The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:16:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald News Unit  (Read 50298 times)
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:30:01 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     1,006  +5.50 (0.55%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.99645 U.S. (-0.00154)
  • Crude Oil = $74.04/barrel -0.75 (1.0%)
  • Libor = 4.2075; OIS = 0.96
  • Prime Rate = 4.5
  • 3-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.218
    6-Month Government Bond Yields = 0.722
    2-Year Government Bond Yields = 1.42
    10-Year Government Bond Yields = 3.45

Analysis:
The ANSE rose slightly at the news that the Senate’s composition would remain relatively stable. Investors, hoping that the incoming Senate will continue to address economic matters, were comforted by the stability, as it was the previous Senate that passed major health care reform and the economic stimulus bill.

The Atlasian Dollar continued its falling trend as regional budget numbers have appeared worse than expected.

Oil fell slightly after rising nearly six percent in one week. This is likely a result of the lack of tense news coming from Venezuela.

The split between the London Interbank Offered Rate (LIBOR) and the Overnight Index Swap (OIS) rate is 3.2475 and growing. The rising LIBOR indicates that banks believe the other banks they are lending to have a higher risk of defaulting on the loans so they are charging a higher interest rate to offset this risk. It also tells us that the credit markets are not functioning as smoothly as they could be.

Sh**t a 300 point spread that means the banking system is collasping. We need to move on this at once. Like Yesterday. Good job PS! Smiley

Figured the best way to do it was check the US's numbers from last October. All good.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 08:40:09 PM »

I'm not researching American railways for this. Wink

The engineers and planners will deal adequately with the placement of tracks, the modernization of current lines, etc. I'm no engineer, I simply report the news.

My railway workers un my as yet unamed Railroad are considering going on strike due to your lack of appreciation for there importance.

I have some more requests
I need Housing market Data
Retail Sales
Durable Goods orders
Factory orders(also say whether this number is due to export changes or changes in domestic consumption)
Consumer Spending
Consumer Confidence

Please try to do some research on these. Tongue

NCY, if you could specify which data specifically in those categories you would like it would greatly expedite the process.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 11:34:56 AM »

Sorry, all unexpectedly did not have internet after yesterday early morning. I will put a few things up in the next little bit.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 01:34:26 PM »

ilikeverin, I will revisit the numbers a little later. I won't simply be basing numbers on the US though, especially because of the differing attitudes in Atlasia vs. the US.

Could be joking ourselves any harder than to think the GBLT Trade Act would actually work? 

If you can explain to me why a small country like Saint Lucia, that doesn't punish female homosexuality and only fines and/or jails male homosexual activity, would not react to restrictions on trade that lead to economic hardship in their country, I would like to hear it. Otherwise, I have a feeling you give far too much credence to the amount that people care about social issues when they are hurting in the wallet.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 06:52:55 PM »

Regional News

Regional Budgets Released
For the first time in Atlasian history the budgets of each region were released to the GM. They will be released in the order of largest to smallest over the course of the next few days:

Mideast: This region has revenue of $600 billion and expenses of $680 billion, resulting in a deficit of $80 billion. The deficit is mostly a result of the current economic crisis, which has hit the region harder than most. While the numbers currently seem reasonable, this office projects that Mideast industries, especially the automotive industry, will continue to falter beyond the end of the current recession. With that in mind, it is highly recommended that the region directly inject all stimulus money into local industries, cut the corporate tax in half and operate in an increased deficit economy for the near future. This office also urges the federal government to direct an additional $50 billion to $100 billion to the Midwest over the next year to alleviate the region’s budgetary woes.

Do these deficit figures take into account federal stimulus money received/expected to receive? If not, what is the amount of federal stimulus money the Mideast can expect to receive to at least partially fill that $80 billion shortfall?

Please place all questions/comments in the News Room thread to keep this board clear.

I believe the reports mention (at least some do) that this is not including the stimulus funds; however, there is some directive as to how to spend the money (local industries, such as automotive, in the case of the Mideast). In addition, the regions may choose how they close their deficits, either through taxation (this is outlined for some) or using stimulus funding.

Why would the Mideast unemployment be that high, and further, higher than the South? (Especially considering all their idiotic policies.)

The Mideast is home to the auto-industry of Atlasia. The massive problems those companies face has resulted in major unemployment. Meanwhile, the Southeast, despite their proposed "idiotic policies," tends to pass very few of them. I actually am very happy that the SE rejected every unnecessary spending initiative in the last elections, as prescribed in their budget report.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2009, 07:26:39 PM »

A basic summary of the regional economies would be nice, if you're not already working on that.

GDP
GDP per capita
Percentage of the workforce in each industry
Percentage of the regional economy of each industry
Unemployment
Job loss/gain rate
Economic growth/decay numbers

The numbers recently posted take care of the fourth and fifth items on that list. I will try to work on the rest as well.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2009, 11:56:48 PM »

Financial News[/size]

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     977  -25.00 (2.495%)

Analysis:
For the first time in the history of the ANSE, The Atlasian stock index fell below 1,000.

I'm most hopeful that the Senate can amend the election procedure next term to cut down this lame-duck period substantially. It is pretty ridiculous that no substantive legislation can even begin to be debated until September 7th. This has always been an issue left to the back-burner, despite its presence as a nuisance and source of confusion every two months.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2009, 12:37:35 AM »

The lame-duck period was useful two months ago.

It can be useful, but three weeks of it is a bit much I think. Cutting it down to one and a half would give the Senate more time to really get things done.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2009, 01:03:15 AM »

By the way, just to make sure you are all aware, the first post of the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald main thread has a queue of current and recently completed requests. There is also a column denoting the status of each request, whether it is yet to be written, written and pending posting, or written and posted.

It should help you all keep track of my job.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2009, 05:03:30 PM »

Could you periodically, say, once a week, update us on the economic status of the individual regions.

I will try to describe the directions of the regions once a week or so, more likely through analysis or stories than specific data, which probably won't come more often than once a month, simply because the regions don't act on enough to effect enough change to make a substantive difference that quickly
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2009, 05:47:28 PM »

Could you periodically, say, once a week, update us on the economic status of the individual regions.

I will try to describe the directions of the regions once a week or so, more likely through analysis or stories than specific data, which probably won't come more often than once a month, simply because the regions don't act on enough to effect enough change to make a substantive difference that quickly

I know, but it would also be interesting to see how federal  policy affects certain regions.

That I will be sure to include in the analysis of federal policies from now on, especially when the stimulus funds begin rolling out.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2009, 02:22:41 PM »

I'm wondering how you came up with regional population numbers, because it isn't based on the real figures.

It is based on the populations of the regions as a proportion of the whole, which is derived from the US population total.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2009, 02:27:34 PM »

I'm wondering how you came up with regional population numbers, because it isn't based on the real figures.

It is based on the populations of the regions as a proportion of the whole, which is derived from the US population total.

Well... 2 of the 4 most populous states are in the Southeast, and 4 of the top 10. Meanwhile the Midwest has nothing. You should look into updating that.

Most populous states does not have anything to do with total regional populations. The populations of the regions, as outlined by the SoFA are:

Mideast, Midwest = 25 (~18%)
Pacific, Northeast = 35 (~25%)
Southeast = 19 (~14%)

That is what the numbers are based on. I would agree that there are a number of ways I can do these numbers to make some regions bigger or smaller. This is how I chose to do it so as to more accurately represent Atlasia, rather than the US.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »

I've posted the Midwest regional education numbers. I won't be doing every region in this way unless there are specific requests (I know Marokai wants the Pacific, so that will be the next one I work on). It will take some time to do each one.

In your requests, it would be greatly appreciated if you brought to my attention any legislation passed by the region pertaining to education (as Vepres did with the End to Standardization Act).
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2009, 04:08:29 PM »

I'll request the same education numbers that you gave for the Mideast, as well.

I'm fairly certain I know of most of the Mideast's legislation on education (as I passed some of it), but if you could dig that up and post links in here that would be great.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2009, 09:27:35 PM »

I just want to say that you're doing such an amazing job so far PS. Please, keep it up, I love all the economic data, and can never get enough.

Agreed.

Hopefully your tenure will set a standard that all future GMs will reach for so that when your time as GM has ended, we can continue this awesome flow of information.

BTW, how long do you think you'll remain in this post at the moment?

I thank you all for the kind words. And I have no plans to leave this office for a good while Vepres. I'm not eyeing October or anything, so you are stuck with me here for a while.

Grin Positive results from the End to Standardization Act.

I have my moments. Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2009, 12:30:09 AM »

Expect Mideast education numbers tomorrow. If someone can get me any laws passed by the Pacific on education, I would appreciate not having to hunt for them myself.

By the way, if it has not yet been noted, Saturdays are the GM's day off. Wink
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2009, 11:27:39 AM »

Hey PS, you may want to proof read the most recent update.

Had a feeling I may miss something. All fixed.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2009, 06:43:11 PM »

Housing data gives me more cause for concern. Hopefully my credit bill will have some impact. Which should be introduced by tomorrow.

For the remaining economic stuff up on the queue I've been having trouble finding data. If you could point me in the right direction (feel free to post it or PM it to me) it would be appreciated.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »

I didn't notice till know that Crude oil raced up to the $80's recently. We may have to take drastic actions. I hope recent bills by Marokai and others might have an impact. If not, or if not enough, I might have one or two arrows in my quiver but neither is very promising either. We did Health Care, the biggest drain on consumers and small Business. The next biggest drain is Energy costs. Whats left to be done, that hasn't already though? Atlasia has programs for Mass Transportation and alternative energy, and have done much more then in RL in general. We start getting over $100 is when the cause for concern becomes real. 

Most of the current increases in crude oil are a result of the tension in South America. It is understandable that the Senate does not have all that much power to change things there. Diplomacy mostly depend on how the executive handles the situation. HW has tried. Perhaps Lief will as well?

I have not yet made up my mind on how the matter there will proceed. It really can go either way (war or deescalation), but it depends fully on how it is handled.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2009, 01:15:12 PM »

I didn't notice till know that Crude oil raced up to the $80's recently. We may have to take drastic actions. I hope recent bills by Marokai and others might have an impact. If not, or if not enough, I might have one or two arrows in my quiver but neither is very promising either. We did Health Care, the biggest drain on consumers and small Business. The next biggest drain is Energy costs. Whats left to be done, that hasn't already though? Atlasia has programs for Mass Transportation and alternative energy, and have done much more then in RL in general. We start getting over $100 is when the cause for concern becomes real. 

Most of the current increases in crude oil are a result of the tension in South America. It is understandable that the Senate does not have all that much power to change things there. Diplomacy mostly depend on how the executive handles the situation. HW has tried. Perhaps Lief will as well?

I have not yet made up my mind on how the matter there will proceed. It really can go either way (war or deescalation), but it depends fully on how it is handled.

I was referring to our dependence on oil in general. Do we still rely on imported oil for 70% of Atlasias energy or has that gone up or down from RL at all?

That number is closer to 60% at the moment, with a likely drastic decrease as renewable energy initiatives propagate and launch. So in that sense, the price of crude oil may not be as significant, but is still significant. Not to mention cars still mostly use gas, so the average Atlasian is feeling the pinch.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

National News

From the GM’s Desk: Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill
An important function of the Game Moderator is to provide functional and timely information to not only discussing the impact of Senate legislation, but also to notify the Senate and nation about possible effects of legislation currently being debated. To achieve this function, the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald launches the series “From the GM’s Desk.”

Efficient Automobile Rebate System Bill: This legislation, proposed by Senator Marokai Blue and currently being debated in the Senate, seeks to establish an $8 billion, six-month program to increase short-term demand for automobiles through a rebate scheme, while also promoting trade-ins of old “clunker” vehicles for more fuel-efficient cars, trucks and SUVs.

The Office of the GM believes that this legislation would generate nearly 2 million rebate applications for approximately $7.75 billion. This will translate into nearly $60 billion of economic activity, a massive short-term boost to domestic auto sales benefiting local car dealers throughout Atlasia first and foremost. Of that, it is likely that $24 billion, or 40 percent, will be from those who had not previously planned to purchase a new car. This is three times the amount spent by the government on the program, not including expectations of increased production by automakers, increased spending from rebates and other effects.

The environmental impact of the bill is less clear. If someone swapped a clunker that got 18 miles per gallon for a new car that got 27.5 mpg (the current average fuel economy standard for passenger cars) and drove it for 12,000 miles (the average distance an Atlasian car travels annually), you would personally save a little more than two tons of CO2 from being emitted in one year. However, manufacturing a new car produces 6.7 tons of carbon dioxide on average, the equivalent of burning approximately 700 gallons of gas.

The likely environmental results of the program would require at least two years before realizing CO2 reductions. If each car purchased is kept for 10 years, then the total savings should be a little less than 26.6 million tons of carbon dioxide. That means each ton of carbon dioxide would be worth about $291.35 to the Atlasian government. A ton of CO2 currently goes for about $17.50 on the European Climate Exchange.

The environmental gain comes from raising the Average MPG of the US car fleet. The CO2 reductions may not be realised immediately.

The bill raises the average MPG of the Atlasian car fleet insofar as it leads people to purchase vehicles with higher fuel efficiency. Based on the number of cars that are likely to be purchased, in combination with the average MPG change between the car traded in and the new car purchased, the number of years most cars are used, the number of miles each car drives, etc., it was determined that the long-run environmental impact would be tangible, but overpaid for.

This is not to say that the economic impact of the bill will not be substantial, as the report does state significant economic benefits. But the bill should not be viewed as a productive way to reduce CO2 emissions. If the intent of the legislation was to reduce emissions alone, this would be a pretty bad bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2009, 05:45:26 PM »

Financial News

Financial Indicators
  • ANSE     945.50  -5.00 (0.53%)
  • $1 Atlasian = $0.98492 U.S. (-0.00302)
  • Crude Oil = $89.46/barrel +3.09 (3.58%)

Analysis:
The ANSE continued to decline slightly as the Senate appears to lack focus and direction. Without an elected PPT for the first week of Senate activity, in addition to the grinding legislative procedure, economists worry major economic legislation will not come soon enough. These losses, however, are being tempered by the expected release of the first stimulus funds to the regions. No region has yet outlined a method to apportion those funds.

The Atlasian Dollar fell as Oil spiked.

Oil prices neared $90 per barrel as major news from South America seemed to indicate an inevitable clash between close Atlasian ally Colombia and major oil producer Venezuela. Without any word from President Lief or the Senate, many worry that a war between the two nations could disrupt the production of oil.

Really!?! The regions apportion some of the stimulus money. Did not know that.

Yup. They get some direct cash, so it would be nice if they had some way to distribute it. There are also portions of funding that go to federal programs run by the regions, which means how the regions spend that money exactly, within the confines of the law, is up to them.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 12, 2009, 08:41:46 PM »

Working on it. I'm trying to keep it at one story a day (to keep me sane) and there is much to report on. You will hopefully get them this week.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2009, 09:29:19 PM »
« Edited: September 12, 2009, 09:45:07 PM by GM Purple State »

Working on it. I'm trying to keep it at one story a day (to keep me sane) and there is much to report on. You will hopefully get them this week.

You will definitely get it Tuesday. Minimum wage on Monday. Foreign news tomorrow.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies