Northeast Assembly Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:11:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Northeast Assembly Thread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Northeast Assembly Thread  (Read 379567 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #125 on: January 30, 2010, 11:17:50 PM »

Since I want to sense of my bill be preserved and I don't see much harm (there's always a rehabilitation)...

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2010, 01:46:28 PM »

If I'm elected, I plan to store half the surplus in a "rainy-day fund" and give the rest back to the people where it belongs.

Lt. Governor don't have such power, dude Tongue

Assembly does.

I missed you're running for Assembly too. Sorry.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2010, 07:46:25 AM »

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2010, 05:46:38 AM »

Mr. Speaker. I realize this thing is rather out-of-date since things returned now to "normalcy". While it was a really huge problem for Assembly works, there are more urgent matters now indeed. So, I hereby withdraw this resolution.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: February 04, 2010, 04:07:17 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Since I've recently introduced a project of the Act which clarifies the issue of gubernatorial absention, voluntairly and unvoluntairly alike, I think it's better to include this to your amendment.

Would you consider these amendments friendly?

3. Article IV, Section xiv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows:

In the temporary absence of the Governor, then the Lieutenant Governor may be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor. The Speaker of the Northeast Assembly shall never be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor if acting in the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor pursuant to Article IV, Section xiii) of this Constitution.

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor, or the Speaker if Lieutenant Governor is not avaviable or office is vacant, to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor (or speaker as mentioned before) shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by smilliar declaration.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #130 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

Mr. Speaker,

Since I've recently introduced a project of the Act which clarifies the issue of gubernatorial absention, voluntairly and unvoluntairly alike, I think it's better to include this to your amendment.

Would you consider these amendments friendly?

3. Article IV, Section xiv of the New Northeast Constitution shall be amended as follows:

In the temporary absence of the Governor, then the Lieutenant Governor may be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor. The Speaker of the Northeast Assembly shall never be allowed to temporarily conduct the duties of the Governor if acting in the temporary absence of the Lieutenant Governor pursuant to Article IV, Section xiii) of this Constitution.

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor, or the Speaker if Lieutenant Governor is not avaviable or office is vacant, to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor (or speaker as mentioned before) shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by smilliar declaration.

I'm not so sure about your proposal.  There's an inherent separation of powers issue and huge potential conflict of interest with allowing an elected member of the Assembly (legislature) to assume the powers of the Governor to veto bills.  Some states seem to do it (like New Jersey, where the Senate Majority Leader can become Acting Governor, but that's probably because NJ, until this cycle, didn't have a Lt. Governor.)

I understand, but you yourself inluded a proposal of Speaker in the chain of command.

Actually, my point is to include a clear procedure what to do if Governor is absent. I hope you'll accept this part.

(and in NJ it's Senate President, FTR Wink)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #131 on: February 04, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »

So ok, but regarding Lt. Governor and Governor, we should have a procedure to deal with absention issue.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #132 on: February 04, 2010, 10:29:22 PM »

Mr. Speaker, what about this:

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: February 04, 2010, 10:55:03 PM »

Mr. Speaker, what about this:

The Governor may declare his absence, thereby allowing the Lieutenant Governor to temporarily conduct the duties of the office, under a title of the Acting Governor of Northeast.

If the Governor is inactive for a period longer than six days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office.

How do we determine whether a Governor is inactive?  His activity isn't as regular as a member of the Assembly - especially if we don't pass any legislation for over a week.  Failure to post anything in Atlasia?  On the Atlast Forum?  In his office thread?

Ok, I see the problem.

I hope you have no problem that Governor can declare absence himself and by transferring temporary his powers to Lt. Governor?

As of undeclared inactivity, let say not performing any duty like signing the bill, after being notified. In other cases, 20 days absence from forum would result in transferring powers to Lt.

How about that?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2010, 04:06:36 PM »

I hope it's acceatable:

If the Governor is not performing the duties, like signing or vetoing the bill after being notified, for a period longer than seven days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office. If Governor is inactive in Atlasia for 21 days, even if had not to perform any duties at the time, Lieuteant Governor shall automatically assume powers and duties as well.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by declaration.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: February 05, 2010, 04:13:57 PM »

I hope it's acceatable:

If the Governor is not performing the duties, like signing or vetoing the bill after being notified, for a period longer than seven days, Lieutenant Governor shall automatically assume temporarily conduct the duties of the office. If Governor is inactive in Atlasia for 21 days, even if had not to perform any duties at the time, Lieuteant Governor shall automatically assume powers and duties as well.

The Governor shall resume the powers and duties of the office by declaration.

The grammar, spelling and style needs to be fixed a bit, but it's otherwise acceptable as friendly to me if no one else raises an objection.  I'll work on tightening up the language.

Thanks you, Mr. Speaker Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #136 on: February 05, 2010, 07:45:35 PM »

Support.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #137 on: February 06, 2010, 12:54:03 PM »

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2010, 02:32:52 PM »

Mr. Speaker, fellow Representatives.

I understand that the proposal of the order of precedence act have no other significance than purely symbolic, but since many countries and subnational divisions all around the world, as well as Atlasian Federal Government, are using this, I can see no reason why we shouldn't adopt this as well, as a symbol of our institutions.

Also, I have nothing against shortening the period of debate.

As of ay grammar/language amendments, I'm open for.

Thank you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: February 08, 2010, 07:52:41 AM »

Mr. Speaker

I would like to point that the act have nothing to do with a chain of command. Just like United States order of precedence have nothing to do with the presidential line of succession. For example, Chief Justice is excluded from the line but appears highly in order of precedence, higher than Senate president pro tempore who's third in line.

This is for ceremonial purpouses only and is not an constitutional issue at all.

I hope I put that clear.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2010, 02:43:39 PM »

Mr. Speaker

I would like to point that the act have nothing to do with a chain of command. Just like United States order of precedence have nothing to do with the presidential line of succession. For example, Chief Justice is excluded from the line but appears highly in order of precedence, higher than Senate president pro tempore who's third in line.

This is for ceremonial purpouses only and is not an constitutional issue at all.

I hope I put that clear.

Noted - though I don't think there's much of a difference.

Is my amendment to the bill friendly?

Yes, Mr. Speaker.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2010, 03:13:36 PM »

Aye

(and please... it's clear it's irrevelant to the chain of command)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #142 on: February 09, 2010, 04:00:12 PM »

I would like to propose we shorten the debate time to as short as possible for this legislation.

Seconded.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #143 on: February 09, 2010, 07:27:24 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2010, 03:30:54 AM by Gustaf »

The bill is stupid both in content and in form. Having a gym membership card proves nothing, and what does that have to do with taking an "aiprot flight"?

And its sponsor is from California, not a foreign country.

The sponsor is Norteast citizen.

Edited for personal attack. The rest of the post is, of course, completely off-target but I will leave it up to the author to realize that.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2010, 10:42:29 AM »

The bill is useless meaningless garbage holding up the queue and preventing real legislation from being discussed.

Introduced bills should receive equal consideration, duh.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »

I like the idea of encouraging to attend gym. Bill shall be perfectly fine with these clarification amdendments.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2010, 11:42:13 AM »

Hey, Mr. Moderate, where have you been?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2010, 08:47:37 PM »

Aye
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #148 on: February 12, 2010, 10:32:49 AM »

CJO office is politicized anyway, but I share Cinic concerns, so I'd probably abstain.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #149 on: February 13, 2010, 02:19:40 PM »

On The People's Court Amendment: Present and abstaining

On expediting debate on the Northeast Senate Amendment: Aye   
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies