Un-votes (from the Atlas section)

(1/4) > >>

Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon:
There are some posts about negative votes occuring in an election - and even thought it was a mistake, I kinda like the idea.

I've been kicking around the idea of a un-vote system.

A) Each person gets one vote - they can use it as either a positve vote for a candidate or a negative vote against a candidate.  So they could vote and + 1 for candidate A or vote -1 towards candidate B.

B) Each person gets a positive and a negative vote - they could positively vote for A and negatively vote for B, +1 for A and -1 for B (or only use one of those options)

Such a system, though crazy :), might force candidates to not go negative against one another so that the other sides voters would be less likely to cast a negative vote against them.  The end result could be candidates who have more broad support.

Nation:
Heh, in a state like Wyoming or North Dakota, a candidate could get enough un-votes to be in the negatives for a total.

Kghadial:
What if both candidates got a negative total? what would you propose when that happens? I'd say neither wins

Problem (or bonus?) with the negative vote system is that it would let a lot of third parties have a solid chance.  If the two major candidates assail each other all the live long day. Then a third party candidate might not attract any negative votes and BAM we got governor Nader of Wisconsin. Something like this might happen (assuming say ... 10000 votes to keep it simple).

If you can vote either negative against a candidate, or positive for, but not both ....

Candidate A:    2500 positive votes and 2490 negative votes

Candidate B:  2450 positive votes and 2300 negative votes

Nader:   240 positive votes and 20 negative votes

Gustaf:
I like it, but I think there should be as many votes as candidates, and you can aither vote in favour or against or abstain.

Emsworth:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

So we don't allow voters to cast a positive and a negative vote for the same candidate- thereby permitting an abstention?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page