Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:18:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379850 times)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »

Seats Number Amendment

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is amended as follows :
2. The number of Reps to be elected corresponds to the integer of the number [(V/5)+0.5], with V being the number of northeast citizens who actually vote to elect said Reps. The number of Reps shall be comprised between 2 and 10 notwithstanding what precedes.

Sponsor: Rep. AntonioV

The motion is that the Bill be considered.

All of that opinion say "Aye," to the contrary, "No." The Ayes have it.

The sponsor, Representative AntonioV, has the floor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2009, 09:25:07 AM »

Thanks to both of you for crafting this amendment

Aye Smiley

We're not holding a vote on this right now, we're debating the Amendment. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2009, 01:15:42 PM »

Well, no we just need to wait for 48 long hours... Proceedings are so boring !

Well, actually, debate lasts 72 hours:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Of course, a Rep. can propose to suspend that section, although I advise a healthy amount of debate before voting on Amendments. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2009, 03:27:16 PM »

Yes, this is unfriendly. It seems that the battle is already lost but can not accept it just because you want to make it simpler. The argument "It's too complicated" makes no sense. As for zombies, people who want to use them will do whatever the system is.

It's not that it's too complex, it's that it's too unstable.  A legislative body needs some modicum of stability—people need to have a basic concept of how it works.  No one knew what the heck was going on after the last election, and that's a problem.

If you REALLY want the size of the Assembly tied to the size of the active population, allow for a periodic redistricting, say, twice a year.

Ok, I guess I'm not in position to impose my views.

Here is my proposal :

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is amended as follows :
2. Five Reps shall be elected. This provision can be amended by law every January and July if the Assembly considers it necessary.

I know this may sound stupid, since you proposed it, but is this friendly? Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:02 AM »
« Edited: October 28, 2009, 05:26:50 PM by Northeast Lt. Governor Barnes »

Fair Distribution of Public Money Act

1. Following provisions shall apply to any private enterprise that receives a public monetary help from the Northeast Region after this law will become effective.
2. Any enterprise in this situation shall not fire any employee for economical reasons.
3. Any enterprise in this situation shall distribute less than 10% of its added value to its shareholders by year.
4. In case when an enterprise does not respect provisions of articles 2) and 3), it shall be fined of an amount equal to the total amount of money that this enterprise received from the Northeast Region.

Sponsor: AntonioV

The Question is shall the Bill be considered?

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative AntonioV, has the floor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2009, 12:20:54 PM »

Dear Mr. President

I hereby resigning the office of Northeast Representative, with immediate effect

Sincerely,
Kalwejt

Resignation accepted. Thank you for your service, Representative.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2009, 03:54:39 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on the following bill. Voting lasts twenty-four hours, please vote aye, nay, or abstain.

Fair Distribution of Public Money Act

1. Following provisions shall apply to any private enterprise that receives a public monetary help from the Northeast Region after this law will become effective.
2. Any enterprise in this situation shall not fire any employee for economical reasons.
3. Any enterprise in this situation shall distribute less than 10% of its added value to its shareholders by year.
4. In case when an enterprise does not respect provisions of articles 2) and 3), it shall be fined of an amount equal to the total amount of money that this enterprise received from the Northeast Region.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2009, 05:11:00 PM »

With two Ayes, and one Nay, and one abstention, this Bill has passed. I present it to the Governor for his Signature or Veto.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2009, 05:48:20 PM »

Veto Override Amendment

Whereas the New Constitution of the Northeast does not contain procedural language regarding the override of a Governor's veto, therefore be it resolved that the New Constitution of the Northeast be amended.

Article IV, Section xi is hereby amended as follows:

xi) The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation that the Northeast Assembly shall successfully vote in favour of. The Governor may not have the power to only veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. If the General Assembly of the Northeast Region is to have another successful vote on any piece of legislation previously vetoed, than the Governor must not veto it. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly, and must veto legislation which he does not support, within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign the successful legislation after one week, than it becomes law immediately.

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by a two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.

Sponsor: Rep. cinyc

The Question is shall the Bill be considered?

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor, Representative ciync, has the floor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2009, 08:13:38 PM »

I open an emergency vote on this resolution. Voting lasts twenty-four hours. Vote Aye, nay or Abstain.

Resolution Recognizing the RANM's Status in New Mexico

1. The Northeast Region recognizes New Mexico as a separate political entity under the control of the Revolutionary Army of New Mexico and its leader, WMS.
2. The Northeast Region hereby allows Northeastern industries to trade with New Mexico.

Legislation currently being debated has not be tabled, I will probably open a vote on that immediately after this is finished, tomorrow.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2009, 08:39:22 PM »

The vote is to open debate, under emergency procedings, yes? So one can oppose the Motion but vote in favour of the question in order to debate the motion?

Actually, this is a final vote. That's how I read his post, anyway.

That's how I read it, too, hence the question marks - since my vote will be different depending on whether this is a final vote or a motion to debate, I need the clarification before voting.

This is a final vote. I'm doing this because of the word "Emergency". But I'd love to hear your opinion. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2009, 10:06:06 PM »

The Ayes are one, the Nays are Six. With a majority of Representatives voting in the Negative, the Resolution has failed. 
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2009, 03:31:55 PM »

Well, are we going to vote on the Amendment to the Bill, or is friendly? Either way, I need to see it typed up in an actual form to insert in to the bill.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2009, 05:47:08 PM »

I open a final vote on this Bill. Voting lasts twenty-four hours. Vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain.

Veto Override Amendment

Whereas the New Constitution of the Northeast does not contain procedural language regarding the override of a Governor's veto, therefore be it resolved that the New Constitution of the Northeast be amended.

Article IV, Section xi is hereby amended as follows:

xi) The Governor has veto power over any piece of legislation that the Northeast Assembly shall successfully vote in favour of. The Governor may not have the power to only veto parts as opposed to the whole of any legislation. The Governor is required to sign all pieces of legislation he supports into law after it passes a successful vote in the Legislative Assembly within one week of its passing. Once he or she has signed the legislation, it immediately becomes law unless otherwise stated in the legislation itself. If the Governor does not sign the successful legislation after one week, than it becomes law immediately.

Article V is hereby amended by insertion as new Section xv:

xv) The Assembly shall have the power to override the Governor's veto.  If the Assembly passes legislation previously vetoed by the Governor by more than a two-thirds majority vote, it becomes law without the Governor's signature.  An override vote resulting in an exactly two-thirds majority shall be considered a tie for this purpose, to be broken by vote of the Lieutenant Governor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #64 on: November 08, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

We only need Rep. RockefellerRepublican to vote, and I can go ahead and end the voe. Can someone PM him? Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #65 on: November 08, 2009, 05:53:22 PM »

The Ayes are Seven, the Nays are zero, the Amendment has passed.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #66 on: November 08, 2009, 06:00:54 PM »

Northeast initiative for ethics in voting

Whereas :
- The action of asking people that absolutely don't take part in Atlasian politics to vote for one candidate in order to serve one person's political interest is a clear threat for democracy.
- Recent events permitted to put on light how common said practices have become.
- Northeast Region is particularly concerned by said practices.
- The absence of specific legislation on this domain at the federal level is the main cause of said practices.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that :
- Zombie voting is not welcome in the Northeast Region, and shall be fought by every legal mean.
- Every elected official of the Northeast Region shall be exemplary on this domain, for example resigning from his/her office if he/she considers that his/her election was due to zombie voters.
- The Northeast Region officially urges the Senate to pass a law that will restrict voting rights to people who really take part in Atlasia outside voting booths.

Sponsor: Rep. AntonioV

The Questions is Shall the Bill be Considered?

Those is favor, say Aye, those opposed, No.

The Ayes have it.

The Sponsor,  Antonio V, has the floor.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #67 on: November 08, 2009, 11:18:28 PM »

I hope I am not stepping across any guidelines, but I have input on the Northeast initiative for Ethics in Voting. I believe that this initiative, although with good intentions, does nothing to combat the problem at hand. It recognizes a problem, but provides no regional law against the problem. Until we take stronger action, and take this issue out of the hands of the Federal Gov't, nothing will get done.

You can comment here, but I already acknowledged that.

I just wanted to get my two cents in. I wanted to make it clear that I support the intention of this bill, but also describe how I want bills to be passed that have some practical use.

You're welcome to post your thoughts in the Assembly! We are Servants of the people! Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2009, 04:21:13 PM »

Without the amendment, I cannot support it. It's just not a realistic expectation, even if it passes this body, to think that the Senate would pass something along those lines. I don't know what it would do. It's so ambiguous. I like your intent, just not this particular initiative.

As much as I would like to see something done here... It just can't happen with this one, my friend.

Will you still keep your Amendment on the Floor? if you do, then we'll have to vote on it.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2009, 05:33:04 PM »

I open up a vote on the Amendment. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours.

Whereas :
- The action of asking people that absolutely don't take part in Atlasian politics to vote for one candidate in order to serve one person's political interest is a clear threat for democracy.
- Recent events permitted to put on light how common said practices have become.
- The absence of specific legislation on this domain at the federal level is the main cause of said practices.

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that:
- Zombie voting is not welcome in the Northeast Region, and shall be fought by every legal mean.
- Every elected official of the Northeast Region shall be exemplary on this domain, for example resigning from his/her office if he/she considers that his/her election was due to zombie voters.

- The Northeast Region officially urges the Senate to pass a law that will restrict voting rights to people who really take part in Atlasia outside voting booths.

Proposed by: Rep. Doctor Cynic
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2009, 07:33:20 PM »

BUMP for more votes. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #71 on: November 11, 2009, 07:57:58 PM »

The Ayes are three, the Nays are two; the Amendment is adopted.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #72 on: November 11, 2009, 09:13:00 PM »

I think it's too late to offer amendments under the SOAP.  Should we not proceed to a final vote on the bill, as amended?

That is the correct procedure. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #73 on: November 11, 2009, 09:57:32 PM »

Excuse me, but no. I proposed this amendment as soon as the vote was closed on the previous one. I motion to suspend SOAP and vote on it. There is no reason that I should have to interrupt on-going votes to introduce amendments that won't be voted on until after anyways.

The rules clearly state, that at the end of the debating period, all proposed amendments are voted on, and then we move on immediately to a final vote.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2009, 10:42:47 PM »

I open up a final vote on this Initiative. Please vote Aye, Nay, or Abstain. Voting lasts twenty-four hours. (I will not be here tomorrow, so, Smid is in charge on Friday.)

Whereas Sad

The Northeast Legislative Assembly states that:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies