Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:16:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377500 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: October 01, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »

Can we vote?

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #101 on: October 01, 2009, 02:01:41 PM »

Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #102 on: October 01, 2009, 02:09:20 PM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2009, 02:12:17 PM »

We got it. Wink
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2009, 12:53:13 AM »

Aye.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #105 on: October 02, 2009, 12:55:02 AM »

When do my colleagues wish to begin debating "real" legislation?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #106 on: October 02, 2009, 01:49:35 AM »

In absence of a legislation introduction thread, I'll post this here.

Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill

Section A: Exemptions

1.   This act only applies to public high schools (grades 9/10-12)
2.   This act does not apply to schools with less than 400 enrolled students.
3.   This requirements included in this act take effect starting with the class of 2015.

Section B: Safe Sex Education Requirements

1.   Completion of at least one semester of sexual health is required for all high school students in order to graduate.
2.   The course must teach about methods of contraception, including condoms and birth-control pills, as well as proper usage of said methods.
3.   The course must teach that abstinence is the safest way to avoid venereal diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
4.   The course must teach sexual anatomy, including the functions of male and female reproductive organs.
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer and prostate cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Section C: Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach how HIV/AIDS is contracted, the effects of HIV/AIDS, and how to best avoid HIV/AIDS.
2.   The course must also cover herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis, and human papilloma virus (HPV).
3.   The course must provide a list of local clinics that provide testing for STDs.

Section D: Pregnancy Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach the developmental process of the pregnancy, including zygotes, embryos, and fetuses.
2.   The course must teach that adoption and abortion are both options for unwanted pregnancies.
3.   The course must provide a list of pregnancy help clinics that provide counseling and information regarding how to handle being pregnant.
4.   All women under the age of 18 seeking the termination of a pregnancy are required to attend a 90 minute counseling session that covers the actual procedure, the risk involved, how to handle an abortion and maintain mental and physical health, and alternative options to abortion such as adoption.

Section E: Privacy Requirements

1.   The course must respect the students’ right to privacy.
2.   Students must NOT be pressured into answering questions they are uncomfortable with.
3.   Teachers are expected and required not to reveal any private details from private conversations related to the course material.

Section F: Clarification

1.     This act replaces all existing overlapping policy in the Northeast region as soon as it takes effect.

Sponsors:
Rep. Hamilton and Rep. Kalwejt
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #107 on: October 02, 2009, 05:29:09 AM »

The motion is that the Bill be considered.

All of that opinion say "Aye," to the contrary, "No." I think the Ayes have it.

The sponsor, Representative Hamilton, has the floor.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #108 on: October 02, 2009, 05:40:08 AM »

I think the bill is a good mandate for our youth. Teenagers often make poor decisions, especially regarding sex, and I think this mandate will demonstrate the seriousness of the issue. We must work to educate, not pressure, but teach with good faith, our youth about the risks that come along with sex. This bill aims to prevent sexually transmitted diseases and encourage frequent testing, reduce abortions and teen pregnancies, encourage abstinence without forcing it, and overall teaching our youth how to keep their bodies healthy and safe. It also seeks to offer information about where teenagers can go for help- local clinics, etc.

There may be some "controversial" provisions but there is nothing in this bill that is extreme or anti-religious. This is a bipartisan development that reaches across the aisle to address concerns shared by Northeasterners of all ideologies- teen pregnancy, STD prevention, breast/prostate cancer, contraception, and the recently explosive issue-- abortion. But these issues are considered in manner that is essentially nonideological and seeks to do nothing more than educate and protect Northeastern citizens and minimize risk for our children.

I urge my colleagues to consider and eventually support this bill. I now will yield to cosponsor Rep. Kalwejt. Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #109 on: October 02, 2009, 06:15:42 AM »

Mr. Speaker, fellow Representatives

The history teach us that ignoring this issue and pretending, that if we would not talk about teenage population sex life, nothing would happen, is a great mistake. Unwanted pregnancies in very young age, when the people are simply not ready for such responsibility like parenity, transmition of sexual dieases, etc. etc. We cannot force teenagers to not have a sexual relationships and in fact this is their rights. But we need to do whatever we can to help them understand the seriousness of this matter. And we can only help them by providing this needed knowledge how to avoid such "troubles".

I agree with my colleague from Massachusetts that this is not political matter and can be dealed with without partisianship. This is about our youth and we were sworn-in to serve all of our citizens. Long-time lack of such legislation was wrong thing, but now we have a chance to repair this.

Thank you. I yeild the florr to whatever Representative designated to speak now Wink
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #110 on: October 02, 2009, 07:41:43 AM »

What is the rationale behind exempting schools with less than 400 students?

Further, I know that the Northeast has a lot of pro-life relics on the books from its halycon days. Since this bill deals with abortions and those under the age of 18, I ask: Do we have a parental notification law in place?
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #111 on: October 02, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »
« Edited: October 02, 2009, 09:09:14 AM by Ebowed »

4.   All women under the age of 18 seeking the termination of a pregnancy are required to attend a 90 minute counseling session that covers the actual procedure, the risk involved, how to handle an abortion and maintain mental and physical health, and alternative options to abortion such as adoption.

One of these provisions will have to be removed to resolve the inherent contradiction.  I would recommend the former.

(Unless the former provision is not taking place at the school, in which case I have to wonder exactly why mandatory counseling is included in a bill about public school sex education.  Also, will pupils under 18 who opt for adoption be required to undergo mandatory counseling where they will be notified of the potential physical and mental risks involved in continuing the pregnancy?)
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2009, 09:16:09 AM »

I tend to agree with my former Vice President.  Make this bill be about sex ed in schools, and not about what pregnant teens have to do.

I'd also like to amend the bill to ensure that school address homosexuality in a reality-based, non-moralistic way.  In my past sex-ed experience, homosexuality wasn't addressed at all, aside from an admission that it exists and a warning not to participate in anal sex.  (It was an uncomfortable mini-discussion, as you might imagine.)

(I'll figure out said amendment in the near future.)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #113 on: October 02, 2009, 11:14:47 AM »

In absence of a legislation introduction thread, I'll post this here.

Bipartisan Safe Sex Education Bill

Section A: Exemptions

1.   This act only applies to public high schools (grades 9/10-12)
2.   This act does not apply to schools with less than 400 enrolled students.
3.   This requirements included in this act take effect starting with the class of 2015.

Section B: Safe Sex Education Requirements

1.   Completion of at least one semester of sexual health is required for all high school students in order to graduate.
2.   The course must teach about methods of contraception, including condoms and birth-control pills, as well as proper usage of said methods.
3.   The course must teach that abstinence is the safest way to avoid venereal diseases and unwanted pregnancies.
4.   The course must teach sexual anatomy, including the functions of male and female reproductive organs.
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer and prostate cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Section C: Sexually Transmitted Disease Prevention Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach how HIV/AIDS is contracted, the effects of HIV/AIDS, and how to best avoid HIV/AIDS.
2.   The course must also cover herpes, chlamydia, syphilis, hepatitis, and human papilloma virus (HPV).
3.   The course must provide a list of local clinics that provide testing for STDs.

Section D: Pregnancy Education Requirements

1.   The course must teach the developmental process of the pregnancy, including zygotes, embryos, and fetuses.
2.   The course must teach that adoption and abortion are both options for unwanted pregnancies.
3.   The course must provide a list of pregnancy help clinics that provide counseling and information regarding how to handle being pregnant.

Section E: Privacy Requirements

2.   Students must NOT be pressured into answering questions they are uncomfortable with.
3.   Teachers are expected and required not to reveal any private details from private conversations related to the course material.

Section F: Clarification

1.     This act replaces all existing overlapping policy in the Northeast region as soon as it takes effect.

Sponsors:
Rep. Hamilton and Rep. Kalwejt

This is great. I approve it at 100%. Smiley

Btw, we need Mr resident's notification to make the SOAP officially pass. Wink
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #114 on: October 02, 2009, 12:03:20 PM »

I can't support this bill without a right for parents with religious objections to opt out of all or a portion of this class.  Not every family with strong religious convictions can afford to send their children to private schools.  They should not be punished by having their children forced to sit through classes that teach methods of birth control other than abstinence.

As an aside, Rep. Smid is Mr. President right now.  He could open up the proposed legislation thread if he wishes, since the Lt. Governor has temporarily devolved his power to him.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #115 on: October 02, 2009, 12:05:31 PM »

First: Motion to strike section A, subsection 2 in its entirity.

There's no need to limit this to schools with 401+ students.  If anything, it's the rural populations that need access to this information even more.

Second: Motion to strike section A, subsection 3 in its entirity, and replace it with:
2. The requirements included in this act take effect with the school year starting September 2011.

Certainly, districts will need to create a curriculum and text book publishers will need time to create materials to conform to the requirements of this act.  Once in place, there's no need to exclude people in the class of 2014, 13, and 12.

Motion to amend by insertion as Section B.6:
6. The course must address the issue of homosexuality and concerns specific to that portion of the student population, such as how same-sex partners can limit the risk of transmission of sexually transmitted disease, "coming out," and sexual discrimination.

Section B.5, motion to amend:
5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Testicular cancer is a far greater risk to this age population, and can be detected much easier via self-examination.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #116 on: October 02, 2009, 12:10:27 PM »

Oh, and motion to strike Section D.4.  I'd gladly debate its merit as a separate bill, but it seems ill-placed in this one.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #117 on: October 02, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »

I can't support this bill without a right for parents with religious objections to opt out of all or a portion of this class.  Not every family with strong religious convictions can afford to send their children to private schools.  They should not be punished by having their children forced to sit through classes that teach methods of birth control other than abstinence.

Anyone has the right to keep their opinion and beliefs, but anyone should be given the information to make their choice. Parents haven't the right to keep their children in ignocance for religious reasons.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, he didn't certify the results anyways.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #118 on: October 02, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »

With five ayes, zero nays, and one no vote, I hereby certify that the Standing Order on Assembly Procedure has passed.

Sorry about begin gone, but I will also be gone most of Saturday (taking a trip to Warm Springs), but after that I should be around. Smiley
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #119 on: October 02, 2009, 03:07:13 PM »

With five ayes, zero nays, and one no vote, I hereby certify that the Standing Order on Assembly Procedure has passed.

Sorry about begin gone, but I will also be gone most of Saturday (taking a trip to Warm Springs), but after that I should be around. Smiley

Can you please open the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation thread? 

Thanks.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #120 on: October 02, 2009, 03:12:51 PM »

Can you please open the Northeast Assembly Proposed Legislation thread? 

Thanks.

Done.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #121 on: October 02, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

There's no need to limit this to schools with 401+ students.  If anything, it's the rural populations that need access to this information even more.

Second: Motion to strike section A, subsection 3 in its entirity, and replace it with:
2. The requirements included in this act take effect with the school year starting September 2011.

Certainly, districts will need to create a curriculum and text book publishers will need time to create materials to conform to the requirements of this act.  Once in place, there's no need to exclude people in the class of 2014, 13, and 12.

6. The course must address the issue of homosexuality and concerns specific to that portion of the student population, such as how same-sex partners can limit the risk of transmission of sexually transmitted disease, "coming out," and sexual discrimination.

5.   The course must teach the common indicators of breast cancer, prostate cancer, and testicular cancer, as well as how to check the body for irregularities that are common indicators.

Testicular cancer is a far greater risk to this age population, and can be detected much easier via self-examination.

Hmm, when you try to be reasonable you actually are pretty good at this. My respect for you grew immeasurably from that one post.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #122 on: October 02, 2009, 03:32:39 PM »

Anyone has the right to keep their opinion and beliefs, but anyone should be given the information to make their choice. Parents haven't the right to keep their children in ignocance for religious reasons.

Agreed. We exempted private schools but there is no reason people with strong religious convictions should be objecting to this. I mean, they obviously created the kid in the first place so they're having sex. Their kids also need to know how to approach sex safely and intelligently.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #123 on: October 02, 2009, 03:34:29 PM »

Hmm, when you try to be reasonable you actually are pretty good at this. My respect for you grew immeasurably from that one post.

All other accepted as friendly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #124 on: October 02, 2009, 04:00:54 PM »

Agreed. We exempted private schools but there is no reason people with strong religious convictions should be objecting to this. I mean, they obviously created the kid in the first place so they're having sex. Their kids also need to know how to approach sex safely and intelligently.

Christian teaching on birth control and sex outside of marriage differs from what you'd propose students be required to be lectured about in school.  Parents should have the ultimate authority on their childrens' moral education, not the state.  Therefore, I simply can't support this bill.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies