The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:43:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50261 times)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2009, 12:17:52 AM »

If you could prepare the Midwest education data in the next few weeks, but refrain from posting it until I'm officially Governor-elect, I would really appreciate it.

Here are the figures I would like to request:

- % graduation from high school
- % high school graduates who enter college
- % of college students who graduate with at least a two year degree.
- avg. teacher salary
- the power and influence of the teachers' union
- avg. dollars per student
- any regional disparities
- any class, ethnic, racial, or gender disparities
- the influence of the standardized test ban enacted in the Midwest last year
- brief comparisons to the other regions
- overweight and obesity rates among children and adolescents
- levels of teen violence
- % of teens without fathers, racial disparities would be nice
- levels of teen pregnancy
- state of charter schools in the state and school choice.

For each region would be nice, really

I hope the Southeast's numbers are accurate and fairly represented though. (By the I mean worse than every other region. Tongue)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2009, 12:31:46 AM »

If you could prepare the Midwest education data in the next few weeks, but refrain from posting it until I'm officially Governor-elect, I would really appreciate it.

- avg. teacher salary

I hope the Southeast's numbers are accurate and fairly represented though. (By the I mean worse than every other region. Tongue)

I'll get to it. It can usually be assumed that when one region requests data I will do my best to get it for all of the other regions as well. This may take some more time than the other requests though.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2009, 03:53:58 PM »

Where does the Midwest income come from? We have no tax code to my knowledge.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2009, 04:14:09 PM »

Where does the Midwest income come from? We have no tax code to my knowledge.

Because of the general lack of regional information in such regards, the numbers given are set as baselines, with future actions affecting those numbers. They are not based on any specific pieces of legislation passed, because there has been little or no such legislation, but is meant to give you an idea of where each region stands.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2009, 05:27:58 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     1,006  +5.50 (0.55%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.99645 U.S. (-0.00154)
  • Crude Oil = $74.04/barrel -0.75 (1.0%)
  • Libor = 4.2075; OIS = 0.96
  • Prime Rate = 4.5
  • 3-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.218
    6-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.722
    2-Year Government Bond Yields = 1.42
    10-Year Government Bond Yields = 3.45

Analysis:
The ANSE rose slightly at the news that the Senate’s composition would remain relatively stable. Investors, hoping that the incoming Senate will continue to address economic matters, were comforted by the stability, as it was the previous Senate that passed major health care reform and the economic stimulus bill.

The Atlasian Dollar continued its falling trend as regional budget numbers have appeared worse than expected.

Oil fell slightly after rising nearly six percent in one week. This is likely a result of the lack of tense news coming from Venezuela.

The split between the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) and the Overnight Index Swap (OIS) rate is 3.2475 and growing. The rising LIBOR indicates that banks believe the other banks they are lending to have a higher risk of defaulting on the loans so they are charging a higher interest rate to offset this risk. It also tells us that the credit markets are not functioning as smoothly as they could be.

Sh**t a 300 point spread that means the banking system is collasping. We need to move on this at once. Like Yesterday. Good job PS! Smiley
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2009, 06:20:37 PM »

- avg. teacher salary

I'll get to it. It can usually be assumed that when one region requests data I will do my best to get it for all of the other regions as well. This may take some more time than the other requests though.

As I requested it and actually plan on addressing it, I hope you can come out with the Midwest numbers first.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     1,006  +5.50 (0.55%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.99645 U.S. (-0.00154)
  • Crude Oil = $74.04/barrel -0.75 (1.0%)
  • Libor = 4.2075; OIS = 0.96
  • Prime Rate = 4.5
  • 3-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.218
    6-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.722
    2-Year Government Bond Yields = 1.42
    10-Year Government Bond Yields = 3.45

Analysis:
The ANSE rose slightly at the news that the Senate’s composition would remain relatively stable. Investors, hoping that the incoming Senate will continue to address economic matters, were comforted by the stability, as it was the previous Senate that passed major health care reform and the economic stimulus bill.

The Atlasian Dollar continued its falling trend as regional budget numbers have appeared worse than expected.

Oil fell slightly after rising nearly six percent in one week. This is likely a result of the lack of tense news coming from Venezuela.

The split between the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) and the Overnight Index Swap (OIS) rate is 3.2475 and growing. The rising LIBOR indicates that banks believe the other banks they are lending to have a higher risk of defaulting on the loans so they are charging a higher interest rate to offset this risk. It also tells us that the credit markets are not functioning as smoothly as they could be.

Sh**t a 300 point spread that means the banking system is collasping. We need to move on this at once. Like Yesterday. Good job PS! Smiley

Figured the best way to do it was check the US's numbers from last October. All good.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »

I'm not researching American railways for this. Wink

The engineers and planners will deal adequately with the placement of tracks, the modernization of current lines, etc. I'm no engineer, I simply report the news.

My railway workers un my as yet unamed Railroad are considering going on strike due to your lack of appreciation for there importance.

I have some more requests
I need Housing market Data
Retail Sales
Durable Goods orders
Factory orders(also say whether this number is due to export changes or changes in domestic consumption)
Consumer Spending
Consumer Confidence

Please try to do some research on these. Tongue

NCY, if you could specify which data specifically in those categories you would like it would greatly expedite the process.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2009, 09:06:00 PM »

I'm not researching American railways for this. Wink

The engineers and planners will deal adequately with the placement of tracks, the modernization of current lines, etc. I'm no engineer, I simply report the news.

My railway workers un my as yet unamed Railroad are considering going on strike due to your lack of appreciation for there importance.

I have some more requests
I need Housing market Data
Retail Sales
Durable Goods orders
Factory orders(also say whether this number is due to export changes or changes in domestic consumption)
Consumer Spending
Consumer Confidence

Please try to do some research on these. Tongue

NCY, if you could specify which data specifically in those categories you would like it would greatly expedite the process.

Housing market data:
Housing Starts-measure Home Constructionconstruction
New and Existing Home Sales-Measures the Housing Market.
A regional and Nation Avg Home price would be helpful
Avg time it takes to sell a home-Another measure of the market. In RL we are at 11 months I think. 

Retail Sales- Just give a summary of how retailers are doing, and percentage change from the previous month's.

Durable Goods- Pretty straight forward single piece of data measuring sales of Goods that last longer the 6 months(Cars, Stoves, Refridgerators, Freezers, Washing machines, and other large appliances. If you want you could just give the percentage increase or decrease over the previous month's sales and keep it simple.

Factory Orders- Similar to the Durable goods orders only it includes non durable good's orders and exports. Percentage increase over previous month will work here as well.

Consumer Spending- Just percentages like the previous two would be fine.

Consumer Confidence- Measures consumer's likeliness to spend in the future. I would suggest finding an index that tracks this and then using that in Atlasia, Rasmussen has one as do a few other organizations. They differ in how they measure and how they display Confidence.

If you want to, you could also create an Index similar to the ISM index of the Manufacturing sector and tie together Durable Goods, Retail Sales, Factory Orders together into something so we aren't left with just individual data, and it would gives us a big picture of how these individual pieces of data come together.

Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2009, 09:32:21 PM »

A basic summary of the regional economies would be nice, if you're not already working on that.

GDP
GDP per capita
Percentage of the workforce in each industry
Percentage of the regional economy of each industry
Unemployment
Job loss/gain rate
Economic growth/decay numbers
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Sorry, all unexpectedly did not have internet after yesterday early morning. I will put a few things up in the next little bit.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2009, 11:59:06 AM »

Could be joking ourselves any harder than to think the GBLT Trade Act would actually work? 
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21:11 PM »

Regional News

Employment Information by Region
The following lists the top three industries in each region in order:
Northeast = Service; Trade and Transportation; Government
Mideast =Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Government
Southeast = Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Agriculture
Midwest = Manufacturing; Agriculture; Health
Pacific = Government; Trade and Transportation; Education

The following lists the unemployment rate in each region:
Northeast = 7.5%
Mideast = 18%
Southeast = 13%
Midwest = 14%
Pacific = 7%

The following is the breakdown of unionization figures in Atlasia by region:
Northeast = 16%
Mideast = 19%
Southeast = 11%
Midwest = 17%
Pacific = 21%

Are you sure you're not confusing the Midwest with the Mideast?  The Midwest should have the lowest unemployment rate in the country, and probably the second-lowest unionization rate:

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »

ilikeverin, I will revisit the numbers a little later. I won't simply be basing numbers on the US though, especially because of the differing attitudes in Atlasia vs. the US.

Could be joking ourselves any harder than to think the GBLT Trade Act would actually work? 

If you can explain to me why a small country like Saint Lucia, that doesn't punish female homosexuality and only fines and/or jails male homosexual activity, would not react to restrictions on trade that lead to economic hardship in their country, I would like to hear it. Otherwise, I have a feeling you give far too much credence to the amount that people care about social issues when they are hurting in the wallet.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »

Regional News

Employment Information by Region
The following lists the top three industries in each region in order:
Northeast = Service; Trade and Transportation; Government
Mideast =Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Government
Southeast = Manufacturing; Trade and Transportation; Agriculture
Midwest = Manufacturing; Agriculture; Health
Pacific = Government; Trade and Transportation; Education

The following lists the unemployment rate in each region:
Northeast = 7.5%
Mideast = 18%
Southeast = 13%
Midwest = 14%
Pacific = 7%

The following is the breakdown of unionization figures in Atlasia by region:
Northeast = 16%
Mideast = 19%
Southeast = 11%
Midwest = 17%
Pacific = 21%

Are you sure you're not confusing the Midwest with the Mideast?  The Midwest should have the lowest unemployment rate in the country, and probably the second-lowest unionization rate:

Considering our region has been dead for the past year, our unemployment is no surprise.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #90 on: August 26, 2009, 04:36:35 PM »

Why would the Mideast unemployment be that high, and further, higher than the South? (Especially considering all their idiotic policies.)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #91 on: August 26, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »

Regional News

Regional Budgets Released
For the first time in Atlasian history the budgets of each region were released to the GM. They will be released in the order of largest to smallest over the course of the next few days:

Mideast: This region has revenue of $600 billion and expenses of $680 billion, resulting in a deficit of $80 billion. The deficit is mostly a result of the current economic crisis, which has hit the region harder than most. While the numbers currently seem reasonable, this office projects that Mideast industries, especially the automotive industry, will continue to falter beyond the end of the current recession. With that in mind, it is highly recommended that the region directly inject all stimulus money into local industries, cut the corporate tax in half and operate in an increased deficit economy for the near future. This office also urges the federal government to direct an additional $50 billion to $100 billion to the Midwest over the next year to alleviate the region’s budgetary woes.

Do these deficit figures take into account federal stimulus money received/expected to receive? If not, what is the amount of federal stimulus money the Mideast can expect to receive to at least partially fill that $80 billion shortfall?

Please place all questions/comments in the News Room thread to keep this board clear.

I believe the reports mention (at least some do) that this is not including the stimulus funds; however, there is some directive as to how to spend the money (local industries, such as automotive, in the case of the Mideast). In addition, the regions may choose how they close their deficits, either through taxation (this is outlined for some) or using stimulus funding.

Why would the Mideast unemployment be that high, and further, higher than the South? (Especially considering all their idiotic policies.)

The Mideast is home to the auto-industry of Atlasia. The massive problems those companies face has resulted in major unemployment. Meanwhile, the Southeast, despite their proposed "idiotic policies," tends to pass very few of them. I actually am very happy that the SE rejected every unnecessary spending initiative in the last elections, as prescribed in their budget report.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

A basic summary of the regional economies would be nice, if you're not already working on that.

GDP
GDP per capita
Percentage of the workforce in each industry
Percentage of the regional economy of each industry
Unemployment
Job loss/gain rate
Economic growth/decay numbers

The numbers recently posted take care of the fourth and fifth items on that list. I will try to work on the rest as well.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2009, 08:33:47 PM »

I'm, uh, a little bit surprised how much people think policies affect unemployment rates... really, no matter how much and what kind of activity exists in the Midwest, it's not like somehow magically that would turn the Midwest into a manufacturing powerhouse or make the Mideast have a balanced economy or something :S
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2009, 09:09:00 PM »

I'm, uh, a little bit surprised how much people think policies affect unemployment rates... really, no matter how much and what kind of activity exists in the Midwest, it's not like somehow magically that would turn the Midwest into a manufacturing powerhouse or make the Mideast have a balanced economy or something :S

True, though having an unregulated horde of heavily armed ursine running around probably isn't good for economic activity Wink
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #95 on: August 27, 2009, 10:21:19 PM »

Financial News[/size]

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     977  -25.00 (2.495%)

Analysis:
For the first time in the history of the ANSE, The Atlasian stock index fell below 1,000.

Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »

Financial News[/size]

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     977  -25.00 (2.495%)

Analysis:
For the first time in the history of the ANSE, The Atlasian stock index fell below 1,000.

I'm most hopeful that the Senate can amend the election procedure next term to cut down this lame-duck period substantially. It is pretty ridiculous that no substantive legislation can even begin to be debated until September 7th. This has always been an issue left to the back-burner, despite its presence as a nuisance and source of confusion every two months.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: August 28, 2009, 12:12:23 AM »

The lame-duck period was useful two months ago.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: August 28, 2009, 12:37:35 AM »

The lame-duck period was useful two months ago.

It can be useful, but three weeks of it is a bit much I think. Cutting it down to one and a half would give the Senate more time to really get things done.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #99 on: August 28, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »

By the way, just to make sure you are all aware, the first post of the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald main thread has a queue of current and recently completed requests. There is also a column denoting the status of each request, whether it is yet to be written, written and pending posting, or written and posted.

It should help you all keep track of my job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies