Brave New World (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 07:10:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate
  Book Reviews and Discussion (Moderator: Torie)
  Brave New World (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Brave New World  (Read 20265 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: August 07, 2011, 09:24:14 PM »

Though it was written several decades before hand, Brave New World is a disturbingly concise exploration of what the world today might look like if the hippies of the sixties had gotten their way.  I cringe to think of retiring to a haze of soma, never to see my biological children who would have grown up in vats.  Thank the Lord for Nixon Reagan.

My thoughts exactly (though I am too young for children or retiring). It's the ultimate culture of secular hedonism.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:06:01 PM »

Though it was written several decades before hand, Brave New World is a disturbingly concise exploration of what the world today might look like if the hippies of the sixties had gotten their way.  I cringe to think of retiring to a haze of soma, never to see my biological children who would have grown up in vats.  Thank the Lord for Nixon Reagan.

My thoughts exactly (though I am too young for children or retiring). It's the ultimate culture of secular hedonism.
Despite Watergate, I have always and will always have deep respect for President Nixon.  My eldest son was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam.  He died in 1969, near the end of his tour.  But Nixon pulled our boys out of that hellish quagmire Johnson created; he saved thousands of lives for which I will always be thankful.

Reagan was just President at a good time.  He was a good speech maker which allowed him to capitalize on the fall of the Soviet Union, something that has certainly given him a positive legacy.  Not to say that he was a bad President, but Reagan could never match the genius of Nixon.

Regards,
John Doe

The reason why I replaced Nixon with Reagan (which started the Cold War discussion) had nothing to do with foreign policy whatsoever. In that regard, Nixon was a far superior president and placed into a terrible situation that he handled with more skill than any president since him. I would not even attempt to dispute your statement, not only because I agree, but also because you would know far more about the subject that I would. I chose Reagan for starting the new revolution of American social conservatism, despite being himself an unlikely man to do so.

But I also don’t think the Brave New World Society was much of a communist dysutopia because no one there is oppressed and no one revolts. For a more communist styled dysutopia, read 1984. One of the key elements of the shallow, hedonistic life in the Brave New World is that virtually everyone consents to live that life. They consent to the idea that sex is exclusively for pleasure and should be practiced often and among different partners. They consent to the idea that the aging of the human body is purely a sign of weakness rather than strength and the death is preferable to it. They consent to the idea that recreational drug use of “soma” can render all problems unimportant by dulling the experience of failure and pain and covering them up like reality does not exist. They consent to the idea that religion is obsolete not by force but by indifference. It is the deepest case of removing every ounce of meaning from life I can find.

All in all, I see it as an exhibit of the worst elements of modern American social liberalism taken to the extreme. Now I realize there are pieces of the Brave New World that don’t completely fit that theme, mainly the castes, but all in all, I think it is a great dysutopia for the future of the US to try and avoid.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 12:46:03 PM »

I think the discussions about the 'morality' in BNW are quite interesting as a lot of people tend to put their own values on it.

Huxley was an atheist, in fact his grandfather invented the term agnostic... personally, what I took from the book was that you don't need 'religion' to know what is right and wrong - Huxley was making moral judgments on the world that was being presented, conditioning humans to act only on primal needs and to divide them into castes is generally a bad thing... but for no other reason than it just was...

It was more of a condemnation of consumerism than anything else... people are designed to consume, in a way that is pre-determined, and then turned into a consumable.

Oh, I know Huxley was an atheist. But it still fits impressively well for something that isn't written to fit. Of course the entire need of castes was wiped out by the advent of mechanization as pointed out by True Federalist. Still it is a good depiction of life squeezed of all value, religion nonwithstanding. It is odd how he made the alien to the Brave New World's society so religious. It's interesting to read his interactions with the 'civilized' people because they are completely mystified by his concepts of 'morality'.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies