Senate Closure Act (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 12:00:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Closure Act (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Closure Act  (Read 2271 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 12, 2004, 02:29:15 PM »
« edited: October 12, 2004, 02:34:30 PM by AG Ernest »

Editorial changes made to give Act the style of language common to the Atlasian Statutes and clarify what has been proposed.  (If what I write doesn't fit what you thought you had said, then I apologize, but I did try to maintain what I thought you had said.)  I replaced the word tabled with proposed as tabled has in American English a considerably different connontation from that of  British/Australian English in the legislative context.  I am not  quite certain if this needs to be an Act or if a Resolution would do.

Senate Closure Act

1. During the week before each regular Senatorial election, no new Resolutions or Acts will be introduced into the Senate, and no votes will take place on any current Resolutions or Acts.

2. The Senate may be recalled during said week by the President.

3. Discussion on Acts proposed before said week may continue.

4. The effective date of this Act shall be the first Friday of December 2004.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 07:41:08 PM »

This vote was passed a long time ago and the 7 days for signature has passed. It is automatically law.

Neither the PPT nor the VP closed the vote, nor was the bill presented to the President. The Vote was still therefore technically open when the new Senate was sworn in and therefore lapsed when the new Senate took office.

Please stop bumping up all the old threads, as this will be pretty much the same response to all of them.

I never closed any vote when I was PPT because I was told it was not a requirement and it automatically closed when it was passed.

If you remember King, I made such a fuss about bills being presented to the President when I was AG such as with the Family Planning Amendments Act of 2004 which you finally presented to the President on October 16, some four weeks after voting on the bill opened and which had it been presented to the President in a timely manner would have become law some three weeks earlier.

As for when a vote closed, I deemed that to be purely a matter of Senate procedure and left that entirely to the Senate to argue over, but the presentation to the President part is clearly spelled out in the Constitution, and this Act was never presented to the President.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies