Will there ever be a Independent/Third Party President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:43:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will there ever be a Independent/Third Party President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will there ever be a president from a third party? And which third party has the best chances?
No way, the White House will always be in the hands of either the Republicans or the Democrats.
Yes, probably an Independent.
Yes, probably a Libertarian.
Yes, probably a Green.
Yes, probably a candidate from the Constitution Party.
Yes, but probably someone from another party or a party which isnīt in existence yet.
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Will there ever be a Independent/Third Party President?  (Read 15496 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2004, 04:56:04 AM »

Iīm talking here about the future, not the past. So, the Whigs donīt count. Cheesy
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 08:47:25 AM »

It's possible - the best way would be to get a candidate who has enough money to fund himself and is charismatic enough to attract votes and smart enough to defeat his opponents in the debates. I think a Libertarian could do it with that much wealth. A Green probably couldn't because he'd get no votes from the right, and a Constitutionist couldn't because he'd get no votes from the left, but a Libertarian would be able to take votes from both sides.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 10:22:53 AM »

#6.

Dark horse party: Progressive Party of Vermont (they have the right approach: start small, build up your base)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 11:41:45 AM »

The Libertarians should try to get 1% more of the vote every year
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 01:31:03 PM »

Hopefully not. I think just flat out banning third parties is a good idea now. Actually I don't, but I'd like to see it happen just to piss that worthless piece of human garbage Ralph Nader off so much.
Bugs

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 03:28:15 PM »

We have almost always had a two party political system, although the same two parties haven't always been present.  The last time the main two parties didn't finish first and second was 1912, and before that you'd have to go back to 1860, assuming Douglas was the legitimate Democrat, which is a matter of opinion.  Either way you look at 1860, the two party system has certainly been the dominant one, and the likelihood of a third party president seems remote indeed, though not impossible.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2004, 03:28:56 AM »

if there is, they'll be an extremely rich independent.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 08:49:13 AM »

We have almost always had a two party political system, although the same two parties haven't always been present.  The last time the main two parties didn't finish first and second was 1912, and before that you'd have to go back to 1860, assuming Douglas was the legitimate Democrat, which is a matter of opinion.  Either way you look at 1860, the two party system has certainly been the dominant one, and the likelihood of a third party president seems remote indeed, though not impossible.
Exactly.
If there ever is a third party president, his party won't be a third party anymore.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 08:55:51 PM »

I think if Dr. Phil ran with Jesse Ventura on the Libertarian Ticket in 2008 than we would have a 3rd Party president. Smiley

Just a dream ticket of mine.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 10:15:52 PM »

Perot could have made it in 1992, so why not?

Infinite monkeys, of course.
Dr. Cynic
Lawrence Watson
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 10:45:31 PM »

If someone with deep pockets like Perot, but not as much of a loose cannon as he was ran, then I would say yes.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2004, 11:43:00 PM »

Alaskan INdependence Party.

In the future the dems take control of the majority of state delegations in the House.  The AIP runs a candidate who wins the states 3 EVs.  THe other 2 candidates both fall short of the required 270 EVs.

Knowing that the Dems will take the WH the AIP tells the Republicans they will take on the Rep platform in all regards except the few key points of the AIP.  They will also appoint an all R cabinet.  In exchange they want the big office.

Left with no choice but back the AIP or give up the White House the Republicans tell their electors to vote AIP. 

2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2004, 03:02:06 AM »

Definitely a Reform Party guy. They have two governors, and Ross was close.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2004, 07:18:01 PM »

The Reform Party has pretty much collapsed.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2004, 05:00:07 PM »

In order for a third party to have a shot, something such as the following would need happen: The Republicans nominate a liberal (Guiliani and Pitaki rumors are already floating around) or the Democrats nominate a conservative (no names floating around yet unless Zell Miller decides to try to stick it to the Democrats in 2008, but I doubt it). By alienating their base, liberals and conservatives would turn to the Green, Constitution, and Libertarian Parties. They would also need big names. Ron Paul would be the LP's first choice. The CP would love Pat Buchanan or Roy Moore. Not sure who would go for the GP. 

Jesse Ventura is considering a run in 2008, probably as an indepedent. Much of his philosophy seems Libertarian. Though I doubt it would happen, how well would a Jesse Ventura / Ron Paul ticket perform? Again, just speculation, I don't expect that to happen.
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2004, 05:05:10 PM »

Who can say? For all we know the 2056 election will be won by Quangus DeFangio, the candidate of the Neo-Neo-Conservative Disantiestablishmentarianism Party.
CollectiveInterest

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2004, 08:17:41 PM »

Ventura in 2008 seems possible.
YRABNNRM
YoungRepub
Atlas Icon
United States
Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: -6.09

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2004, 04:40:28 PM »

What is Colin Powell ran as an Independent in '08?
Bogart
bogart414
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.13, S: -5.39

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2004, 07:07:59 PM »

I would say that the only way it could happen is if one of the current parties falls into decline.  It would not be a true third party because a new party would replace one of the two we now have.
badnarikin04

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2004, 05:32:27 PM »

I think that there will be a Libertarian president during my lifetime.

I consider the election of Bush to be the start of "Operation Republicrat Dictatorship". By the time i'm in my fifties, this mission will become known by mainstream voters and the Republican and Democrat parties will die, only to be replaced by Libertarians, Greens, and another new party. Libertarians will be the first to be elected and will give prison sentences to the main operatives.

That's at least how I see it going down.
Ats
Rookie

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2004, 07:57:01 PM »

The Reform Party has pretty much collapsed.

Yes I eblieve they told the FEC they had to shut down because they only had $19 and could no longer resume normal party operations.
tkwrinklefiber
Rookie

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2004, 02:52:38 AM »

It will always be one of the two parties, unless there is a huge shift in the system that allows for the parties to factionalize and separate.  Abolishment of "first-past-the-post" electoral practices, basically, would be necessary.
zachman

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2004, 05:35:50 PM »

Sooner or later there will be a Hollywood star who starts his/her own party to unify the nation against government graft. This could work.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2004, 04:58:20 PM »

I think that there will be a Libertarian president during my lifetime.

I consider the election of Bush to be the start of "Operation Republicrat Dictatorship". By the time i'm in my fifties, this mission will become known by mainstream voters and the Republican and Democrat parties will die, only to be replaced by Libertarians, Greens, and another new party. Libertarians will be the first to be elected and will give prison sentences to the main operatives.

That's at least how I see it going down.

And what is this "Operation Republicrat Dictatorship"? How will, in your mind, the two major parties die? This is one of the reasons I decided not to vote Libertarian. All you do is come up with crazy conspiracy theories about how the US is a police state and that the Republicans and Democrats are the same part trying to turn America into a dictatorship. 
Erc
Junior Chimp
Slovenia

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2004, 12:05:03 AM »

The Reform / Independence / Americans for Perot's final breath was in 2002, when Golisano got his 19% in New York and the Reform Party lost the last of their governorships.

Personally, I could see the Libertarian party theoretically winning an election if they get a really good and really rich candidate who starts off with the youth vote and builds from there.  But I don't think that can realistically happen, and I think another Perot-like bid has the best shot of taking the White House.  Maybe within my lifetime.  Maybe.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies