: October 06, 2009, 08:12:09 PM »

Economic Recovery Tax Act of 2009
Three sections shall be added to the Northeast Tax Code as follows:

1.  Investment Tax Credit
(a) All individual and corporate taxpayers shall be entitled to a tax credit equal to the full amount of any capital expenditure made during the 2009 tax year that would otherwise have been required to be depreciated over time under the Northeast Tax Code.
(b) This tax credit shall be subject to recapture if a taxpayer sells or otherwise disposes of the capital asset subject to this credit before the end of the period during which such capital asset would have been required to be depreciated under the Northeast Tax Code but for the provisions of Section 1(a).
(c) The Northeast Tax Commissioner shall have the power to issue regulations preventing the abuse of Section 1(a).

2. Making Work Pay Tax Credit
(a) All individual taxpayers shall be entitled to a $1,000 tax credit against earned income in the 2009 tax year.
(b) The availability of this credit shall not be subject to any income limitations otherwise provided in the Northeast Tax Code.
(c) This credit shall not be refundable.

3. Taxation of Unemployment Benefits
The first $25,000 of unemployment benefits received during each of the 2009 and 2010 tax years shall not be subject to tax under the Northeast Tax Code.

Effective Date
This Act shall be effective for income received during the 2009 and, where specified, 2010 tax years, regardless of whether earned before the date hereof.

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The motion is that the Bill be considered.

All of that opinion say "Aye," to the contrary, "No." The Ayes have it.

The sponsor, Representative cinyc, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #202 on: October 06, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Thank you, Mr. Lt. Governor.

This temporary tax cut bill is in response to GM Purple State's suggestion that the Northeast provide "a one-time tax credit for small businesses and middle-income workers" in order to fight the recession.   It is targeted to provide tax relief for ALL Atlasian taxpayers who pay taxes on earned income in 2009.

Section 1 provides for an investment tax credit to all Atlasian businesses,whether conducting business as a corporation, sole proprietorship, partnership or LLC.  It allows Atlasian businesses to expense the cost of any capital investment made in 2009 if it would otherwise have been required to be depreciated over a number of years.  It includes a recapture provision so that Atlasian businesses can't game the system buy buying capital assets and selling them later this year or next (i.e. they'd have to pay back the portion of the credit that they otherwise would not have been able to depreciate under current law to the government if they sell the property).  And it includes a provision for the Northeast Tax Commissioner to promulgate regulations to prevent any other abuse.

It's my hope that the Investment Tax Credit would cause Northeast businesses to buy big ticket items like computer systems, cars and equipment, helping fuel economic recovery in the Northeast and the rest of Atlasia.

Section 2 provides a $1,000"making work pay" tax credit to all Northeast citizens who worked for a living this year.  That is, working Northeast citizens will not be required to pay the first $1,000 in tax that they otherwise would have. 

It's my hope that Northeast citizens will use their tax savings to make ends meet, pay down debt and buy stuff, stimulating the Northeast and Atlasian economies.

Section 3 provides a tax break for those Northeast citizens who have lost their job and are collecting unemployment benefits in 2009 and 2010.  The last thing they need to worry about in these tough economic times is how they're going to pay Northeast taxes that would otherwise be owed on their unemployment benefits.   It's also important to provide this tax relief to put our unemployed citizens on rough par with working Atlasians who are entitled to the $1,000 "making work pay tax" credit in 2009.

Granted, these tax relief provisions may put our budget temporarily into deficit.  But all three provisions are temporary.  In fact, the Investment Tax Credit may actually increase potential tax collections in future years, since companies otherwise would be depreciating those assets over time, cutting their tax bill in those years and may be subject to recapture.  And providing tax relief is the right thing to do in these tough economic times.

Thank you.  I now open the floor to debate and amendments.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #203 on: October 06, 2009, 09:07:42 PM »

Since everyone has voted, there is no reason to keep voting open until Midnight. Smiley

With four Ayes and two Nays, I hereby certify that the Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill has received enough votes to pass.

I hereby present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.

The Governor has vetoed the Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #204 on: October 06, 2009, 09:13:41 PM »

The Question before us is:

"Shall the Governor's veto of the Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill be overridden?"

Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Also, Reps. are still allowed to debate and propose Amendments to the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 2009, since this is a veto override.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #205 on: October 06, 2009, 09:18:50 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2009, 09:20:48 PM by cinyc »

I move that the vote on the veto override be suspended until the vote on Representative Mr.  Moderate's motion to amend the SOAP is resolved.  (And vote Aye)

I also vote Aye on Rep. Mr. Moderate's motion to discuss amending the SOAP.

I think he needs another vote for it to come on the agenda. 

I also move that we discuss Rep. Mr. Moderate's motion to amend the SOAP simultaneously with the current bill on the floor.   (And vote Aye)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #206 on: October 06, 2009, 09:21:42 PM »

I move that the vote on the veto override be suspended until the vote on Representative Mr.  motion to amend the SOAP is resolved.  (And vote Aye)

I also move that we discuss Rep. Mr. Moderate's motion to amend the SOAP simultaneously with the current bill on the floor.   (And vote Aye)

Good point. I will remove this form the agenda, UNTIL the SOAP discussion is finished. So, make it short guys. I don't want to be overriding this veto in November! Wink
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #207 on: October 06, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »

I move that the vote on the veto override be suspended until the vote on Representative Mr.  motion to amend the SOAP is resolved.  (And vote Aye)

Good point. I will remove this form the agenda, UNTIL the SOAP discussion is finished. So, make it short guys. I don't want to be overriding this veto in November! Wink

I don't think you can do this unilaterally.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #208 on: October 06, 2009, 09:28:48 PM »

I don't think you can do this unilaterally.

You're probably right.

The Question Before us is:

"Shall the Assembly suspend voting on the override of the Governor's veto, until after debate on amending the SOAP has finished?" 
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #209 on: October 06, 2009, 09:56:51 PM »

Aye (on debating amendments to the SOAP).
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #210 on: October 06, 2009, 11:37:29 PM »

Aye (on debating amendments to the SOAP).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #211 on: October 07, 2009, 12:46:58 AM »

Sigh... Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #212 on: October 07, 2009, 12:48:28 AM »

Well, under the SOAP, we can't take up the amendments to it until after the current piece of legislation is off of it.  So we either have to agree to my motion to take SOAP amendments under consideration simultaneously with the current legislation on the floor, or I may have to table my bill.

And we still have to decide what to do about the override.  That's why I made my motion to suspend voting until after the SOAP amendment discussion is complete.  There's no sense trying to override if we conclude that we don't have that power.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #213 on: October 07, 2009, 12:49:10 AM »

On what?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #214 on: October 07, 2009, 12:50:59 AM »

Isn't it clear ? on debating amendments to the SOAP
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #215 on: October 07, 2009, 12:54:24 AM »

Since we are amending SOAP, here is something to make us go faster. Debates have beeen really too long and we still have many things to debate...

Amendment to the SOAP

Section 3, subsection a) is amended as follows :

Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h), all proposed legislation other than veto override votes shall be open for debate for no less than until fourty-eight (48) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #216 on: October 07, 2009, 01:14:08 AM »
« Edited: October 07, 2009, 01:16:20 AM by cinyc »

Since nobody seems to want to vote on holding two votes simultaneously, I hereby table the Economic Recovery Tax Act of 2009 so that we can discuss amendments to the SOAP ASAP.

I propose one additional set of amendments to the SOAP.  Let's call them the "If everyone has Voted Amendment", which makes clear that Lt. Governor Barnes' position that he can close votes early if everyone has voted is correct:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I support Representative Antonio V's amendment limiting debate to 48 hours (subject to deleting the override language if we agree we don't have that power).  That's about all we needed on the first bill.

I still question whether we are constitutionally blocked from overriding vetoes.  Under my interpretation of the New Northeast Constitution, if the Assembly passes a bill again after a veto, it is effectively overridden.  Perhaps the SOAP's terminology isn't correct - instead of a veto override, we should be calling it re-passage of the bill.   I'd be interested in hearing other Representatives' thoughts on the matter.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #217 on: October 07, 2009, 01:18:15 AM »

Since we are amending SOAP, here is something to make us go faster. Debates have beeen really too long and we still have many things to debate...

Amendment to the SOAP

Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h), all proposed legislation other than veto override votes shall be open for debate for no less than until fourty-eight (48) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor.

Aye on this
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #218 on: October 07, 2009, 01:40:58 AM »

Aye on the Lt. Governor's question:
"Shall the Assembly suspend voting on the override of the Governor's veto, until after debate on amending the SOAP has finished?"
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #219 on: October 07, 2009, 07:34:22 AM »

Aye to suspend the override vote, however, I am amenable to having debate open and continue on the Economic Recovery Act.

I would also like to make known my support for the two proposed amendments to the SOAP by Rep. AntonioV and Rep. Cinyc.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #220 on: October 07, 2009, 08:01:45 AM »

I have just introduced legislation in the New Legislation thread calling for an amendment to the constitution to address what I believe to be a major constitutional gap regarding veto overrides.  If possible, I would like to further suspend the rules to allow the Assembly to address the amendment, concurrent with debate on the SOAP, to expedite the process and allow its placement on the October ballot.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #221 on: October 07, 2009, 02:35:42 PM »

I have just introduced legislation in the New Legislation thread calling for an amendment to the constitution to address what I believe to be a major constitutional gap regarding veto overrides.  If possible, I would like to further suspend the rules to allow the Assembly to address the amendment, concurrent with debate on the SOAP, to expedite the process and allow its placement on the October ballot.

Aye

Even though I think we have the power to override vetoes under the current constitution by passing the same bill twice, we need to reform the process.  A simple majority vote (or even a 2/3rds vote since that's the same thing in an Assembly of 6) shouldn't be enough to override a veto.  I look forward to working with you on the amendment, which should also clean up the inconsistent use of Assembly/Legislature in Article IV.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #222 on: October 07, 2009, 03:34:37 PM »

Amendment to the SOAP

Aye

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #223 on: October 07, 2009, 05:40:10 PM »

Amendment to the SOAP

Aye on this
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #224 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:51 PM »

Aye on all of the SOAP amendments.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies