Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:03:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 383932 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #225 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:39 AM »

I again bring up the following grammatical point: It should be $500 million, not millions. And billion, again, without an s. Can we please correct this as friendly?

Friendly.
What do you think about the bill itself ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #226 on: January 12, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »

It seems all very good.
Just one thing : what about subventions to enterprises employing long-time unemployed ? I think it's an important part of the bill.

Also, with the draft you have made, we have 3.5 bilion left for budget severity instead of 3. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #227 on: January 13, 2010, 07:31:37 AM »

FTR, I oppose deleting cinyc posts, and I consider that as an useless abuse of power.
Anyways, could we please come back in topic ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #228 on: January 13, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

He will be back, and sooner than you can say "IP check".
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #229 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:43 PM »

He wil be back, and sooner than you can say "IP check".

That's why I've said in the trolllist thread let me know about suspicious accounts or really any new accounts registering or posting and I can check them out or get others to check them out.

Best luck to all of you, you will have to work very hard next days...
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #230 on: January 13, 2010, 02:43:55 PM »

I tend to favor Rep. Moderate's text overall. However, after I expressed some precise concerns, he said :

I'll revise my version of the bill a little later.

So, I'd wish to see Rep. Moderate's new revision to deem it as friendly.

If we can't do anything to extend the debate period, I will deem Mr Moderate's Amendment as friendly anyways.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #231 on: January 14, 2010, 01:47:11 AM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #232 on: January 15, 2010, 12:21:48 PM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #233 on: January 15, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »

I guess the purpose of this bill is self-explanatory. More flexibility for the debating time (by suppressing the necessity of a vote), as well as limiting it too avoid excessive debating times. Plus, the possibility to end a vote as soon as the bill attains the absolute majority.
I precise, if it wasn't clear, that any power granted to the Lt Gov is authomatically granted to the speaker, so cinyc can handle this as he wishes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #234 on: January 15, 2010, 05:47:15 PM »

I don't like it so much, but I accept striking Section 2 if you really hold to that. Anyways, I hereby Amend the bill as follows :

Amendments to the SOAP for a faster legislative work

1. Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for no less than thirty-six (36) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend the debating period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 60 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 18 hours.
2. Section 3, subsection (f) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : A final vote on the proposed legislation shall take place after the Lt. Governor certifies the vote on any proposed amendments (or, if there are no such amendments, at the end of the debate period). Such votes shall be open for twenty-four (24) hours, or until an absolute majority of all Representative has voted in favor of said legislation, if earlier. A piece of proposed legislation shall pass if a majority of Representatives vote in favor of it (with abstentions and absences not counted as votes).
3. Section 3, subsection (h) of the SOAP is hereby repealed.

If there is a broad consensus on the bill, 36 hours are perfectly sufficient to handle this. If not, I increased the "potential increade" time proportionally. This will help us gaining much time for passing new legislation.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #235 on: January 17, 2010, 04:41:48 AM »

The whole point of the bill was to make the debating time the shorter possible. If you want it to be done at the same exact time, then why not setting it to 24 instead of 48 ? The potential increase period will be raised proportionally.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #236 on: January 17, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »
« Edited: January 17, 2010, 04:53:26 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

Amendments to the SOAP for a faster legislative work

1. Section 3, subsection (a) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : All proposed legislation shall be open for debate for twenty-four (24) hours after the Lt. Governor places it on the Northeast Assembly floor. The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend or shorten the debating period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the debate period shall exceed 72 hours, and no shortening shall exceed 12 hours.
2. Section 3, subsection (h) of the SOAP is hereby amended to read : The Lt. Governor shall have the authority to extend the voting period upon ask of any Representative. No extension of the voting period shall exceed 24 hours.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #237 on: January 17, 2010, 03:53:23 PM »

#1 : Nay
#2 : Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #238 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:19 AM »

This will probably be deleted, but I will reflect this in the vote count regardless of what the mods do.

I can confirm if needed I saw these votes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #239 on: January 18, 2010, 03:13:23 PM »

Aye
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #240 on: January 19, 2010, 02:08:57 AM »

Seems that everybody has voted now. So I guess we can proceed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #241 on: January 19, 2010, 02:29:55 AM »

Yes - but I'm not going to put another bill on the floor in the wee hours of the morning Eastern time.   

Sure, it would make us be too effective and quick... Roll Eyes
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #242 on: January 19, 2010, 02:32:42 AM »

Yes - but I'm not going to put another bill on the floor in the wee hours of the morning Eastern time.   

Geez, do you have to be so rude to our speaker?

I'm not being rude.

And anyways, I just noticed that Moderate didn't vote, so  we are still waiting.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #243 on: January 19, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »

It would make me have to be up in the wee hours of the morning to open the vote - unlikely.  Either way, there will be a delay.  FYI - I generally only open things up from about 12 Noon to 10 PM Eastern unless there's an emergency.

If you aren't there at the precise moment when it's required to open/close a vote, nobody would blame you. But since you are, you're supposed to respect what the SOAP provides.

And BTW, now that Moderate has voted, we can close it. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #244 on: January 19, 2010, 12:13:22 PM »

Fair enough. Anyways, is what stated by section 2a) an authomatic process or is it upon your discretion ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #245 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:50 PM »

I'd prefer a bill regulating and limiting those experiments rather than banning them. The scientific progress needs experiments on animals, it's sad but it's necessary.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #246 on: January 19, 2010, 03:01:55 PM »

Here is the Amendment I propose :

Bill Frist Act
1) All testing on non-human vertebrate animals shall not be practiced without the approval of the direction of the research unit in which they are practiced.
2) Violation of section 1 shall result in up to six months in prison and up to fifty thousand dollars in fines.
3) No research structure shall proceed to more than ten testings on non-human vertebrate animals per year.
4) Research structures not respecting section 3 shall be fined of up to five hundred thousand dollar.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

Rep. Antonio, I'm afraid I don't understand your amendment one.

Are you saying that the companies that do the research would have to get permission from the large corporation they are testing for? Somehow that does seem kinda redundant. However, if I'm misunderstanding, please correct me.

It worths for public companies as well. Yes, administrators of labs will have the power to deny a scientist the right to execute testings on animals. However, the total number of experiments is set by this same law, and aims to prevent abuses.

Fair enough. Anyways, is what stated by section 2a) an authomatic process or is it upon your discretion ?

It should be automatic, except for carryover bills that died on the floor in the last session - which we've traditionally treated as the first item on the floor after election of the Speaker.  I have spoken to the Lt. Governor, who agrees that the rule should be enforced.  Former Rep. Hamilton would have been subject to it had he not been first put on mod review, then banned.

You certainly can have someone else sponsor your bills by reposting them in the thread if you don't think we're going to get back to your legislation this session.

Well, what if a rep. introduces less than 2 bills ? I guess we can proceed to my next bill as soon as we consider some of the bills that have already been proposed.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2010, 03:13:50 PM »

Well, what if a rep. introduces less than 2 bills ? I guess we can proceed to my next bill as soon as we consider some of the bills that have already been proposed.
We'd take your bills up as soon as those Reps' bills are considered.  If a Representative has only 1 bill in the queue, he has only 1 bill in the queue.

Fine. Wink
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2010, 02:17:36 PM »

Aye
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12  
Jump to: