Will there be any black sitting US senators or governors in Feb. 2011?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 11:31:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Will there be any black sitting US senators or governors in Feb. 2011?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Will there be any black sitting US senators or governors in Feb. 2011?
yes

no

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 27

Author Topic: Will there be any black sitting US senators or governors in Feb. 2011?  (Read 6810 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:22:37 PM »

?
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 08:27:42 PM »

Does it matter?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »

Most of what we discuss here doesn't "matter".  I just think it would be mildly ironic if there was a black president, yet zero black senators and zero black governors.
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 10:56:05 PM »

Artur Davis is about a 40% shot to win, and I figure Paterson, Patrick and Meek together have a more than 10% shot of one of them being in office then, so the odds are in favor.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:52:37 PM »

I think Artur Davis wins if he goes up against Roy Moore.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2009, 08:27:24 AM »

I think Patrick is favored for reelection in a three-way race and it's too early to say about a two-way race.
nkpatel1279
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2009, 08:29:02 AM »

We may have 1 or 2 Black Governors. Davis-AL or Patrick-MA-
Paterson-NY is a goner.
Regarding the US Senate- 0.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2009, 01:33:15 PM »

Are there any blacks running as Republicans? Remember 2006 when the Republicans were running a ton of blacks?
JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 01:40:44 PM »

Are there any blacks running as Republicans? Remember 2006 when the Republicans were running a ton of blacks?

There's Ryan Frazier in Colorado and Michael Williams in Texas, and neither seem particularly likely to get out of the primary at this time.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »

Most of what we discuss here doesn't "matter".  I just think it would be mildly ironic if there was a black president, yet zero black senators and zero black governors.

It doesn't matter if you simply look at everyone here as American.  I don't pay attention to who is white or black or male or female.  I vote on the issues and the person who does the right thing gets my vote.  If that's 20 white men or 20 black women, then so be it.  Race and gender are irrelevant.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:57:11 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2009, 07:58:43 PM by Lunar »

I think Artur Davis wins if he goes up against Roy Moore.

I agree.  I also think Williams in Texas is the next most likely candidate, overtaking Frazier and Meeks

Cheryl Jackson is not going to win in Illinois, there's no way Mark Kirk would not beat her, no matter what Emily's List says.  Of course that attorney guy in North Carolina is not going to beat Elaine Marshall in the Democratic Primary either.

actually, I think Paterson's and Patrick's odds of reelection in NY and MA are probably higher than any of these people.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 07:59:33 PM »

It doesn't matter if you simply look at everyone here as American. 

lol
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 12:21:08 PM »

Moore would destroy Davis. Let's be frank, people- it's Alabama.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2009, 12:29:01 PM »

It doesn't matter if you simply look at everyone here as American.  I don't pay attention to who is white or black or male or female.  I vote on the issues and the person who does the right thing gets my vote.  If that's 20 white men or 20 black women, then so be it.  Race and gender are irrelevant.

Um... good for you?
GOPFlyer10
Rookie
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 01:17:57 PM »

God i hope not.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 01:42:45 PM »

I think a lot of people are thinking no by just thinking solely Democratic, I'd say that Michael Williams and Ryan Frazier have at least a 50/50 of one of them being in there
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 02:02:42 PM »

From incumbents?

Burris is fortunatelly retiring anyway

Paterson would probably be forced to not seek election in his own

Patrick wil prevail in MA

Newbies?

Frazier have true chances, but seat is still Dem lean. We shall see. But he's not any underdog, to be sure.

Michael Williams? Appiointment seems probably and, due to Texas political leanings, possible reelection too

Why?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »

I forgot about Davis. Yes, I know for many "Black Governor of Alabama" may sound illogical, but I think he have a good shot
GOPFlyer10
Rookie
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 02:06:47 PM »

Burris & Patrick are jokes. I Sadly think you're right about Patrick though.

Paterson would be the one i would want to stay the most, but saying that i think more highly of him than the other two isn't saying a lot. New York can do a lot better.

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 02:50:12 PM »

Paterson would be the one i would want to stay the most, but saying that i think more highly of him than the other two isn't saying a lot. New York can do a lot better.

Um OK. You're expressing opinions about 3 particular politicians, of which I agree with you regarding 2 1/2 (only so-so on Patrick). Your earlier posts decried any blacks being governor or senator after next year, including presumably Republicans like Frazier in CO and Williams--a bona fide right wing conservative--in Texas.

I encourage you to think before posting. Your earlier comment would've justifiably led anyone, liberal or conservative, to deduce you were an unabashed racist opposed to black of any ideology being elected to statewide office.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 04:00:31 PM »

Frazier has very slim chances of winning the primary. Here's how I'd rank the likelihood of these people being elected in 2010:

1. Deval Patrick
2. Artur Davis
3. Michael Williams
4. Kendrick Meek
5. Ryan Frazier
6. Cheryl Robinson
7. David Paterson

With a list like that, there very well could be none though. It's not that unusual though. Obama was the only black senator during his time and there have only been four black governors in the history of the country, two of which weren't elected. 

We just need more people like Corinne Brown and Sheila Jackson Lee running for higher office.
GOPFlyer10
Rookie
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 05:24:07 PM »

Um OK. You're expressing opinions about 3 particular politicians, of which I agree with you regarding 2 1/2 (only so-so on Patrick). Your earlier posts decried any blacks being governor or senator after next year, including presumably Republicans like Frazier in CO and Williams--a bona fide right wing conservative--in Texas.

I encourage you to think before posting. Your earlier comment would've justifiably led anyone, liberal or conservative, to deduce you were an unabashed racist opposed to black of any ideology being elected to statewide office.

Yupp! I'm a big dirty racist. YeeHaw
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 09:07:16 AM »

Yupp! I'm a big dirty racist. YeeHaw
I thought it quite clear from my post that I am not accusing you of that, having read your explanation of your earlier post. That said, do you really argue that a blanket "God I hope not" to the question of whether any blacks will being sitting governors or senators after next year would be construed quite reasonably as racist. I'm not talking reading between the lines overly sensitive PC policing here; simply straight forward english.

I understand your post was only focused on the 3 black incumbents who I agree range from "flawed" (Patrick), to "quite ineffective" (Patterson), to "downright laughingstock" (Burris). Post however you want, I'm just saying your original post was not at all well thought out.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2009, 08:52:33 AM »

We just need more people like Corinne Brown and Sheila Jackson Lee running for higher office.

LOL.  No we don't.  They're both bat sh**t crazy.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2009, 03:38:13 PM »

LOL.  No we don't.  They're both bat sh**t crazy.

I suspect that was the joke.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies