Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:49:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379768 times)
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #475 on: April 04, 2010, 06:13:05 PM »

I'm unilaterally extending the debate period until 4:45PM tomorrow.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #476 on: April 05, 2010, 07:14:03 PM »
« Edited: April 05, 2010, 07:15:46 PM by cinyc »

Okay.  This debate has gone nowhere.  Time to put the bill to a vote:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This vote shall remain open until the earlier of 8:15 PM on Tuesday, April 6, 2010, or when all representatives shall have voted.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #477 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »

I'm going to motion to debate the CJO amendment and Seats number amendment simultaneously.

I'm going to hold off on this until after the current vote to avoid confusion.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #478 on: April 06, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »

Nay.

We already have a national guard unit.  I'm not sure what this adds.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #479 on: April 06, 2010, 09:43:42 PM »

By a vote of 4-2 with 1 express absention. one late aye vote after the voting period had ended but before I closed the vote, and one absence, the Northeastern Emergency Militia Act passes, and shall be sent to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Next bill:

CJO Term Amendment

Article VI of the Northeast Consitution is amended to read:

i) The judicial branch of the Government of the Northeast Region shall be vested in the Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast Region.

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be appointed by the Governor with the confirmation of the Legislative Assembly. He or she shall have a term of four months, with the option of renewal. Whenever the office of Chief Judicial Officer becomes vacant, then he or she must be replaced within one month.

iii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be charged with the duties of interpreting the laws of the Northeast Region and is charged to hold trials for the convicted. If someone submits a case to him or her, then the Chief Judicial Officer must make a ruling on it, giving ample time to hear arguments from any side of the issue. The Chief Judicial Officer’s rulings are to be considered precedent for all future cases.iv) No persons shall hold the positions of Governor and Chief Judicial Officer at the same time, and whereas no persons shall hold the positions of Lieutenant Governor and Chief Judicial Officer at the same time. No persons shall serve as Chief Judicial Officer and Northeast Representative at the same time.

Sponsor:Rep. hantheguitarman

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 10:45PM Eastern on Thursday, April 8, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative hantheguitarman, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #480 on: April 06, 2010, 09:45:10 PM »

There's a motion on the floor to simultaneously consider the Seats Number Amendment with the bill on the floor.

All those in favor shall vote aye, those opposed, nay. 

Debate on the CJO Term Amendment shall continue while this vote is taken.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #481 on: April 06, 2010, 09:47:56 PM »

Aye on the motion to simultaneously consider.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2010, 10:59:35 AM »

What's the substantive difference between the current wording for the CJO and the new proposed wording?
Closes a loophole about dual-office holding, and requires them to be assembly approved.

Thanks, my good colleague.

Changes the term from 1 year to 4 months, if I'm not mistaken.  That shouldn't apply retroactively, in my opinion.  I'll have an amendment.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2010, 04:09:33 PM »

Ooh, sorry I didn't see this already. Anyway, my proposed CJO Term Amendment will make the CJO more accountable to the legislature, and the people.

Is it supposed to apply retroactively to the current CJO, who has a number of months left on his term?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »

By a vote of 5-0, the motion to simultaneously consider the Seats Number Amendment passes and is placed on the floor:

Seats number Amendment to the Northeast Constitution

1. Article V Section vii) of the New Northeast Constitution is hereby repealed. Its content shall be replaced by the following:

2. Six Representatives shall be elected, unless the Assembly shall provide otherwise by Law.

Sponsor: Rep. Silent Spade

I don't want to hold votes in the middle of the debate on the other amendment on the floor - it's too confusing.  Therefore, debate on both proposed amendments will continue until 11:15PM on Friday, April 9, 2010, unless a motion to extend or shorten the debate period is made and accepted by the chair in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Silent Spade, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #485 on: April 09, 2010, 12:21:58 PM »

Proposed Amendment:

1. Article VI of the Northeast Consitution is amended to read:

i) The judicial branch of the Government of the Northeast Region shall be vested in the Chief Judicial Officer of the Northeast Region.

ii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be appointed by the Governor with the confirmation of the Legislative Assembly. He or she shall have a term of four months, with the option of renewal. Whenever the office of Chief Judicial Officer becomes vacant, then he or she must be replaced within one month.

iii) The Chief Judicial Officer is to be charged with the duties of interpreting the laws of the Northeast Region and is charged to hold trials for the convicted. If someone submits a case to him or her, then the Chief Judicial Officer must make a ruling on it, giving ample time to hear arguments from any side of the issue. The Chief Judicial Officer’s rulings are to be considered precedent for all future cases.

iv) No persons shall hold the positions of Governor and Chief Judicial Officer at the same time, and whereas no persons shall hold the positions of Lieutenant Governor and Chief Judicial Officer at the same time. No persons shall serve as Chief Judicial Officer and Northeast Representative at the same time.

2.  Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in Section 1, the current Chief Judicial Officer shall remain in office for the remainder of his term.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #486 on: April 09, 2010, 12:27:12 PM »

I did.  Because laws and constitutional amendments shouldn't apply retroactively.  The CJO's term is the CJO's term.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #487 on: April 09, 2010, 02:37:21 PM »

I did.  Because laws and constitutional amendments shouldn't apply retroactively.  The CJO's term is the CJO's term.

Whoa now......as someone who re-writes bylaws for organizations all the time, changes in the officer's terms are always effective immediately (which is not retroactively),  unless a proviso is adopted otherwise.  But it's quite normal for one not to be adopted.......so I don't see your strong objection from my vantage point.

It's certainly possible to do so, but I don't like laws that apply retroactively.  It's fundamentally unfair to change the rules in the middle of the game.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #488 on: April 09, 2010, 04:13:52 PM »

Whoa now......as someone who re-writes bylaws for organizations all the time, changes in the officer's terms are always effective immediately (which is not retroactively),  unless a proviso is adopted otherwise.  But it's quite normal for one not to be adopted.......so I don't see your strong objection from my vantage point.

It's certainly possible to do so, but I don't like laws that apply retroactively.  It's fundamentally unfair to change the rules in the middle of the game.

Well I disagree with you perception of this.....and will be voting, no.

Well, that depends on whether the sponsor deems my amendment friendly.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2010, 12:57:40 PM »

Sorry for the delay.  I've been busy.

We will now vote on Rep. Silent Spade's amendment to the CJO Amendment, as amended:

This vote shall remain open until 2:00PM on Monday, April 12, 2010, unless all Representatives shall have voted sooner.  It shall be followed by a vote on final passage of the CJO and Seats Number Amendments.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #490 on: April 11, 2010, 12:58:38 PM »

Nay
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2010, 01:04:40 PM »

With a vote of 4-4, we have a tie to be broken by the Lt. Governor.  Lt. Governor Libertas has been notified.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2010, 09:39:29 PM »

The amendment to the CJO Amendment passes.

We will now vote on both proposed amendments:

This vote will remain open until 10:40PM on April 13, 2010, unless all Representatives shall have voted sooner.  Please note that because these are amendments to the Constitution, a mere majority vote will not suffice for passage.  Voting is more important than for a regular bill due to the quorum requirement.

Please specify your vote as follows:

CJO Term Amendment:
Seats number Amendment:
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2010, 11:49:35 PM »

CJO Term Amendment:          Nay
Seats number Amendment:   Aye
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #494 on: April 13, 2010, 01:40:46 PM »

Bump for those Representatives who haven't voted.  Please remember Constitutional amendments require a supermajority for passage and your vote is more important than usual, even if it just adds another aye.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2010, 12:12:37 AM »

By a vote of 8-1, the CJO Term Amendment passes.
By a vote of 9-0, the Seats number Amendment passes.

Both will be sent to the Governor for his signature or veto.

Next bill:

Northeastern Insurance Company Regulation Act

Section I
1). No Health Insurance Company may deny a Northeastern citizen with the ability to pay Health care coverage due to a preexisting condition on the basis of a medical ailment.

2). A Health Insurance Company may not manipulate prices for specific treatments because of a discovery of a medical ailment, or a change in the customer's occupation or marital situation. A Health Insurance Company also cannot manipulate premium prices due to a customer's race, sex, country of origin, or occupation.

3). A Health Insurance Company may not drop a Northeastern Citizen's coverage due to any reason related to their current or past medical status.

Section II
1). A Insurance Company caught violating any clause in Section I of the Insurance Company Regulation Act will be subject to a fine of no less than $500,000, and no more than $2,000,000.

Sponsor: Rep. Giovanni

The question is whether the bill should be considered?

The ayes have it.

Debate on this bill will continue until at least 1:15AM Eastern on Friday, April 16, 2010, unless the debate period is extended or shortened in accordance with the SOAP.

The Sponsor, Representative Giovanni, has the floor.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »

A not entirely insane proposal in the Northeast Assembly? What the hell is going on here!

Of course you'd be in favor of a law that already does what Section 1(f) of the unconstitutional Atlasian National Healthcare Act says plus adds a discriminatory provision raising health insurance prices for young single males by forcing them to pay for services they don't need.

I oppose this bill.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #497 on: April 16, 2010, 01:14:14 AM »

A not entirely insane proposal in the Northeast Assembly? What the hell is going on here!

Of course you'd be in favor of a law that already does what Section 1(f) of the unconstitutional Atlasian National Healthcare Act says plus adds a discriminatory provision raising health insurance prices for young single males by forcing them to pay for services they don't need.

I oppose this bill.

Do you support my amendment?

Giovanni - please answer this question.  Should you not do so before noon tomorrow, I will assume the amendment is unfriendly and proceed with a vote on it.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #498 on: April 16, 2010, 07:36:39 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2010, 07:42:23 AM by cinyc »

Implementing ObamaCare in the Northeast Region? What happened to you Giovanni? Sad

Preventing insurance companies from throwing people off their coverage whenever they get sick or preventing discriminating on the basis of gender/sexual orientation/race/occupation is somehow a radical proposal?

What on earth is wrong with you people?

So car insurers charging young single males more for car insurance is okay because they're more likely to get into an accident, but health insurers charging coal miners more because they're more likely to have health issues isn't?  Insurance is supposed to insure against RISK.  Gender, sexual orientation, race and occupation matter, some categories more than others - especially occupation.  Why should I cross-subsidize someone who chooses to take a risky job?
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #499 on: April 16, 2010, 07:38:42 AM »
« Edited: April 16, 2010, 07:41:21 AM by cinyc »

Okay.  First, we will vote on Rep. Silent Spade's proposed amendment to the bill:

This vote shall remain open until 8:40AM on Saturday, April 17, unless all Representatives shall have voted sooner.  A vote on final passage shall follow.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies