Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:34:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379530 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #75 on: October 26, 2009, 03:49:26 AM »

I really hold to keeping a link between votes and number of reps. This is the fairest way to ensure that NE active citizens will be decently represented. I think it would make no sense to have, for example, 6 member with 12 voters, or 3 members with 30 voters.
The number of representatives we need is intrinsically linked with the number of voters. My only mistake was not to understand this when I wrote the CRA.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #76 on: October 26, 2009, 08:24:47 AM »

There's no reason to make this miserably complicated for no reason other than someone's desire to see things get miserably complicated.

I'm sorry to see once again I'm fighting against everybody. The simplest solution isn't always the better, and people really need to think about every eventuality before peremptorily claiming : "Let's make so, it's simpler !".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #77 on: October 26, 2009, 02:29:59 PM »

Yes, this is unfriendly. It seems that the battle is already lost but can not accept it just because you want to make it simpler. The argument "It's too complicated" makes no sense. As for zombies, people who want to use them will do whatever the system is.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #78 on: October 26, 2009, 03:26:11 PM »

Yes, this is unfriendly. It seems that the battle is already lost but can not accept it just because you want to make it simpler. The argument "It's too complicated" makes no sense. As for zombies, people who want to use them will do whatever the system is.

It's not that it's too complex, it's that it's too unstable.  A legislative body needs some modicum of stability—people need to have a basic concept of how it works.  No one knew what the heck was going on after the last election, and that's a problem.

If you REALLY want the size of the Assembly tied to the size of the active population, allow for a periodic redistricting, say, twice a year.

Ok, I guess I'm not in position to impose my views.

Here is my proposal :

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is amended as follows :
2. Five Reps shall be elected. This provision can be amended by law every January and July if the Assembly considers it necessary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #79 on: October 26, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »

It's not that it's too complex, it's that it's too unstable.  A legislative body needs some modicum of stability—people need to have a basic concept of how it works.  No one knew what the heck was going on after the last election, and that's a problem.

If you REALLY want the size of the Assembly tied to the size of the active population, allow for a periodic redistricting, say, twice a year.

Ok, I guess I'm not in position to impose my views.

Here is my proposal :

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is amended as follows :
2. Five Reps shall be elected. This provision can be amended by law every January and July if the Assembly considers it necessary.

I know this may sound stupid, since you proposed it, but is this friendly? Smiley

On behalf of Rep. Hamilton I have to communicate he'd accept this as a friendly only with 6 members

Yep, I support this.

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following :
2. Six Reps shall be elected. This provision can be modified by law every January and July if the Assembly considers it necessary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #80 on: October 26, 2009, 06:02:16 PM »

Technically, if exactly 2/3 of the reps vote for veto override, this shall be considered as a tie and therefore the Lt Gov would have to break it. This is quite simple.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #81 on: October 26, 2009, 06:23:50 PM »

People need to be decently represented, and more reps we have, better it is. Plus, I don't want us to copy Mideast. Tongue

Technically, if exactly 2/3 of the reps vote for veto override, this shall be considered as a tie and therefore the Lt Gov would have to break it. This is quite simple.

The proposed amendment says "by a two-thirds majority vote" - which means a vote of 4 out of 6 should be sufficient to override.  The Lt. Governor shouldn't be involved in veto overrides - there should be no ties.

In this case, we've no constitutional problems. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #82 on: October 26, 2009, 06:45:37 PM »

It's not personal, Barnes, but I believe Lieutenant Governor should not be a presidig officer.

It's not good to perform at once executive and legislative duties.

Well, since the Lt Gove has not any other important task, I think to the contrary that it's a good thing. Smiley Many democracies do this, and it doesn't absolutely harm the Assembly's freedom.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #83 on: October 27, 2009, 03:10:40 AM »

Yeah, I accept. Smiley
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #84 on: October 27, 2009, 08:21:54 AM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2009, 07:21:20 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2009, 07:33:30 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

Look at the Proposed Legislation Thread. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2009, 12:41:34 PM »

Fellow Representatives,

The massive economic crisis we are comfronted to did many victims. Our whole financial system collapsed, several prosperous enterprises got ruined in few days, and the entire national economy was about to disappear. If this didn't happen, it's entirely thanks to a proud government, that managed to take the right decisions to avoid the crisis. Now we all know how necessary government intervention is, and how keynesianism can sav entire countries.
Now, I want to talk about those about whom we don't use to talk, even though they are the basis of our economy, our society and our nation : the people. Thousands of workers have been fired, partly because of the economic crisis, partly because of shareholders' cupidity. If this was understandable in the previous system, when our government believed like a dogma in the "laisser-faire" dogma. But now each of you knows how silly it was, and how we need the State to act in favor of a better functionin of the society. The government acted as it should for the enterprises. Now it must do the same for the people.
An enterprise that receives a public help shouldn't fire workers just to make more money, but should invest and make the entire society benefit to the wealth it creates. The collectivity helped them to survive, now they have to give something back to the collectivity. That's the purpose of this law.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2009, 06:47:20 PM »

I don't think we're currently giving money to private industry.

Stimulus bill money is managed by Regions. Therefore, we do.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The fact industry is in a bad situation is the reason why we're helping it. Since we're doing, they should use this money, among other things, to avoid firing their employees.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2009, 05:50:20 AM »

I don't think we're currently giving money to private industry.

Stimulus bill money is managed by Regions. Therefore, we do.

We have no law on our books distributing stimulus money to anyone.

Northeast Relief and Recovery Act

Section 1: Acceptance of Funds

1. The Northeast hereby accepts the funds given by the Federal Government as per F.L. 32-13: 2009 Atlasian Relief and Recovery Act.

What will we do with this money ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2009, 02:36:33 PM »

We will certainly help some businesses with this money, partly. If we don't, we have no possibility to restore the economy.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #90 on: October 29, 2009, 05:33:03 PM »

The Nor'east is in a deep struggle right now and the Atlasian dollar is worth just under 90 cents.

Rep. Cinyc, something has to be done. We need protection for the working man and woman, and we need to ensure that grafting is eliminated.

We've already provided tax relief for Northeast residents.  We have NOT yet made any Northeast stimulus funds available to Northeast businesses.  Those are the facts.  This bill is premature - and wrong-headed.

Better too soon than too late.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #91 on: October 29, 2009, 07:15:18 PM »

Not necessarily. We WILL give funds to enterprises and it's the only thing that counts.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

Shouldn't we be putting the bill on the floor to a vote?  It's been 48 hours and there are no proposed unfriendly amendments.

Theorically, we should. However, I'd present to fellow representatives a special motion to suspend the vote until things will get back normal in the Assembly.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #93 on: November 01, 2009, 04:01:43 PM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #94 on: November 03, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »

Anyways, Hamilton and Moderate votes are too late, so the Bill passed 2-1.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #95 on: November 03, 2009, 06:48:49 PM »

Fully support this.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2009, 03:18:13 PM »

That makes sense, I support this Amendment.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #97 on: November 05, 2009, 01:27:42 AM »

Nay

Standing with a paramilitary movement fighting against a democratically elected regional government makes no sense.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #98 on: November 05, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »

Fellow Representatives,

After having reflected about the consequences of recent Amendment to the Amendment proposed by Cinyc (at school Tongue), I started to fear about the possibility that just two members not voting could block any veto override, what I find dangerous.
That's why, I've decided to propose an Amendment, that I hope will be considered as friendy.

Article IV, Section xi is hereby amended as follows:

xi) The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation that the Northeast Assembly shall successfully vote in favour of. The Governor may not have the power to only veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly, within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign the successful legislation after one week, than it becomes law immediately.

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a more than two-thirds majority vote, with at least half of the total number of Reps voting in favor, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #99 on: November 05, 2009, 01:19:17 PM »

I'm offering this amendment:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a more than two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

This is almost the same, but didn't take into account the "turnout" objection, which I consider to make sense. Could I ask Rep Cinyc which version he prefers ?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies