The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:43:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50266 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2009, 04:37:17 PM »

Tentative Schedule for Recurring Reports:

Topic: Schedule; Next expected release

Federal Revenue/Expenditures: The second Wednesday of every other month; October 14
Regional Budgets: The second week biannually; February 7-12
LIBOR/Prime, Bonds: The last Thursday of every other month; October 29
Employment/Unionization: The first day of every other month, with regional numbers the following day; October 1, 2
Population: The first day of every year; January 1
Retail Sales: The first Tuesday of every other month; November 3
Consumer Spending: The first Monday of every other month; October 5
Consumer Confidence: The fourth Thursday of every other month; November 26
Housing Data: The second Friday of every other month; November 13
Durable Goods/Factory Orders: The last Monday of every other month; November 30

This is great, now you can have the Stock market fluctuate the days leading up to a release based on "market expectations" and then have market react to the final numbers. This is a very fun process.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2009, 10:18:00 PM »

Can I get information about the number of babies aborted each year, and the cost incurred for those procedures?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2009, 10:56:49 PM »

I wonder how the stock market will react to the possible abolition of all regional taxes in one fifth of the country.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2009, 11:14:31 PM »

I wonder how the stock market will react to the possible abolition of all regional taxes in one fifth of the country.

Getting to it right now. Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2009, 06:08:16 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report
With a new and active Governor in the Midwest region, a number of actions have been taken that will have large impacts on the region’s internal administration.

First, in response to the release of a report on education in the Midwest region, Governor Vepres has ordered that all public-run colleges and universities reduce tuition and other costs of attendance, even at the expense of university revenue.

The Office of the GM projects that this memorandum will lead to a gradual slowing of the rate of increases in tuition costs; however, tuition will continue to rise and the impact will fall short of the governor’s goal to make college “a place open to all people.” In addition, the revenue reductions could actually hurt the viability and competitiveness of the Midwestern universities.

Instead, the GM recommends that the Midwest institute a scholarship program aimed at benefiting students in SEDZs, as determined by the Atlasian Senate in the Establishment of Social and Economic Development Zones Act.

In addition, the Office of the GM applauds the governor’s proactive attempts to stimulate and encourage students in the region to strive to work hard and do better in school. The GM believes that actions like this, especially in underserved neighborhoods, will do much to create a more equitable education environment in the long-run.

Governor Vepres has also recently issued a memorandum on the violation of wage laws, a rampant phenomenon throughout the nation. It is the opinion of the Office of the GM that more effective and clear wage laws are necessary in the Midwest in order to aid law enforcement officials in determining what is and is not an offense. Such a law may be modeled after the federal legislation moving through the Senate or may be specific to Midwestern “tastes.”

An executive order was also issued on enforcement of immigration laws in the Midwest region. The governor made clear that illegal immigration laws would not be proactively upheld and that funding would be reprioritized to violent crimes. In addition, Vepres has ordered that punishment for the employment of undocumented workers will be focused on the employer, rather than the employee. This has caused a fair bit of outcry from Midwestern businesses, but many human rights groups have applauded the governor for his tough stance on abuse of illegal immigrants.

This office projects that the order will result in an influx of cheap undocumented labor into the Midwestern economy, while businesses seek to mask or remove similar types of employment. This could result in a quick surge in unemployment in the region and the GM believes the region should take proactive steps to alleviate this possible issue. Solutions could include reducing enforcement of employment-related illegal immigration laws, creating citizenship-incentive or guest visa programs or other related actions. Each solution has its own pros and cons which should be discussed further in debate within the region.

Thank you! Grin

As for immigration, I don't believe Atlasia currently has amnesty nor a guest worker program, but it is my understanding that that is a national responsibility, one where the regions have little influence. I will take some more action though.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #180 on: September 23, 2009, 02:42:05 PM »

The Dirty South just created an assembly and people throw to recall our govenor.  What is the reaction dearest GM?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #181 on: September 23, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »

The Dirty South just created an assembly and people throw to recall our govenor.  What is the reaction dearest GM?

Don't forget about the Northeast! Smiley
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #182 on: September 23, 2009, 08:56:11 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report
With a new and active Governor in the Midwest region, a number of actions have been taken that will have large impacts on the region’s internal administration.

First, in response to the release of a report on education in the Midwest region, Governor Vepres has ordered that all public-run colleges and universities reduce tuition and other costs of attendance, even at the expense of university revenue.

The Office of the GM projects that this memorandum will lead to a gradual slowing of the rate of increases in tuition costs; however, tuition will continue to rise and the impact will fall short of the governor’s goal to make college “a place open to all people.” In addition, the revenue reductions could actually hurt the viability and competitiveness of the Midwestern universities.

Instead, the GM recommends that the Midwest institute a scholarship program aimed at benefiting students in SEDZs, as determined by the Atlasian Senate in the Establishment of Social and Economic Development Zones Act.

In addition, the Office of the GM applauds the governor’s proactive attempts to stimulate and encourage students in the region to strive to work hard and do better in school. The GM believes that actions like this, especially in underserved neighborhoods, will do much to create a more equitable education environment in the long-run.

Governor Vepres has also recently issued a memorandum on the violation of wage laws, a rampant phenomenon throughout the nation. It is the opinion of the Office of the GM that more effective and clear wage laws are necessary in the Midwest in order to aid law enforcement officials in determining what is and is not an offense. Such a law may be modeled after the federal legislation moving through the Senate or may be specific to Midwestern “tastes.”

An executive order was also issued on enforcement of immigration laws in the Midwest region. The governor made clear that illegal immigration laws would not be proactively upheld and that funding would be reprioritized to violent crimes. In addition, Vepres has ordered that punishment for the employment of undocumented workers will be focused on the employer, rather than the employee. This has caused a fair bit of outcry from Midwestern businesses, but many human rights groups have applauded the governor for his tough stance on abuse of illegal immigrants.

This office projects that the order will result in an influx of cheap undocumented labor into the Midwestern economy, while businesses seek to mask or remove similar types of employment. This could result in a quick surge in unemployment in the region and the GM believes the region should take proactive steps to alleviate this possible issue. Solutions could include reducing enforcement of employment-related illegal immigration laws, creating citizenship-incentive or guest visa programs or other related actions. Each solution has its own pros and cons which should be discussed further in debate within the region.

Thank you! Grin

As for immigration, I don't believe Atlasia currently has amnesty nor a guest worker program, but it is my understanding that that is a national responsibility, one where the regions have little influence. I will take some more action though.

I would urge the Governor think strongly before agreeing to what PS proposes here. Doing so what he wants would lead to severe wage Depression, and that would be just as bad as increased Unemployement. I also think the Governor has made a mistake in "shifting the focus" of Immigration laws. The affects will be felt the most by those at the lowest of the pay scale who are being hit hardest by the recession already. Guest worker or other type programs tend to have the same effects as illegals coming into an area. When it comes to Wage Depression there is no distinction between legal and illegal what matters is line of work and education level.

Lastly I beleive a recent Senate passed an Amnesty if I am not mistaking.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #183 on: September 23, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report

Thank you! Grin

I would urge the Governor think strongly before agreeing to what PS proposes here. Doing so what he wants would lead to severe wage Depression, and that would be just as bad as increased Unemployement. I also think the Governor has made a mistake in "shifting the focus" of Immigration laws. The affects will be felt the most by those at the lowest of the pay scale who are being hit hardest by the recession already. Guest worker or other type programs tend to have the same effects as illegals coming into an area. When it comes to Wage Depression there is no distinction between legal and illegal what matters is line of work and education level.

The only law I could find was this. It doesn't give amnesty, but it doesn't call for deportation unless they commit a crime.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #184 on: September 23, 2009, 09:24:07 PM »

Regional News

Midwest Regional Report

Thank you! Grin

The only law I could find was this. It doesn't give amnesty, but it doesn't call for deportation unless they commit a crime.

Well guess what, if that wasn't amnesty, Then many illegals can be tried for violation of the Id Theft Prevention and Resolution Act and held to its standards. Smiley So they are criminals.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #185 on: September 23, 2009, 10:23:01 PM »

Don't forget about the Northeast! Smiley

Working on reports for each region. Rest assured I will get to both.

I would also like to first see if anyone brings a follow-up on my case to revoke devilman88's pardon. I have urged BK to do so as he would be considered to have proper standing.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #186 on: September 23, 2009, 11:45:27 PM »

I know conditions are dire and the economy sucks in Atlasia right now, but even the US' stock market went up sometimes throughout the crisis, even if they were mediocre gains.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #187 on: September 24, 2009, 09:26:36 AM »

I know conditions are dire and the economy sucks in Atlasia right now, but even the US' stock market went up sometimes throughout the crisis, even if they were mediocre gains.
True. The market has performed quite well in fact during the last 6-7 months.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #188 on: September 24, 2009, 01:05:51 PM »

Remember we are about 6 to 8 months behind the US and much deeper because the gov't waited to act.

I don't want to write the Financial package alone. I would prefer to work with someone on it. If anybody is interested please PM me.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #189 on: September 25, 2009, 07:03:34 PM »

The markets are now closed until Tuesday in observance of Yom Kippur...

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     902  -7 (0.77%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.95103 U.S. (-0.00076)
  • Crude Oil = $101.92/barrel +3.84 (3.92%)

Analysis:
The ANSE returning to its decline as investors were increasingly skeptical that the Senate could produce and act on meaningful legislation to rescue failing banks before a major collapse of the system. 

The Atlasian Dollar fell as commodity price, led by Oil, soared.

Oil prices rocketed as violence broke out between Venezuela and Colombia. It is unclear what the impact of this will be on Atlasian-Venezuelan relations and on Venezuela's oil production and exports.

The federal government seems to be ignoring this. Does the GM believe anything can be done at the regional level to help Midwestern banks?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #190 on: September 25, 2009, 07:25:30 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators

Analysis:
The ANSE returning to its decline as investors were increasingly skeptical that the Senate could produce and act on meaningful legislation to rescue failing banks before a major collapse of the system. 

Oil prices rocketed as violence broke out between Venezuela and Colombia. It is unclear what the impact of this will be on Atlasian-Venezuelan relations and on Venezuela's oil production and exports.

The federal government seems to be ignoring this. Does the GM believe anything can be done at the regional level to help Midwestern banks?

Well NCY has anointed himself the resident expert on credit and banks, plus, I'm not exactly sure what can be done.

Honestly, I think alot of this banking crisis stuff is ridiculously overblown and doesn't take into account the differences between Atlasia and the United States.

And I doubt it, by the way, given the comparatively low economic muster your region has.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #191 on: September 25, 2009, 09:21:57 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators

Analysis:

Well NCY has anointed himself the resident expert on credit and banks, plus, I'm not exactly sure what can be done.

Honestly, I think alot of this banking crisis stuff is ridiculously overblown and doesn't take into account the differences between Atlasia and the United States.

And I doubt it, by the way, given the comparatively low economic muster your region has.

True.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #192 on: September 26, 2009, 02:33:45 PM »

"When one man is indespensible, no one is free" 

Unfortunately, as I warned, my knee sprain took me off the forums Friday. Tomorrow I will be busy prefering for a medical procedure on Monday. With no complications, I should be available Monday night, or Tuesday at the lastest.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #193 on: September 26, 2009, 07:46:26 PM »

Well, the markets will not open until Tuesday this week, so you do have some time.

As for the actual state of the banks Marokai, it is difficult for me to take into account differences between Atlasia and the US on certain things. I can't predict how a different tax rate will have affected the banking sector over the last five years. However, given the assumption that we were the US until 2004, it is pretty likely something like this would be relatively similar.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #194 on: September 30, 2009, 05:59:02 PM »

Well, the markets will not open until Tuesday this week, so you do have some time.

As for the actual state of the banks Marokai, it is difficult for me to take into account differences between Atlasia and the US on certain things. I can't predict how a different tax rate will have affected the banking sector over the last five years. However, given the assumption that we were the US until 2004, it is pretty likely something like this would be relatively similar.

The housing boom lasted 10 years. In 2004, 80% of it had already gone by. Most of the toxic loans made by private institutions were put out in the 2001-2004 period. Housing had already decoupled from wage growth in 2001 or 2002. Tax rate would have had no impact on whether or not this occured. This likely would have happened in RL if either AL Gore or John Kerry had won election.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2009, 12:38:56 AM »

Apparently it is irrelevant that Lief just had the Treasury prevent a bank's collapse with $30 billion.

Anyone there?!
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »

Apparently it is irrelevant that Lief just had the Treasury prevent a bank's collapse with $30 billion.

Anyone there?!

The Senate doesn't care about the economy. They care about whether kids can get porno four years earlier.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2009, 12:42:17 AM »

Forgive me but I'm having a hard time taking all this seriously given that it seems wildly unrealistic for Atlasia to be directly compared to America.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2009, 12:51:47 AM »

Forgive me but I'm having a hard time taking all this seriously given that it seems wildly unrealistic for Atlasia to be directly compared to America.

I asked for you to show how we would have avoided the current crisis with Atlasian policy.

Look, Atlasia cannot exactly mirror the US because we don't pass enough, or detailed enough, legislation, nor is all the legislation the same. However, much of the underlying currents are the same and trends are relatively the same. Not to mention, I clearly don't have the knowledge or time to start inventing economic models and doing complex calculations to determine what ambiguous Atlasian legislation, since the beginning of the game, has done to change us from the US. Sometimes it can be done, but when it comes to major economic matters, it's just not possible.

Also, I fail to see how it is fun if matters deviate so far from the US. It would create a world that is far too difficult for new members to become familiar with while also increasing the likelihood that I will make a mistake. If you want detailed and accurate data, I can't stray very far from sources of actual information.

Finally, just because you dislike what the GM says, so long as the data makes reasonable sense it is your job, as a senator, to care. That is the point of the position. If it is just a joke for people to ignore I will gladly resign and let the position return to irrelevance.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2009, 07:53:04 AM »

Anyone there?!

In fairness, PS, that fact was somewhat buried in the story (one sentence in the middle of several paragraphs). After skimming the story yesterday, your post made me go back and reread it to pick that nugget out. I suspect I'm not alone there.

That said, I care PS. :-) I would like to know if the Treasury "funding" provided was merely loan guarantees or an actual infusion of federal cash? Either way, but particularly if the latter, what compensation are the taxpayers getting in return? Is the fed swapping stock for cash, and if so is it preferred stock in case Eagles Bank assets prove insoluble? Further, is the Lief Administration proposing additional regulatory reforms to avoid repeats of this incident? Will the financial community's (or at least J.P. Colin's) support of such reforms be expected in exchange for this federal bailout?

Inquiring minds want to know! Answers should be demanded!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies