The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:10:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50247 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 11:58:29 PM »
« edited: August 19, 2009, 12:00:33 AM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

My biggest trouble has been finding RL numbers. I'll shift it to what you laid out. They probably won't change any more often than monthly at the most.

The CIA World Factbook is a great resource and of course there is always good old wikipedia.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

Scroll down to the Economy section. All the info you need to know about the US economy.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 12:02:22 AM »

My biggest trouble has been finding RL numbers. I'll shift it to what you laid out. They probably won't change any more often than monthly at the most.

The CIA World Factbook is a great resource and of course there is always good old wikipedia.

https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html

Scroll down to the Economy section. All the info you need to know about the US economy.

I've always used the Factbook for other countries. Never thought to use it on my own.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

Okay you are getting there. You need to account for Tax code differences between Atlasia and RL  meaning our revenue will be slightly higher then RL. I would say maybe 2.2 Trillion to 2.5 Trillion instead of 1.8 Trillion.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 12:10:08 AM »

Obviously if any deputy GM would be needed, it's in the economic sector. Wink

How do the healthcare numbers look?
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 12:22:07 AM »

Obviously if any deputy GM would be needed, it's in the economic sector. Wink

How do the healthcare numbers look?

Well I being a cynical conservative doubt that it would run a surplus, at least initially. Other then that they seem at least somewhat reasonable. It would have a positive effect on wages and employement, and even GDP cause small Businesses will expand as you say so thats correct. It would also lead to the dropping of private Health Care plans and the bankruptcy of many small insurers as you say it does. I would say Good job.

And you wanted to do it for Foriegn policy? Told you Tongue. Needs a separate position. Unfortunately most of the "experts" either aren't registered in Atlasia like Beet, Ford, Carl Hayden or have other positions already, Sam Spade. And if you are thinking about me the answer is No way in hell. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 12:28:44 AM »

One more thing. Discretionary spending is as a percentage declining in relation to the overall budget even in good years. In recessions this gets worse. The vast runupp in Deficit from about 2.9 Trillion to 3.6 Trillion is not just cause of Stimulus and such but because of automatic increases in Entitlements like Medicaid, Food Stamps, Unemployemnt etc.
So of the 3.6 Trillion about 1.3 Trillion would be Discretionary spending. The rest almost 64% of the expenditures is entitlements of various kinds and in the future its only going to get worse. Just something to consider when cruncing Fiscal Budget issues.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 12:34:46 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2009, 01:06:50 AM by GM Purple State »

I'll keep that in mind.

Just as a note, the health care cost vs. revenue is projected over ten years, which is why it is running a surplus.

One more thing: I hope you guys can keep up. Wink You would be surprised how much I have ready for this. The confirmation process gave me a lot of time to write things up.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:42 AM »

Just a note to wish best of luck to you PS. Smiley
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2009, 08:51:21 AM »

You're doing a good job Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »

I'm still hoping for Somalia updates, hinthint Wink

Hint: Thanks to the Atlasian recognition of Somaliland it is COMPLETELY STABLE Grin
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »

Hint: Thanks to the Atlasian recognition of Somaliland it is COMPLETELY STABLE Grin

Something is coming down the pipeline, but I'm having so much fun with Colombia right now, especially bringing back the GTO.
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »

DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2009, 11:16:22 AM »

^^

This and can we get some information on what the Dirty South citizens think of the assembly? (obviously not a pressing issue)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2009, 11:40:23 AM »

^^

This and can we get some information on what the Dirty South citizens think of the assembly? (obviously not a pressing issue)

That's more reliant on NC Yank's approval polls. I  can write something based on those numbers, but the idea is pretty clear: a majority of the DS support it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2009, 01:19:12 PM »

Except for the southern part, which doesn't count.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2009, 02:37:13 PM »

Something is coming down the pipeline, but I'm having so much fun with Colombia right now, especially bringing back the GTO.

Yup, I am very much enjoying having something to respond to day to day on.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2009, 04:00:11 PM »

You're succeeding "beyond my wildest expectations" Wink

I plan on introducing legislation relating to the GTO, such as expanding it to other allies such as France, Canada, Italy, Spain or Argentina.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2009, 04:02:03 PM »

You're succeeding "beyond my wildest expectations" Wink

I plan on introducing legislation relating to the GTO, such as expanding it to other allies such as France, Canada, Italy, Spain or Argentina.

For your reference, the treaty was originally ratified through this piece of legislation (F.L. 14-6).

And a hat-tip to MasterJedi for bringing the GTO to my attention the other day.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2009, 05:05:36 PM »

^^

That's more reliant on NC Yank's approval polls. I  can write something based on those numbers, but the idea is pretty clear: a majority of the DS support it.

Come on DWTL. I know you want to give me another $10,000. Tongue

I'll keep that in mind.

Just as a note, the health care cost vs. revenue is projected over ten years, which is why it is running a surplus.

One more thing: I hope you guys can keep up. Wink You would be surprised how much I have ready for this. The confirmation process gave me a lot of time to write things up.

PS, here is one more thing you might want to study in relation to Economic Info
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late-2000s_recession

I admit its long, but it gives you the broad picture.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »

I'm glad I was part of "One of the Greatest Senates Ever"
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2009, 11:03:08 AM »

I'm glad I was part of "One of the Greatest Senates Ever"

I was not. Sad But I got to pass regional legislation as Mideast Speaker regarding the Help Atlasia Study Act, so at least I was around.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2009, 03:52:45 PM »

National News

High Speed Rail Construction Underway!
This past April the Senate passed and then-President bgwah signed the High Speed Rail Act, sponsoring the construction of “railroad tracks designed for high speed electrically operated trains running up to 250 km/h (156 mph).”

The legislation plans routes between St. Louis, MO and Chicago, IL; Washington, DC and Philadelphia, PA and New York, NY and Boston, MA; San Francisco, CA and Los Angeles, CA; and Dallas, TX and Houston, TX. After months of planning, construction has begun on the line between St. Louis and Chicago, placing the cornerstone of what will be an expansive network of paths connecting major Atlasian cities. Sooner than most expected, those charged with implementing the Act attributed much of the early start to the $30 billion in stimulus funding designated for the project, allowing more of the funds allocated thus far to be pushed up.

Many analysts believe that the HSR Act is an achievement of great foresight by the Senate, putting into effect a new nationwide source of construction employment just as the worst economic crisis in recent memory was setting in. In fact, some have gone so far as to dub the Thirtieth Senate one of the great sessions in Atlasian history in terms of quality of legislation, noting the HSR Act as well as the Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009, the Voting While Banned Act and the Middle East Peace Act of 2009.

Although it is not yet clear how big the impact of the HSR Act will be on the construction industry, it can be expected to create upwards of half a million jobs around the nation, dropping the unemployment rate in construction well below the current level of 25 percent.

Does the honerable GM realise that there is in fact a high speed Rail line already in place between those cities, the Northeast Corridor. So does this mean that improvements and repairs will be done to that existing line, which the famous Acela Express runs on(Can reach 120-130 mph easy, I have done so on Train Sim), or are we building a whole new line through there. The existing NEC is badly in need of repairs however, if improved the speeds could reach those specified in the act.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2009, 04:16:44 PM »

National News

This past April the Senate passed and then-President bgwah signed the High Speed Rail Act, sponsoring the construction of “railroad tracks designed for high speed electrically operated trains running up to 250 km/h (156 mph).”

The legislation plans routes between St. Louis, MO and Chicago, IL; Washington, DC and Philadelphia, PA and New York, NY and Boston, MA; San Francisco, CA and Los Angeles, CA; and Dallas, TX and Houston, TX. After months of planning, construction has begun on the line between St. Louis and Chicago, placing the cornerstone of what will be an expansive network of paths connecting major Atlasian cities. Sooner than most expected, those charged with implementing the Act attributed much of the early start to the $30 billion in stimulus funding designated for the project, allowing more of the funds allocated thus far to be pushed up.

Many analysts believe that the HSR Act is an achievement of great foresight by the Senate, putting into effect a new nationwide source of construction employment just as the worst economic crisis in recent memory was setting in. In fact, some have gone so far as to dub the Thirtieth Senate one of the great sessions in Atlasian history in terms of quality of legislation, noting the HSR Act as well as the Help Atlasia Study Act of 2009, the Voting While Banned Act and the Middle East Peace Act of 2009.

Although it is not yet clear how big the impact of the HSR Act will be on the construction industry, it can be expected to create upwards of half a million jobs around the nation, dropping the unemployment rate in construction well below the current level of 25 percent.

Does the honerable GM realise that there is in fact a high speed Rail line already in place between those cities, the Northeast Corridor. So does this mean that improvements and repairs will be done to that existing line, which the famous Acela Express runs on(Can reach 120-130 mph easy, I have done so on Train Sim), or are we building a whole new line through there. The existing NEC is badly in need of repairs however, if improved the speeds could reach those specified in the act.

Because of the requirements in the HSR Act that the line must accommodate trains that reach speeds of up to 156mph, a new line is being built roughly along the path of the current NEC. Upon completion of this HSR line, the NEC will be decommissioned and taken apart.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2009, 05:13:05 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

National News

Because of the requirements in the HSR Act that the line must accommodate trains that reach speeds of up to 156mph, a new line is being built roughly along the path of the current NEC. Upon completion of this HSR line, the NEC will be decommissioned and taken apart.

Ah, no you won't. THe NEC handles Commuter and Freight lines, dummy. You going to shut them down. You can't haul freight at 150 miles of hour. Your knowledge of the Raillines are very lacking. Where are you going to build the new line. Most of the NEC is surronded by Development especially in Philly, Baltimore, and Boston. What about under NYC. The NEC corridor goes under ground in NJ, travels underneath the Hudson under Manhattan, goes through the discusting subway station they have the audacity to call Penn Station and then out through more tunnells underneath the East River to Long Island and New England. You going to build completely new tunnells, where are you going to put them? Clearly the GM doesn't know what he is talking about. Tongue It would cost Hundreds of Billions just for this one line to do what you are asking. Why not just replace, upgrade and modernise existing track over which the Acela currently runs?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2009, 05:15:50 PM »

I'm not researching American railways for this. Wink

The engineers and planners will deal adequately with the placement of tracks, the modernization of current lines, etc. I'm no engineer, I simply report the news.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies