United Kingdom: Elect a head of state or Retain a Monarchy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:28:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United Kingdom: Elect a head of state or Retain a Monarchy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Should the UK elect a President as the head of state and become a Republic, or keep the Monarch as the head of state?
Elect a President

Keep The Royal Family

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: United Kingdom: Elect a head of state or Retain a Monarchy  (Read 10024 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2009, 06:21:54 PM »

Couln't we have some sort of compromise? Move towards a more democratic Presidential system, but keep the Royal Family for tradition? loads of details to be worked out.

Why? What good does a group of people who are paid by the public to do nothing serve?

We can privatize them... somehow. No, they don't really do anything, but they should keep them as cultural advisers. Britain just isn't Britain without some sort of constitutional monarchy.

Btw, Lord Protector is a kind of cool title.

Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »

Couln't we have some sort of compromise? Move towards a more democratic Presidential system, but keep the Royal Family for tradition? loads of details to be worked out.

Why? What good does a group of people who are paid by the public to do nothing serve?

We can privatize them... somehow. No, they don't really do anything, but they should keep them as cultural advisers. Britain just isn't Britain without some sort of constitutional monarchy.

They do a fair bit. They're "ambassadors" for the UK, especially Prince Andrew.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2009, 06:22:18 PM »

Lord Protector of the Realm, indeed.
J.G.H.
Zeus
Rookie

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2009, 07:55:46 PM »

Technically, Elizabeth is the last of the Saxe-Coburg-Gotha's that will rule the UK; since the name of the house passes from the male line, beginning with Charles' reign it will be the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, which is what Prince Phillip is.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2009, 05:57:22 AM »

This is my 10th year as a member of the Liberal Democrats but you won't see me asking for a Presidency!

The cost of a Monarchy is - clearly - massive and seemingly unforgivable in this time of economic storms and collapses. BUT if we look at the issue more generally, the two options are either another political appointment  or  a non-political head of state.

Look around at just how much *politics* is around in our small island. Too many MPs, too many councillors, Euro MPs, the endless attempts by the SNP to keep themselves in the national news not just in the Scottish headlines; for a small island we've got a lot of elected types, not all of them doing much of a good job.

I would hate having ANOTHER layer of politics. An elected head of state would turn off many more millions off democracy at the worst possible time.

I look at how much Americans are defined by their support or oppositon for the President of the time, and pray it does not come here.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2009, 12:01:28 PM »

Keep the monarchy in my opinion.

Those who want a President ought to say who they'd actually want to be said President.
Elizabeth II Smiley
She certainly wouldn't be the first member of her house to have succeeded in electoral politics.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2009, 01:51:30 PM »

Keep the monarchy in my opinion.

Those who want a President ought to say who they'd actually want to be said President.
Elizabeth II Smiley
She certainly wouldn't be the first member of her house to have succeeded in electoral politics.

NMEII?
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2009, 03:50:37 PM »

Oh, you wanna have a president??

-wish I understand, damn giving so much money and even some power of representation to some people just because they are born here and period, damn, yes, monarchy is really out of time-

So, pay really attention to the institutions you will choose...

(advice from a French...)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2009, 06:44:47 PM »

This is my 10th year as a member of the Liberal Democrats but you won't see me asking for a Presidency!

The cost of a Monarchy is - clearly - massive and seemingly unforgivable in this time of economic storms and collapses. BUT if we look at the issue more generally, the two options are either another political appointment  or  a non-political head of state.

Look around at just how much *politics* is around in our small island. Too many MPs, too many councillors, Euro MPs, the endless attempts by the SNP to keep themselves in the national news not just in the Scottish headlines; for a small island we've got a lot of elected types, not all of them doing much of a good job.

I would hate having ANOTHER layer of politics. An elected head of state would turn off many more millions off democracy at the worst possible time.

I look at how much Americans are defined by their support or oppositon for the President of the time, and pray it does not come here.

If there was a British Presidency, it would be far more similar to the German model (where the President is always the most popular politician in the nation) than the American model.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2009, 06:48:10 PM »

This "small island" has a population of over 60 million and is certainly over centralised.
ChrisJG777
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -8.00

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2009, 02:09:35 PM »

Let's hear it for the "Federal Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" I say. Some of my preferences as to how a British Republic would work generally involves retaining the parliamentary system currently used, but replacing the Lords with an elected Senate chamber, using Single-Transferable-Vote to elect the Commons and the President would be directly elected and have executive powers (and is not just a ceremonial figurehead like the Queen is, either).  Oh, and there'd a be written constitution as well, just to round things off.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2009, 04:11:11 PM »

Let's hear it for the "Federal Republic of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" I say. Some of my preferences as to how a British Republic would work generally involves retaining the parliamentary system currently used, but replacing the Lords with an elected Senate chamber, using Single-Transferable-Vote to elect the Commons and the President would be directly elected and have executive powers (and is not just a ceremonial figurehead like the Queen is, either).  Oh, and there'd a be written constitution as well, just to round things off.

Well said mein freund.
doktorb
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 07:09:36 AM »

Mmmm, Girls Aloud....

Sorry, distracted.....
KuntaKinte
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -0.52

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 02:28:30 PM »

Of course I always support a republic over a monarchy.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 03:21:38 PM »

Mmmm, Girls Aloud....

Sorry, distracted.....

I understand Smiley
Scam of God
Einzige
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -9.91

« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2009, 01:24:25 AM »

Why would you need a singular Head of State at all? Simply devolve all the powers of the Head of State to the directly-elected Parliament and cut out the middle-man.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2009, 03:51:11 AM »

I'll stand up for Her Majesty here.  I'm somewhat supportive of Commonwealth countries becoming Republics, but not Britain herself.

I think that those of you who are so quick to throw the monarchy under the bus need to look at the horror that is overtaking American politics in regards to our Presidency.  The deep polarization that started in the Nixon era and continues to this day is getting worse by the minute.  The rabid vultures on the far-left and far-right demand accountability from their party-mates to their prejudices, fears, and vile hatreds.   

Having a non-elected non-political head of state that represents the nation itself would seem like a refreshing change compared to the radical polarization of American political discourse.

(For the record, this doesn't mean that I am not advocating that America have a monarch Smiley)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2009, 11:40:51 AM »

I'll stand up for Her Majesty here.  I'm somewhat supportive of Commonwealth countries becoming Republics, but not Britain herself.

I think that those of you who are so quick to throw the monarchy under the bus need to look at the horror that is overtaking American politics in regards to our Presidency.  The deep polarization that started in the Nixon era and continues to this day is getting worse by the minute.  The rabid vultures on the far-left and far-right demand accountability from their party-mates to their prejudices, fears, and vile hatreds.  

Having a non-elected non-political head of state that represents the nation itself would seem like a refreshing change compared to the radical polarization of American political discourse.

(For the record, this doesn't mean that I am not advocating that America have a monarch Smiley)

Again, German model.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2009, 01:44:16 PM »

Again, German model.

Among what already exists and what I know that may be my favorite.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2009, 03:09:35 PM »

So, in other words, monarchy is okay as long as it isn't in your country.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2009, 03:14:29 AM »

How about a vote between the leading royals?

I'd vote for Harry. He's hot.
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2009, 03:33:01 PM »

Would Claudia Schiffer or Heidi Klum be interested?

*Gets coat*
afleitch
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2009, 03:37:14 PM »

Would Claudia Schiffer or Heidi Klum be interested?

*Gets coat*

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies