Northeast Assembly Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:09:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 239
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 377416 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:06 PM »

The Question before us is: "Shall Smid be made Speaker of this Assembly?"
Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2009, 04:48:26 PM »

AYE
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #52 on: September 29, 2009, 05:05:07 PM »

Aye
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #53 on: September 29, 2009, 07:26:56 PM »

I think it best to refer to the rules by which the Speaker is chosen to be part of the Standing Orders. Examples of real standing orders can be seen here (plus numerous other locations). In each case, the election of Speaker is detailed in the Standing Orders (the Australian House of Reps one goes into the wording of motions and so on, very interesting and very precise):

-Australian House of Reps: http://www.aph.gov.au/house/pubs/standos/index.htm
-Australian Senate: (not standing orders, but some of the rules of debate - has links to standing orders) http://www.aph.gov.au/Senate/pubs/guides/briefno04.htm
-Victorian Leg. Assembly: http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au/assembly/standing_orders/2004-03/
-Queensland Leg Assembly: http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/legislativeAssembly/procedures.asp - click for Standing Orders. Other interesting documents also located there.
-British House of Commons: http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200809/cmstords/2/2.pdf
-Canadian House of Commons: http://www.parl.gc.ca/information/about/process/house/standingorders/toc-e.htm

As you can see from the examples, the rules are only binding on the House that passed them - so if at some time in the future, the Northeast had an Upper House/Regional Senate (not that I can see that happening), the rules/standing orders would not be binding on them.

Regarding the length of time open for debate and votes, and particularly the matter of urgency motions, I think it's important to keep the vote open for 24 hours. This is particularly the case for foreign members, as we are in different time zones.

In this sense, it's similar to Queensland Parliament's Standing Order 128 (found on page 39), which notes in point 8 that a Bill must be tabled for at least 13 calendar days after the introductory speech.

Note, however, that Standing Order 159 (page 44) allows for a majority of Members to vote that a Bill be considered urgent and therefore reduce the time requirments under SO128. This could be something we consider.

Although it has already passed, I'd like express my support for the Standing Orders relating to the election of Speaker.

I also accept the nomination for Speaker of our Assembly, and abstain from voting.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:29 PM »

I think that after election of the Speaker, we should consider including the office to the order of succession and order of precedence alike.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2009, 07:40:02 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2009, 07:42:01 PM by Northeast Representative Alexander Hamilton »

I think that after election of the Speaker, we should consider including the office to the order of succession and order of precedence alike.

Unnecessary. We simply elect a new one if Smid resigns
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2009, 07:42:00 PM »
« Edited: September 29, 2009, 07:45:49 PM by Northeast Lt. Governor Barnes »

Unnecessary. We simply elect a new one if Smid resigns.

I think he is referring to Gubernatorial succession.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2009, 07:42:34 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2009, 04:40:14 AM by Northeast Representative Kalwejt »

Unnecessary. We simply elect a new one if Smid resigns.

I think he is referring to Gubernatorial succession.

Exactly. And don;t forget order of precedence
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:55 PM »

Governor-Lt. Governor-CJO

We don't need to change it
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »

Why not, for example

Governor - Lt. Governor - CJO - Speaker?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »

I know we are still voting on the confirmation of Smid, but I will not be here for most of tonight and tomorrow. So, I think it is necessary for someone to "watch after" the Assembly.

Therefore, I hereby designate Smid as Acting Speaker of the Assembly, effective at Ten o' clock tonight and in force until I expressly state I am able to preside over the Assembly.

Also, Smid, if you are elected Speaker, and are still Acting Speaker, go ahead and consider yourself the "real" Speaker.

I hope to not cause any controversy over this, but I just want the Assembly to run smoothly. Smiley
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: September 29, 2009, 10:28:16 PM »

BTW, line of sucsession goes Governor, Lt. Governor, CJO. As Rep. Hamilton stated, there is no need to change it. In my entire time here in the Northeast, the only time that its gone far down to CJO was after Fezzy resigned as Governor, and Rin resigned as Lt. Governor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2009, 12:10:00 AM »

Aye on Smid for Speaker.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 12:49:23 AM »
« Edited: September 30, 2009, 12:51:12 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

The Question before us is: "Shall Smid be made Speaker of this Assembly?"
Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours.

Aye

Btw, has the speaker the right to certify results in the place of Lt Gov ?
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 12:50:28 AM »

Smid is officially Speaker of the Northeast Assembly!
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 01:11:48 AM »

I've skimmed the Senate's complex rules regarding debate and voting procedures - the often-amended OSPR.   Yikes! 

I don't think a regional Assembly needs a Standing Order that is quite that complex.  In fact, I can't find any equivalent resolution passed by the Mideast Assembly.  Nevertheless, I think we should enact some sort of Standing Order on Assembly Procedure (SOAP), though - at a minimum, limiting the number of bills that can be on the floor at one time (1? 2? 3?), the order in which they shall be taken up (chronologically in the order proposed?  Lt. Governor's discretion?), and specifying a period for debate (72 hours?) and a voting period (24 hours?).   Otherwise, there may be chaos going forward.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 01:14:31 AM »

I've skimmed the Senate's complex rules regarding debate and voting procedures - the often-amended OSPR.   Yikes! 

I don't think a regional Assembly needs a Standing Order that is quite that complex.  In fact, I can't find any equivalent resolution passed by the Mideast Assembly.  Nevertheless, I think we should enact some sort of Standing Order on Assembly Procedure (SOAP), though - at a minimum, limiting the number of bills that can be on the floor at one time (1? 2? 3?), the order in which they shall be taken up (chronologically in the order proposed?  Lt. Governor's discretion?), and specifying a period for debate (72 hours?) and a voting period (24 hours?).   Otherwise, there may be chaos going forward.

I can accept all of these standards.
Smid
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #67 on: September 30, 2009, 01:35:26 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kp_kwUt7awo

I've skimmed the Senate's complex rules regarding debate and voting procedures - the often-amended OSPR.   Yikes! 

I don't think a regional Assembly needs a Standing Order that is quite that complex.  In fact, I can't find any equivalent resolution passed by the Mideast Assembly.  Nevertheless, I think we should enact some sort of Standing Order on Assembly Procedure (SOAP), though - at a minimum, limiting the number of bills that can be on the floor at one time (1? 2? 3?), the order in which they shall be taken up (chronologically in the order proposed?  Lt. Governor's discretion?), and specifying a period for debate (72 hours?) and a voting period (24 hours?).   Otherwise, there may be chaos going forward.

I agree that we need a simple list of Standing Orders (SOAP). I would suggest we debate a single Bill at a time and for the order to be decided chronologically in the order proposed - perhaps having a separate thread for Bills drafted (and then debated in the order they appear in that thread). A Bill could perhaps be given urgency to be debated out of order (and with a shortened time period) by a simple majority vote on a motion to do so, something along the lines of:

Mover of the Bill: I move that so much of the Standing Orders be suspended that would prevent the [Name of Bill] Bill receiving the consideration of the House.

Speaker/Lt Gov: All of that opinion say "Aye," to the contrary, "No".

(voting accordingly. Vote ceases once a majority is attained or a majority have voted against, or 24 hours have elapsed).

Speaker/Lt Gov: I think the Ayes have it.

Mover of the Bill: I move that the [Name of Bill] Bill be read a second time (debate thus commences).
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: September 30, 2009, 07:44:03 AM »

That seems good. Is someone going to write it ?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #69 on: September 30, 2009, 10:27:05 AM »

I'll draft something when I get a chance, hopefully later today.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #70 on: September 30, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »

I'll draft something when I get a chance, hopefully later today.

Great. Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2009, 01:25:42 PM »

This is moving along nicely. I'll hopefully get the Northeast regional report up this week. Smiley Good job everyone.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2009, 02:08:01 PM »
« Edited: September 30, 2009, 02:12:09 PM by cinyc »

Here's my first draft:

Standing Order on Assembly Procedure

1. Proposed Legislation Thread
(a) The Lt. Governor shall open a new Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread at the start of each Northeast Assembly term.
(b) Representatives shall post the full text of any proposed legislation in a response to the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread for the current term.  Each response shall contain only one piece of proposed legislation. 
(c) Nothing shall be posted to the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread except proposed legislation.

2. Movement of Legislation to the Northeast Assembly Floor
(a) Except as provided in subsection (c), the Lt. Governor shall introduce legislation from the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread on the Northeast Assembly floor in chronological order, starting with the earliest piece of proposed legislation, except that the Lt. Governor shall not introduce more than two (2) pieces of legislation from the same Representative before introducing legislation from other Representatives that has been proposed before the date such third piece of proposed legislation would have otherwise been brought to the Northeast Assembly floor.
(b) Only one piece of legislation shall be placed on the Northeast Assembly floor at a time.
(c)  Any Representative may make a motion to suspend section 2(a) of this Standing Order to move a piece proposed legislation to the top of the queue.  The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor.  Such vote shall be open for 24 hours.  If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the Lt. Governor shall move such piece of proposed legislation to the Northeast Assembly floor immediately after any legislation then currently on the Northeast Assembly floor is voted upon or tabled.

3. Legislative Debates and Voting
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h), all proposed legislation shall be open for debate until seventy-two (72) hours after the Lt. Governor introduces it to the Northeast Assembly floor.
(b) During debate, Representatives may suggest amendments to proposed legislation.  If the sponsor of the proposed legislation publicly deems the amendment friendly, no vote on the amendment shall be required.  If the sponsor of the proposed legislation does not publicly deem the amendment friendly, a vote on the amendment shall be taken at the end of the debate period.
(c) The sponsor of a proposed amendment may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before the end of the debate period.
(d) A vote will be held on all proposed amendments not deemed friendly at the end of the debate period.  Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours.  An amendment shall pass  if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
(e)  The sponsor of a piece of proposed legislation may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before a final vote is taken on the proposed legislation.
(f) A final vote the proposed legislation shall take place immediately after the Lt. Governor certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period).  Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours.  A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
(g) The Lt. Governor shall certify the results of any vote within twenty-four (24) hours of the end of the voting period.
(h) Any Representative may make a motion to suspend sections 3(a), 3(d) or 3(f) of this Standing Order to increase or decrease the time of the debate or voting period.  The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor.  Such vote shall be open for 24 hours.  If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the relevant period shall be changed.

4. Terminology
(a) All legislation regarding the rules of the Northeast Assembly shall be called Standing Orders.
(b) All proposed legislation that requires the signature of the Governor shall be called a Bill until signed and thereafter an Act.
(c) The Lt. Governor shall maintain a public list of Standing Orders, unsuccessful bills actually voted upon, and Acts in the Atlasia Wiki for the Northeast, with a link to the text of such legislation.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #73 on: September 30, 2009, 02:16:37 PM »

Here's my first draft:

Standing Order on Assembly Procedure

1. Proposed Legislation Thread
(a) The Lt. Governor shall open a new Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread at the start of each Northeast Assembly term.
(b) Representatives shall post the full text of any proposed legislation in a response to the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread for the current term.  Each response shall contain only one piece of proposed legislation. 
(c) Nothing shall be posted to the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread except proposed legislation.

2. Movement of Legislation to the Northeast Assembly Floor
(a) Except as provided in subsection (c), the Lt. Governor shall introduce legislation from the Northeast Assembly proposed legislation thread on the Northeast Assembly floor in chronological order, starting with the earliest piece of proposed legislation, except that the Lt. Governor shall not introduce more than two (2) pieces of legislation from the same Representative before introducing legislation from other Representatives that has been proposed before the date such third piece of proposed legislation would have otherwise been brought to the Northeast Assembly floor.
(b) Only one piece of legislation shall be placed on the Northeast Assembly floor at a time.
(c)  Any Representative may make a motion to suspend section 2(a) of this Standing Order to move a piece proposed legislation to the top of the queue.  The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor.  Such vote shall be open for 24 hours.  If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the Lt. Governor shall move such piece of proposed legislation to the Northeast Assembly floor immediately after any legislation then currently on the Northeast Assembly floor is voted upon or tabled.

3. Legislative Debates and Voting
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsection (h), all proposed legislation shall be open for debate until seventy-two (72) hours after the Lt. Governor introduces it to the Northeast Assembly floor.
(b) During debate, Representatives may suggest amendments to proposed legislation.  If the sponsor of the proposed legislation publicly deems the amendment friendly, no vote on the amendment shall be required.  If the sponsor of the proposed legislation does not publicly deem the amendment friendly, a vote on the amendment shall be taken at the end of the debate period.
(c) The sponsor of a proposed amendment may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before the end of the debate period.
(d) A vote will be held on all proposed amendments not deemed friendly at the end of the debate period.  Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours.  An amendment shall pass  if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
(e)  The sponsor of a piece of proposed legislation may remove it from the Assembly floor by tabling it at any time before a final vote is taken on the proposed legislation.
(f) A final vote the proposed legislation shall take place immediately after the Lt. Governor certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period).  Such vote shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours.  A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
(g) The Lt. Governor shall certify the results of any vote within twenty-four (24) hours of the end of the voting period.
(h) Any Representative may make a motion to suspend sections 3(a), 3(d) or 3(f) of this Standing Order to increase or decrease the time of the debate or voting period.  The motion shall be immediately put to a vote on the Northeast Assembly floor.  Such vote shall be open for 24 hours.  If the motion passes by a vote of the majority of all Representatives (with abstentions and absences counted as nay votes), the relevant period shall be changed.

4. Terminology
(a) All legislation regarding the rules of the Northeast Assembly shall be called Standing Orders.
(b) All proposed legislation that requires the signature of the Governor shall be called a Bill until signed and thereafter an Act.
(c) The Lt. Governor shall maintain a public list of Standing Orders, unsuccessful bills actually voted upon, and Acts in the Atlasia Wiki for the Northeast, with a link to the text of such legislation.

I will support these rules
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: September 30, 2009, 02:22:14 PM »

No one answered or addressed my question the first time, so allow me to repeat it (with some rephrasing): Are citizens still able to propose legislation with signatories, or are we now just a mini-fed?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 239  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies