The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:37:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50297 times)
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: October 10, 2009, 06:02:37 PM »

Ah, I see Jas, still humiliated that he lost to Keystone Phil (really, can you possibly be more of a loser?), that his failed ideology was not only defeated but proven oh so wrong, could not resist an opportunity to get a quick punch in on a political enemy of his.

Hurry, Jas! Run back into the shadows and cower in your hole.

Mmm...okay. I just think if you're going to criticise someone else for apparently not knowing the definitions of words, it'd be nice if you actually knew what it meant yourself.

Your Wiki definition differs from what I learned in class and read myself, but whatever. Even using your definition I disagree that it is an accurate description of myself.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As if you often reply to me in a non-petty or respectful way. Your "contributions" to Atlasia have largely consisted of hit and run attacks on those you disagree with and nothing more.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #251 on: October 10, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2009, 06:22:36 PM by Jas »

Ah, I see Jas, still humiliated that he lost to Keystone Phil (really, can you possibly be more of a loser?), that his failed ideology was not only defeated but proven oh so wrong, could not resist an opportunity to get a quick punch in on a political enemy of his.

Hurry, Jas! Run back into the shadows and cower in your hole.

Mmm...okay. I just think if you're going to criticise someone else for apparently not knowing the definitions of words, it'd be nice if you actually knew what it meant yourself.

Your Wiki definition differs from what I learned in class and read myself, but whatever. Even using your definition I disagree that it is an accurate description of myself.

Well, I think the definition quoted isn't uncommon (e.g. see here and here also).
And I think ilv was applying the definition specifically to your views on the regions, which I think most would agree was appropriate.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

As if you often reply to me in a non-petty or respectful way.

Please feel free to list my oft made petty and disrespectful replies to you.
Certainly I've disagreed with various matters of policy and practice of yours, but I don't recall being out of order in such disagreements. Believe it or not, I don't have any personal problem with you.

Your "contributions" to Atlasia have largely consisted of hit and run attacks on those you disagree with and nothing more.

I don't think that's a fair characterisation, but I'll allow people to make their own minds up on that.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #252 on: October 10, 2009, 06:23:04 PM »

I have no interest in looking through your 7,388 post history to prove my point. You sure take a while to write your seemingly short replies, though. Do you just sit there figuring out the best way to push my buttons? I regrettably probably responded exactly how you wanted me to initially. But I'm done with you. Good bye.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #253 on: October 10, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »

bgwah is quite correct on the definition of reactionary.  He was also right in labeling himself a conservative on the issue of keeping regions. 

A reactionary goes beyond this.  Again, he was correct when he said he would be reactionary if he wanted to reestablish regions once they had been moved.

A reactionary is someone VEHEMENTLY opposed to progress or change, often seeking to revert to a previous state.

Don't get all smug and cute with these dumb political labels.  It's not worth fighting over.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #254 on: October 10, 2009, 06:29:53 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2009, 07:47:36 PM by Jas »

I have no interest in looking through your 7,388 post history to prove my point. You sure take a while to write your seemingly short replies, though. Do you just sit there figuring out the best way to push my buttons? I regrettably probably responded exactly how you wanted me to initially. But I'm done with you. Good bye.

I think if one is to make the sort of accusations you've made, then it's reasonable to ask that you can back them up. If you don't want to read through my posting history, use the search engine to help out. Given the apparently numerous nature of my misbehavings, one would think that a few examples would be easy to come by.

Again, not sure where the rest of the abuse here stems from - but glad to hear it's at an end.
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #255 on: October 10, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »

bgwah is quite correct on the definition of reactionary.  He was also right in labeling himself a conservative on the issue of keeping regions. 

A reactionary goes beyond this.  Again, he was correct when he said he would be reactionary if he wanted to reestablish regions once they had been moved.

A reactionary is someone VEHEMENTLY opposed to progress or change, often seeking to revert to a previous state.

Don't get all smug and cute with these dumb political labels.  It's not worth fighting over.

Exactly. I'd say bringing back districts would be a reactionary position.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #256 on: October 10, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

Whether its most prominent residents, whose political leanings tend to favor abolition of the regions, view this as a positive or negative aspect cannot be determined by this office

I'd say its most prominent residents have a strong pro-regional tendency.  bgwah, for example, is a reactionary on the issue.

Do you even know what "reactionary" means?

Yes.
<-Radical----Liberal----Moderate----Conservative----Reactionary->

I'd say clapping your hands over your ears and going "lalala, regions are just swell in every way!" hearkens back to the days of yore entirely too much, wouldn't you?

Similarly, my impractical support of the complete abolition of regions is extreme enough (in a "change the foundations of society") way that it's clearly radical.

No, reactionary doesn't mean super-conservative. It suggests I want to revert to some previous condition or state. I do not desire to regress to a previous state. I seek to conserve the present state by keeping the regions, making me a conservative on the issue.

If regions were abolished, and I was calling for their return, then I would be a reactionary.

As I recall, you entire arguments earlier this year were that regions were once great and miraculous and could be again if only we (insert your manifesto here).

But you just said I was saying "Regions are just swell in every way!" Trying to save face for misunderstanding a basic political term? I'm a little surprised you didn't know what reactionary means, but I don't think you're dumb because of it or anything. Just an honest mistake. Smiley

Sorry for not defining every term I use in conversation explicitly, I'll try to do better next time Smiley
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2009, 01:29:59 PM »

Whether its most prominent residents, whose political leanings tend to favor abolition of the regions, view this as a positive or negative aspect cannot be determined by this office

I'd say its most prominent residents have a strong pro-regional tendency.  bgwah, for example, is a reactionary on the issue.

Do you even know what "reactionary" means?

Yes.
<-Radical----Liberal----Moderate----Conservative----Reactionary->

I'd say clapping your hands over your ears and going "lalala, regions are just swell in every way!" hearkens back to the days of yore entirely too much, wouldn't you?

Similarly, my impractical support of the complete abolition of regions is extreme enough (in a "change the foundations of society") way that it's clearly radical.

You just don't want to admit regions are making a big comeback as far as activity is concerned Tongue

And as far as impact is concerned, they're just as irrelevant.

Would depend on how you define impact of course. I would say that increasing activity on the Elections board and providing means for new members to orient themselves in the game and stay active is impact enough to make the regions valuable. To each their own.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #258 on: October 16, 2009, 07:58:06 AM »

• $1 Atlasian = $0.93064 U.S. (-0.00719)

The Atlasian trade deficit was reported to have shrunk by $10 billion since mid-August as the weakening dollar and economic recovery of a few key nations has led to increasing exports.

I hope people realize that this is a good thing.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #259 on: October 16, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »

Let's see if this will work this time... I won't be available until tomorrow night. Please don't do anything newsworthy or noteworthy until then (besides start elections).

I will try to post something on the national election when voting closes, so look out for it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #260 on: October 16, 2009, 05:29:12 PM »

Let's see if this will work this time... I won't be available until tomorrow night. Please don't do anything newsworthy or noteworthy until then (besides start elections).

I will try to post something on the national election when voting closes, so look out for it.

Yay PS is gone, lets get the Tommy guns out, boys. Tongue

The Atlasian trade deficit was reported to have shrunk by $10 billion since mid-August as the weakening dollar and economic recovery of a few key nations has led to increasing exports.

I tried to convince Vepres of that last night in the Fiscal Relief debate.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #261 on: October 21, 2009, 03:40:59 AM »

Foreign News

Added Forces Fail To Deter Pirates
Despite recent Senate measures to combat piracy off the coast of Somalia, a steady flow of international ships have been hijacked in the Gulf of Aden.

Despite the best efforts of Somalia’s Transitional Federal President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, violence and unrest in the largely lawless state have plagued the government and prevented meaningful gains against the pirate groups. The situation has only been exacerbated as well-armed militias continue to fight in the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital.

Most tellingly, a group of pirates hijacked a Chinese vessel Sunday over 700 miles away from shore. This example is only one of a number of recent cases of piracy over 500 miles from a coast, perhaps indicating that Somali pirates are becoming more sophisticated, as well as broadening their reach.

It is not yet clear how policy makers will seek to remedy the situation. Many governments have simply opted to pay the ransoms, rather than commit extensive resources to prevention. Others have proposed allowing the crews of these vessels to arm themselves for defense; however, many question whether this could lead to the unnecessary death of crews and an increased militancy among pirates.

I would advise the SoEA to consult with EU partners. The EU has a sizable effort underway to counter piracy actions in the area. Consideration might be given as to what support Atlasia can provide that would aid 'Operation Atalanta'.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #262 on: October 21, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »

Foreign News

Added Forces Fail To Deter Pirates
Despite recent Senate measures to combat piracy off the coast of Somalia, a steady flow of international ships have been hijacked in the Gulf of Aden.

Despite the best efforts of Somalia’s Transitional Federal President Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, violence and unrest in the largely lawless state have plagued the government and prevented meaningful gains against the pirate groups. The situation has only been exacerbated as well-armed militias continue to fight in the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia’s capital.

Most tellingly, a group of pirates hijacked a Chinese vessel Sunday over 700 miles away from shore. This example is only one of a number of recent cases of piracy over 500 miles from a coast, perhaps indicating that Somali pirates are becoming more sophisticated, as well as broadening their reach.

It is not yet clear how policy makers will seek to remedy the situation. Many governments have simply opted to pay the ransoms, rather than commit extensive resources to prevention. Others have proposed allowing the crews of these vessels to arm themselves for defense; however, many question whether this could lead to the unnecessary death of crews and an increased militancy among pirates.

I would advise the SoEA to consult with EU partners. The EU has a sizable effort underway to counter piracy actions in the area. Consideration might be given as to what support Atlasia can provide that would aid 'Operation Atalanta'.

I will first have to discuss it with the president but I think that is an excellent idea.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2009, 10:35:11 AM »

Certainly the trade deficit decreasing is good, but a weak dollar hurts homeowners and seniors, and it also causes inflation. This is fine for now, but it shouldn't go on for too long.

Ideally we could have a strengthening dollar with a decreasing trade deficit, but a situation where that would occur would be difficult to engineer.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #264 on: October 21, 2009, 12:53:16 PM »

Certainly the trade deficit decreasing is good, but a weak dollar hurts homeowners and seniors, and it also causes inflation. This is fine for now, but it shouldn't go on for too long.

Ideally we could have a strengthening dollar with a decreasing trade deficit, but a situation where that would occur would be difficult to engineer.

Read: impossible Wink
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #265 on: November 02, 2009, 04:05:13 PM »

Watch it, Purple State, before I start completely disregarding your updates.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #266 on: November 02, 2009, 04:17:48 PM »

Watch it, Purple State, before I start completely disregarding your updates.

I forgot I was limited to news you deem acceptable. Am I suddenly to disregard credible threats?

And it should be noted that I pushed this off to ensure it would not affect elections. Try to actually enjoy the game every so often Marokai. The game in general, and the position of GM in particular, is not supposed to be some dry and boring stream of news. I would say I am more conservative in my updates than past GMs.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #267 on: November 02, 2009, 04:31:30 PM »

I'm not going to play along with random pretend terrorist attacks in New Mexico or whatever it is you've concocted. I am here to play the game, but not these ridiculous SPC-esque scenarios.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #268 on: November 02, 2009, 04:41:46 PM »

I'm not going to play along with random pretend terrorist attacks in New Mexico or whatever it is you've concocted. I am here to play the game, but not these ridiculous SPC-esque scenarios.

I refuse to simply be a dispenser of economic information and legislative evaluation. Stuff used to actually happen in the game, which is exactly what made it great fun. Honestly, most of the people playing this game don't care whether or not you "play along." They care that something interesting is going on. I serve the people in that regard. Do with it as you may.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #269 on: November 02, 2009, 04:42:59 PM »

Marokai, since when do get to be da final arbitor of what is exceptable from the GM? I do recall it was PS and I that spent the most time trying to improve the position and so far I am praying that PS remains there as long as possible cause I don't know anyone who could do it like he does.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #270 on: November 02, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »

I refuse to simply be a dispenser of economic information and legislative evaluation. Stuff used to actually happen in the game, which is exactly what made it great fun. Honestly, most of the people playing this game don't care whether or not you "play along." They care that something interesting is going on. I serve the people in that regard. Do with it as you may.

And to be honest, most of the people playing this game don't care about completely out of the blue updates like "Oh and by the way bombs have gone off in New Mexico."

This is like SPC playing army-men with his fake security force. There's got to be some constraint on just being able to make everything up.

And lets just jump ahead a little. What, ultimately, will matter from this? The President says a few words, some forces from somewhere are deployed to keep order, and the Senate passes some sort of useless bill to mop up after it? We would be going through the motions, and you know it.

Marokai, since when do get to be da final arbitor of what is exceptable from the GM? I do recall it was PS and I that spent the most time trying to improve the position and so far I am praying that PS remains there as long as possible cause I don't know anyone who could do it like he does.

I wasn't trying to decide the news Roll Eyes I was merely giving my opinion and saying what I would do.

You can now go back to finding some flimsy reason to attack me and hypothesizing about my master plans.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #271 on: November 02, 2009, 05:08:36 PM »

I'd just like to clarify that I don't think Purple State is doing a bad job or that all his news should be ignored, but I just think something like this is completely out-of-left-field, unrealistic, and ultimately totally pointless and something that either no one will care about, or people will just force themselves to care about.

I understand you dont want to just be a dispenser of economic numbers, but you can do more than that and still force legislative ideas. Like "Alcohol accidents on the rise" or "Midwestern farmers undergoing harsh winter" or something like that. I think there's a certain line that we shouldn't pass when making up fake events, and things like "bombs go off in New Mexico" pretty much cross that line for me.

You can maintain activity without pretend wars and imaginary terrorists.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #272 on: November 02, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »

I'd just like to clarify that I don't think Purple State is doing a bad job or that all his news should be ignored, but I just think something like this is completely out-of-left-field, unrealistic, and ultimately totally pointless and something that either no one will care about, or people will just force themselves to care about.

I understand you dont want to just be a dispenser of economic numbers, but you can do more than that and still force legislative ideas. Like "Alcohol accidents on the rise" or "Midwestern farmers undergoing harsh winter" or something like that. I think there's a certain line that we shouldn't pass when making up fake events, and things like "bombs go off in New Mexico" pretty much cross that line for me.

You can maintain activity without pretend wars and imaginary terrorists.

As will be clear soon (and is likely clear to some of the older members), this current news story actually directly flows from happenings of over 2 years ago in the Pacific region. Nor was this simply resurrected at my whim. This was specifically requested of me.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #273 on: November 02, 2009, 05:16:32 PM »

So you're just after my region? Tongue
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #274 on: November 02, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

Just alerting you to the presence of those that are after your region. Think of it as a service I am providing, free of charge (aside from the stipend the GM gets, of course).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies