Biden aides say he may run for prez in 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 01:04:49 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Biden aides say he may run for prez in 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Biden aides say he may run for prez in 2016  (Read 6857 times)
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -1.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2009, 02:58:37 PM »

You mean a vice president of a popular (possibly in Obama's case) president might run for president after said presidents presidency.  No way, that hasn't happened anytime recently except Al Gore, George H.W. Bush, and Richard Nixon.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2009, 04:25:31 PM »

It's almost impossible to get the Presidential bug out of your system when you are as close to the top spot as Biden is.  It is probably wise for him to leave the door open, just in case.  However, his candidacy is unlikely.  If he runs in 2016, age will be a major issue, as it was for McCain.  And he would need to work on his job approval ratings.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/121850/Biden-Favorability-Trails-Obama-Recent-VPs.aspx

Gallup notes:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2009, 06:09:06 PM »

You mean a vice president of a popular (possibly in Obama's case) president might run for president after said presidents presidency.  No way, that hasn't happened anytime recently except Al Gore, George H.W. Bush, and Richard Nixon.

Right, I'm just mentioning it because so many other people here seem to dismiss Biden's chances of running, because of his age.
zclark1994
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -1.04

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 06:13:03 PM »

Right, I'm just mentioning it because so many other people here seem to dismiss Biden's chances of running, because of his age.

Yeah, I know,

I agree with you as well.  I don't really understand why everybody seems to think that because of his age he wouldn't have a chance to win.  Ronald Reagan won the most electoral votes in history and he was our oldest president.

Biden would easily win if Obama was successful, all he would have to do is just say that he'll keep on doing what Obama did.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 06:41:02 PM »

A Biden presidential campaign would be roughly on par with a Palin presidential campaign.

I think and hope that Obama will replace Biden on his 2012 ticket.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 07:25:34 PM »

Right, I'm just mentioning it because so many other people here seem to dismiss Biden's chances of running, because of his age

And of those 3 VPs, the one in his 40s against the same generation almost won the popular vote, the one in his 50s against the same generation won the popular and almost the electoral, the one in his 60s against a guy 10 years younger won big.

Still, one of the advantages a VP has, in a primary anyway, is recognition and trust to be in charge.  I think Hillary has those as much as Biden, is 5 years younger and being female may be an advantage by then.

I'm with you on that as well.  I think Clinton would be more likely to win the nomination in 2016 than Biden.  Clinton has a wider base of support than Biden, and there will still be a large "it's time for a woman" contingent among Democratic primary voters then.

In fact, I think it's all but inevitable that, come 2013, people are going to be talking up Clinton as the frontrunner for the 2016 nomination.  (This happens regardless of whether Obama is reelected.)  She'll be nearly as much of a frontrunner as she was in 2005 for the 2008 nomination.....even if she publicly claims not to be interested.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2009, 07:55:48 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2009, 08:03:19 PM by Ogre Mage »

Yes, perhaps the biggest blockade against a Biden candidacy in 2016 is Hillary Clinton.  Clinton won 20 states in the Democratic Primary and built an impressive national constituency.  Her political machine is now dormant, but not dismantled.  It could be reactivated someday.  And among some feminist Democrats there is a feeling of unfinished business.

Biden does have some advantages.  As VP, he can raise money, campaign for other Democrats and collect political chits.  Hillary cannot due to her position as Secretary of State.  But Bill can fill in for Hillary on the political circuit as she attends to the business of governance, which undercuts that advantage.  Biden also has closer proximity to President Obama, which is an advantage Hillary cannot replicate. 

Still, one cannot overlook the fact that Hillary has proven herself as a vote getter (18 million in the Democratic Primary).  Does anyone remember how many votes Biden got in the 2008 Primary?
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2009, 11:21:25 PM »
« Edited: September 07, 2009, 11:23:30 PM by Ogre Mage »

You're right about her large base but Biden's low vote total from 2008 isn't a good guide since he has a much higher profile as Vice President.  For instance, it's possible black voters would be behind Biden in 2016 as Obama's closest ally.

Biden's current job approvals and profile as Vice President suggest that a national base for him has not (yet) materialized.  No base materialized in 2008 either.  Perhaps he can find a way to address this, but frankly I am skeptical.  Clinton has a large national constituency which is semi-independent from President Obama's.  That's a big advantage that Biden lacks.

It IS an interesting question, what would Obama do if both Biden and Clinton jumped into the 2016 Dem primary?  Probably stay neutral is my guess, although one never knows what is going on behind the scenes. 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2009, 04:39:21 AM »
« Edited: September 08, 2009, 04:42:32 AM by Mr. Morden »

Biden does have some advantages.  As VP, he can raise money, campaign for other Democrats and collect political chits.  Hillary cannot due to her position as Secretary of State.  But Bill can fill in for Hillary on the political circuit as she attends to the business of governance, which undercuts that advantage.  Biden also has closer proximity to President Obama, which is an advantage Hillary cannot replicate. 

If Clinton is running for president in 2016, she resigns as SoS by January 2015 at the latest.  When it gets to the point at which one has to start raising $, she will already have left office.

But unlike for the 2008 election, her age will be an issue of course.  Whether Biden being a prospect would heighten that issue for Hillary (two older front runners) or distract it from her is unclear.  I assume the polls will begin in November 2012 actually and that Hillary will lead early ones by a comfortable margin with Biden generally second.  The only other people to register might be speakers who did well at the 2012 convention (like Obama used in 2004 to launch himself to stardom).  Schweitzer's a good bet here.  Also, maybe surrogates who gave strong performances in the months up to the election.

If you're talking about 2016 polls taken in 2013, no one else will register besides Biden and Clinton.  Having a good speech at the convention and being a campaign surrogate doesn't make you nationally famous.  (Obama, for example, was *not* that well known nationally until early 2007.  The 2004 convention speech only made him famous among political junkies.)  I don't see how any new faces on the Democratic side become famous in the next four years, aside from Cabinet secretaries.  So I see the earliest 2016 Democratic primary polls being dominated by Biden and Clinton, with everyone else being in low-mid single digits, like Haley Barbour and Tim Pawlenty are now re: 2012.

EDIT: The only possible exception would be if some kind of crisis catapults some other politician to national fame, a la Rudy Giuliani on Sept. 11, 2001.

It IS an interesting question, what would Obama do if both Biden and Clinton jumped into the 2016 Dem primary?  Probably stay neutral is my guess, although one never knows what is going on behind the scenes. 

If Obama wins reelection in 2012, he will certainly remain neutral in the 2016 Democratic primary, regardless of who runs....just like Reagan in 1988, Clinton in 2000, and Bush in 2008.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 05:26:59 AM »

He might. Then again, he might not. It'll depend on his popularity in 2014. And his health. He's certainly not genuinely not interested in the position. (Of course, this is assuming Obama is reelected.)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 08:17:20 AM »

LAWL.  Good luck, Joe.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies