The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:46:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50280 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: December 22, 2009, 11:36:06 PM »

The Office of the GM will be closed until December 28th or 29th. I may get on tomorrow one last time, but it isn't likely.

Wishing you all a happy and safe holiday.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #351 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:38 PM »

Whenever you return, could you elaborate on the problems with Midwest law enforcement?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #352 on: December 27, 2009, 10:48:02 PM »

Whenever you return, could you elaborate on the problems with Midwest law enforcement?

Sure thing. I'll try to do something this week if I can.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #353 on: January 04, 2010, 11:19:30 PM »

I am trying something new. I'll be putting headlines in the title of the ADH thread. Let me know if you find it a worthwhile addition.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #354 on: January 12, 2010, 08:25:33 AM »

I plan on introducing legislation to review Atlasia's committment to foreign aid, and I hope to stimulate some discussion of foreign issues in the Senate.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #355 on: January 12, 2010, 09:26:13 AM »

Markets are back...

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     896 -8 (0.89%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.87240 U.S. (-0.01264)
  • Crude Oil = $89.62/barrel +1.53 (1.74%)

Analysis:
The ANSE fell as Atlasian clout over global affairs has come under increasing doubt with seeming isolationist policies in recent months.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as global trade imbalances persist and many question the future dominance of the Atlasian dollar as a global currency. The President and Senate should begin to focus on correcting trade and currency imbalances soon.

Oil prices rose sharply with commodities after China’s exports surged in December and imports rose amid signs of accelerating global economic recovery.

You can't legislate away a trade deficit. You can create policies that encourage Economic growth such as investments in Technology and infrastructure(already done), depress the value of the dollar by spending way beyond our means(already accomplished), or you can just restart the deflationary downward spiral. I am sure 25% Unemployement will end the Trade deficit rather quickly, don't you? Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #356 on: January 12, 2010, 04:32:38 PM »

Markets are back...

Financial News

Financial Indicators

Analysis:
The ANSE fell as Atlasian clout over global affairs has come under increasing doubt with seeming isolationist policies in recent months.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as global trade imbalances persist and many question the future dominance of the Atlasian dollar as a global currency. The President and Senate should begin to focus on correcting trade and currency imbalances soon.

Oil prices rose sharply with commodities after China’s exports surged in December and imports rose amid signs of accelerating global economic recovery.

You can't legislate away a trade deficit. You can create policies that encourage Economic growth such as investments in Technology and infrastructure(already done), depress the value of the dollar by spending way beyond our means(already accomplished), or you can just restart the deflationary downward spiral. I am sure 25% Unemployement will end the Trade deficit rather quickly, don't you? Tongue

It isn't necessarily "legislation" that is needed, although I can think of a few things the Senate can do to begin to address currency imbalances. Also, the President has a bully pulpit that can help the issue as well.

For evidence of how well this can work, see here.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #357 on: January 12, 2010, 06:18:06 PM »

Markets are back...

Financial News

Financial Indicators

Analysis:

It isn't necessarily "legislation" that is needed, although I can think of a few things the Senate can do to begin to address currency imbalances. Also, the President has a bully pulpit that can help the issue as well.

For evidence of how well this can work, see here.

Yea. But the problem is the US/Atlasia is not Japan and the dollar isn't the Yen. We have to be fearful in Atlasia because if you poke the currency to much it will blow up. The Dollar is the reserve currency and losing that status could cause the dollar to crash. We want a slow decline, not a one night crash. All I am saying is messing with this is dangerous.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #358 on: January 12, 2010, 06:27:44 PM »

Economic News

Independent Panel Finds Bank Compensation Practices At Fault For Recession
An independent panel has found risky compensation practices at financial institutions to be one of the main causes of the global recession.

The non-partisan panel issued a report outlining the ways in which many large financial corporations promoted short-term profits through compensation packages, without sufficient regard for the risk of long-term losses in the run-up to the crisis. It also stresses the need for government-led reform to ensure that such practices are discontinued or diminished.

One method to shift the focus of compensation practices include compensating employees with awards of deferred stock - shares that they cannot sell immediately. Companies can also include "clawback" provisions requiring employees to repay bonuses if short-term gains curdle into long-term losses. Finally, it is recommended that pay decisions made by independent members of a company's board of directors.

The Office of the GM recommends that the Senate take action to promote such changes in businesses. Some paths to achieve this include government oversight, FDIC action or other means to be assessed at official request.

Lol. This "commission" needs to have it's member's heads examined. This fails to take into account the fact that if it weren't for the Housing Boom 1996-2006 the banks wouldn't have had the risky derivitives to trade. Or the fact that there are macro-economic problems in the US economy that have existed since 2001 that made such a speculatory bubble necessary. To say it is a root cause is a misinterpretation. The speculation in risky derivitives and the accompanying asset bubble was created primarily do to the lack of substantial growth in the real economy so speculation looked like the most promising return on investment unlike in the 90's when the best place to be was in Dow or Nasdaq trading shares of productive companies, not financial schemes. So that was the "root" cause right there.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #359 on: January 12, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »
« Edited: January 12, 2010, 09:06:19 PM by GM Purple State »

Economic News

Independent Panel Finds Bank Compensation Practices At Fault For Recession
An independent panel has found risky compensation practices at financial institutions to be one of the main causes of the global recession.

The non-partisan panel issued a report outlining the ways in which many large financial corporations promoted short-term profits through compensation packages, without sufficient regard for the risk of long-term losses in the run-up to the crisis. It also stresses the need for government-led reform to ensure that such practices are discontinued or diminished.

One method to shift the focus of compensation practices include compensating employees with awards of deferred stock - shares that they cannot sell immediately. Companies can also include "clawback" provisions requiring employees to repay bonuses if short-term gains curdle into long-term losses. Finally, it is recommended that pay decisions made by independent members of a company's board of directors.

The Office of the GM recommends that the Senate take action to promote such changes in businesses. Some paths to achieve this include government oversight, FDIC action or other means to be assessed at official request.

Lol. This "commission" needs to have it's member's heads examined. This fails to take into account the fact that if it weren't for the Housing Boom 1996-2006 the banks wouldn't have had the risky derivitives to trade. Or the fact that there are macro-economic problems in the US economy that have existed since 2001 that made such a speculatory bubble necessary. To say it is a root cause is a misinterpretation. The speculation in risky derivitives and the accompanying asset bubble was created primarily do to the lack of substantial growth in the real economy so speculation looked like the most promising return on investment unlike in the 90's when the best place to be was in Dow or Nasdaq trading shares of productive companies, not financial schemes. So that was the "root" cause right there.

They found it to be "one of the main causes," not the only cause. The title of the ADH page was slightly misleading in order to fit the character limit for titles. I was simply trying to call attention to one issue that has not yet been addressed. People don't seem to act around here unless someone says that the problem is big.

EDIT: In a more explicit prompt for the Senate, here is the article I based this piece on: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/01/12/AR2010011201492.html
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2010, 08:20:18 PM »

I plan on introducing legislation to review Atlasia's committment to foreign aid, and I hope to stimulate some discussion of foreign issues in the Senate.

If you need any aid in regard to this just let me know.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #361 on: January 19, 2010, 02:45:58 AM »

What's the unemployment rate/when do we get on an update on it, Mr. GM?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #362 on: January 19, 2010, 02:58:52 AM »

What's the unemployment rate/when do we get on an update on it, Mr. GM?

I'll do it tomorrow (Tuesday, so today in that case). I am going to redo the economic data schedule to slim it down a bit. Some things were not being used nearly enough for the work required, so I'll make a new, leaner schedule.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #363 on: January 21, 2010, 06:31:35 AM »

Was there some sort of culling of Pacific citizens I missed?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #364 on: January 21, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »

Was there some sort of culling of Pacific citizens I missed?

Apparently. I calculated the numbers the exact same way as the last time, right from the SoFA list (which, admittedly, hasn't been updated for a month). Also consider that the loss of one "actual" citizen equals the loss of potentially millions of "Atlasian" citizens.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #365 on: January 31, 2010, 05:17:27 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

LOL Grin
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #366 on: January 31, 2010, 11:13:16 PM »

Well, you guys seem to care a lot about the issue, so I figured I would give you some numbers to throw around.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #367 on: February 01, 2010, 10:07:09 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2010, 10:22:41 AM by Northeast Representative Antonio V »

Well, you guys seem to care a lot about the issue, so I figured I would give you some numbers to throw around.

Yeah, true. Wink A pity that those numbers seem to favor my opponents... Sad
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #368 on: February 02, 2010, 06:34:31 PM »

Regional News

Biweekly Regional Report
Mideast
Reports indicate that labor laws are being violated at a record pace in the Mideast, many instances going unreported. The region should consider passing comprehensive labor reform legislation in the current session to address the current abuses and clarify the law.

Midwest
As previously reported, the Midwest has seen a recent uptick in the crime rate, especially in violent crimes, as the government seems to have collapsed under its own weight. Reform of the police force is needed, offset by taxes, to ensure future stability. Recommendations to this effect can be found in previous comments by this office from December 30, 2009.

Northeast
Reports indicate that the Northeast has the highest rate of obesity in the country, having nearly doubled in the last two decades from 15% to 27%. Laws promoting healthy living habits, as well as programs to help prevent childhood obesity should be considered for the long-term sustainability of health in the region.

Pacific
As previously reported, the Pacific has seen a rapid influx of illegal immigrants, predominantly from East Asia and Mexico, as security at the border and ports have faltered over the past year. Research of the issue and implementation of new training and security protocols is necessary to maintain the integrity and protection of the region and nation. If the region will not take up the issue, it is recommended that the Senate look to address the matter.

Southeast
The Southeast has moved quickly to address its lower-than-expected revenue with the passage of the Southeast Tax Amnest Act, projected to raise $2 billion over ten years; however, the region still must make efforts to exert proper authority over certain areas in order to prevent the continued abuse of the system. Additional recommendations by this office should be looked into for the upcoming initiative ballot.

What are your recommendations?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #369 on: February 02, 2010, 10:37:49 PM »

If you refer to the Southeast, I posted them previously. The tax amnesty was only one of a number of options recommended.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #370 on: February 03, 2010, 12:16:45 AM »

If you refer to the Southeast, I posted them previously. The tax amnesty was only one of a number of options recommended.

I suggest you repost them then. Otherwise this will never get noticed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #371 on: February 03, 2010, 12:45:32 AM »

I suggest you repost them then. Otherwise this will never get noticed.

Edited it into the post. Link here as well.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #372 on: February 04, 2010, 11:53:33 AM »

Worth noting that the DoIA's work will begin soon.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #373 on: February 13, 2010, 06:13:17 PM »

Could you give an analysis of the law enforcement reform I proposed?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #374 on: February 14, 2010, 03:01:54 AM »

Could you give an analysis of the law enforcement reform I proposed?

I'll try to get it done tomorrow. Considering the season of campaigning we are in, could you post a link here?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies