The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:27:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50559 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:49 PM »

National Debt numbers please.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 09:38:36 PM »

How about we just PM him requests so as to keep this thread more about discussion of the articles. Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »

I hope that as time goes on, not only will Atlasia's events be significantly different from the US', but that other countries' behavior may be significantly different due to Atlasian policy.

By the way, do we have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 10:54:39 PM »

I'm pretty certain that we inherited all laws.

I'm not seeing where this happened (just went through every law on the Wiki). Could you link me?

Nothing written either way, but given that we repealed a lot of old laws, it's a logical assumption.

I'd rather that sort of thing actually be done by the Senate. Especially we haven't taken any action relating to the wars, nor does the FTA with Iraq seem to take it into account.

Since we can't be sure either way at this point, it's probably up to you as GM to decide.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 05:22:53 PM »

Well, it looks like if the RPP receives a majority in the Senate the stock market will crash again. Sad
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:37:25 PM »

This office also urges the federal government to direct an additional $50 billion to $100 billion to the Midwest over the next year to alleviate the region’s budgetary woes.

The Midwest has no budgetary woes. Angry What's the opposite of woes? It has seow.

I'm going in order of budget size so the Midwest will be the last one listed.

I thought the Dirty South's would be because of their population.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:09:44 PM »

I'm really happy with your job so far. But, please give NCYank his statistics, he's pretty pissed right now.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 12:15:52 AM »

If you could prepare the Midwest education data in the next few weeks, but refrain from posting it until I'm officially Governor-elect, I would really appreciate it.

Here are the figures I would like to request:

- % graduation from high school
- % high school graduates who enter college
- % of college students who graduate with at least a two year degree.
- avg. teacher salary
- the power and influence of the teachers' union
- avg. dollars per student
- any regional disparities
- any class, ethnic, racial, or gender disparities
- the influence of the standardized test ban enacted in the Midwest last year
- brief comparisons to the other regions
- overweight and obesity rates among children and adolescents
- levels of teen violence
- % of teens without fathers, racial disparities would be nice
- levels of teen pregnancy
- state of charter schools in the state and school choice.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »

Where does the Midwest income come from? We have no tax code to my knowledge.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »

If you could prepare the Midwest education data in the next few weeks, but refrain from posting it until I'm officially Governor-elect, I would really appreciate it.

Here are the figures I would like to request:

- % graduation from high school
- % high school graduates who enter college
- % of college students who graduate with at least a two year degree.
- avg. teacher salary
- the power and influence of the teachers' union
- avg. dollars per student
- any regional disparities
- any class, ethnic, racial, or gender disparities
- the influence of the standardized test ban enacted in the Midwest last year
- brief comparisons to the other regions
- overweight and obesity rates among children and adolescents
- levels of teen violence
- % of teens without fathers, racial disparities would be nice
- levels of teen pregnancy
- state of charter schools in the state and school choice.

For each region would be nice, really

I hope the Southeast's numbers are accurate and fairly represented though. (By the I mean worse than every other region. Tongue)

I'll get to it. It can usually be assumed that when one region requests data I will do my best to get it for all of the other regions as well. This may take some more time than the other requests though.

As I requested it and actually plan on addressing it, I hope you can come out with the Midwest numbers first.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

A basic summary of the regional economies would be nice, if you're not already working on that.

GDP
GDP per capita
Percentage of the workforce in each industry
Percentage of the regional economy of each industry
Unemployment
Job loss/gain rate
Economic growth/decay numbers
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »

Regional News

Employment Information by Region
The following lists the top three industries in each region in order:
Northeast = Service; Trade and Transportation; Government
Mideast =Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Government
Southeast = Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Agriculture
Midwest = Manufacturing; Agriculture; Health
Pacific = Government; Trade and Transportation; Education

The following lists the unemployment rate in each region:
Northeast = 7.5%
Mideast = 18%
Southeast = 13%
Midwest = 14%
Pacific = 7%

The following is the breakdown of unionization figures in Atlasia by region:
Northeast = 16%
Mideast = 19%
Southeast = 11%
Midwest = 17%
Pacific = 21%

Are you sure you're not confusing the Midwest with the Mideast?  The Midwest should have the lowest unemployment rate in the country, and probably the second-lowest unionization rate:

Considering our region has been dead for the past year, our unemployment is no surprise.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

I'm, uh, a little bit surprised how much people think policies affect unemployment rates... really, no matter how much and what kind of activity exists in the Midwest, it's not like somehow magically that would turn the Midwest into a manufacturing powerhouse or make the Mideast have a balanced economy or something :S

True, though having an unregulated horde of heavily armed ursine running around probably isn't good for economic activity Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »

Financial News[/size]

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     977  -25.00 (2.495%)

Analysis:
For the first time in the history of the ANSE, The Atlasian stock index fell below 1,000.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 04:54:00 PM »

Could you periodically, say, once a week, update us on the economic status of the individual regions.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2009, 05:16:53 PM »

Could you periodically, say, once a week, update us on the economic status of the individual regions.

I will try to describe the directions of the regions once a week or so, more likely through analysis or stories than specific data, which probably won't come more often than once a month, simply because the regions don't act on enough to effect enough change to make a substantive difference that quickly

I know, but it would also be interesting to see how federal  policy affects certain regions.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 09:19:53 PM »

I just want to say that you're doing such an amazing job so far PS. Please, keep it up, I love all the economic data, and can never get enough.

Agreed.

Hopefully your tenure will set a standard that all future GMs will reach for so that when your time as GM has ended, we can continue this awesome flow of information.

BTW, how long do you think you'll remain in this post at the moment?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 09:32:27 PM »

Grin Positive results from the End to Standardization Act.

I still think it sucks. Angry
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 11:25:26 AM »

Hey PS, you may want to proof read the most recent update.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2009, 05:17:51 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     945.50  -5.00 (0.53%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.98492 U.S. (-0.00302)
  • Crude Oil = $89.46/barrel +3.09 (3.58%)

Analysis:
The ANSE continued to decline slightly as the Senate appears to lack focus and direction. Without an elected PPT for the first week of Senate activity, in addition to the grinding legislative procedure, economists worry major economic legislation will not come soon enough. These losses, however, are being tempered by the expected release of the first stimulus funds to the regions. No region has yet outlined a method to apportion those funds.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as Oil spiked.

Oil prices neared $90 per barrel as major news from South America seemed to indicate an inevitable clash between close Atlasian ally Colombia and major oil producer Venezuela. Without any word from President Lief or the Senate, many worry that a war between the two nations could disrupt the production of oil.

Really!?! The regions apportion some of the stimulus money. Did not know that.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »

Purple State, do we have anti-trust laws? I know we carried over some US laws, but I'd like to know some specifics of the laws for future reference. I'll probably introduce some in the Midwest either way though.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report
With a new and active Governor in the Midwest region, a number of actions have been taken that will have large impacts on the region’s internal administration.

First, in response to the release of a report on education in the Midwest region, Governor Vepres has ordered that all public-run colleges and universities reduce tuition and other costs of attendance, even at the expense of university revenue.

The Office of the GM projects that this memorandum will lead to a gradual slowing of the rate of increases in tuition costs; however, tuition will continue to rise and the impact will fall short of the governor’s goal to make college “a place open to all people.” In addition, the revenue reductions could actually hurt the viability and competitiveness of the Midwestern universities.

Instead, the GM recommends that the Midwest institute a scholarship program aimed at benefiting students in SEDZs, as determined by the Atlasian Senate in the Establishment of Social and Economic Development Zones Act.

In addition, the Office of the GM applauds the governor’s proactive attempts to stimulate and encourage students in the region to strive to work hard and do better in school. The GM believes that actions like this, especially in underserved neighborhoods, will do much to create a more equitable education environment in the long-run.

Governor Vepres has also recently issued a memorandum on the violation of wage laws, a rampant phenomenon throughout the nation. It is the opinion of the Office of the GM that more effective and clear wage laws are necessary in the Midwest in order to aid law enforcement officials in determining what is and is not an offense. Such a law may be modeled after the federal legislation moving through the Senate or may be specific to Midwestern “tastes.”

An executive order was also issued on enforcement of immigration laws in the Midwest region. The governor made clear that illegal immigration laws would not be proactively upheld and that funding would be reprioritized to violent crimes. In addition, Vepres has ordered that punishment for the employment of undocumented workers will be focused on the employer, rather than the employee. This has caused a fair bit of outcry from Midwestern businesses, but many human rights groups have applauded the governor for his tough stance on abuse of illegal immigrants.

This office projects that the order will result in an influx of cheap undocumented labor into the Midwestern economy, while businesses seek to mask or remove similar types of employment. This could result in a quick surge in unemployment in the region and the GM believes the region should take proactive steps to alleviate this possible issue. Solutions could include reducing enforcement of employment-related illegal immigration laws, creating citizenship-incentive or guest visa programs or other related actions. Each solution has its own pros and cons which should be discussed further in debate within the region.

Thank you! Grin

As for immigration, I don't believe Atlasia currently has amnesty nor a guest worker program, but it is my understanding that that is a national responsibility, one where the regions have little influence. I will take some more action though.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report
With a new and active Governor in the Midwest region, a number of actions have been taken that will have large impacts on the region’s internal administration.

First, in response to the release of a report on education in the Midwest region, Governor Vepres has ordered that all public-run colleges and universities reduce tuition and other costs of attendance, even at the expense of university revenue.

The Office of the GM projects that this memorandum will lead to a gradual slowing of the rate of increases in tuition costs; however, tuition will continue to rise and the impact will fall short of the governor’s goal to make college “a place open to all people.” In addition, the revenue reductions could actually hurt the viability and competitiveness of the Midwestern universities.

Instead, the GM recommends that the Midwest institute a scholarship program aimed at benefiting students in SEDZs, as determined by the Atlasian Senate in the Establishment of Social and Economic Development Zones Act.

In addition, the Office of the GM applauds the governor’s proactive attempts to stimulate and encourage students in the region to strive to work hard and do better in school. The GM believes that actions like this, especially in underserved neighborhoods, will do much to create a more equitable education environment in the long-run.

Governor Vepres has also recently issued a memorandum on the violation of wage laws, a rampant phenomenon throughout the nation. It is the opinion of the Office of the GM that more effective and clear wage laws are necessary in the Midwest in order to aid law enforcement officials in determining what is and is not an offense. Such a law may be modeled after the federal legislation moving through the Senate or may be specific to Midwestern “tastes.”

An executive order was also issued on enforcement of immigration laws in the Midwest region. The governor made clear that illegal immigration laws would not be proactively upheld and that funding would be reprioritized to violent crimes. In addition, Vepres has ordered that punishment for the employment of undocumented workers will be focused on the employer, rather than the employee. This has caused a fair bit of outcry from Midwestern businesses, but many human rights groups have applauded the governor for his tough stance on abuse of illegal immigrants.

This office projects that the order will result in an influx of cheap undocumented labor into the Midwestern economy, while businesses seek to mask or remove similar types of employment. This could result in a quick surge in unemployment in the region and the GM believes the region should take proactive steps to alleviate this possible issue. Solutions could include reducing enforcement of employment-related illegal immigration laws, creating citizenship-incentive or guest visa programs or other related actions. Each solution has its own pros and cons which should be discussed further in debate within the region.

Thank you! Grin

As for immigration, I don't believe Atlasia currently has amnesty nor a guest worker program, but it is my understanding that that is a national responsibility, one where the regions have little influence. I will take some more action though.

I would urge the Governor think strongly before agreeing to what PS proposes here. Doing so what he wants would lead to severe wage Depression, and that would be just as bad as increased Unemployement. I also think the Governor has made a mistake in "shifting the focus" of Immigration laws. The affects will be felt the most by those at the lowest of the pay scale who are being hit hardest by the recession already. Guest worker or other type programs tend to have the same effects as illegals coming into an area. When it comes to Wage Depression there is no distinction between legal and illegal what matters is line of work and education level.

Lastly I beleive a recent Senate passed an Amnesty if I am not mistaking.

The only law I could find was this. It doesn't give amnesty, but it doesn't call for deportation unless they commit a crime.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »

The markets are now closed until Tuesday in observance of Yom Kippur...

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     902  -7 (0.77%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.95103 U.S. (-0.00076)
  • Crude Oil = $101.92/barrel +3.84 (3.92%)

Analysis:
The ANSE returning to its decline as investors were increasingly skeptical that the Senate could produce and act on meaningful legislation to rescue failing banks before a major collapse of the system. 

The Atlasian Dollar fell as commodity price, led by Oil, soared.

Oil prices rocketed as violence broke out between Venezuela and Colombia. It is unclear what the impact of this will be on Atlasian-Venezuelan relations and on Venezuela's oil production and exports.

The federal government seems to be ignoring this. Does the GM believe anything can be done at the regional level to help Midwestern banks?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

The markets are now closed until Tuesday in observance of Yom Kippur...

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     902  -7 (0.77%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.95103 U.S. (-0.00076)
  • Crude Oil = $101.92/barrel +3.84 (3.92%)

Analysis:
The ANSE returning to its decline as investors were increasingly skeptical that the Senate could produce and act on meaningful legislation to rescue failing banks before a major collapse of the system. 

The Atlasian Dollar fell as commodity price, led by Oil, soared.

Oil prices rocketed as violence broke out between Venezuela and Colombia. It is unclear what the impact of this will be on Atlasian-Venezuelan relations and on Venezuela's oil production and exports.

The federal government seems to be ignoring this. Does the GM believe anything can be done at the regional level to help Midwestern banks?

Well NCY has anointed himself the resident expert on credit and banks, plus, I'm not exactly sure what can be done.

Honestly, I think alot of this banking crisis stuff is ridiculously overblown and doesn't take into account the differences between Atlasia and the United States.

And I doubt it, by the way, given the comparatively low economic muster your region has.

True.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies