Bunning Will Not Seek Reelection
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:03:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Bunning Will Not Seek Reelection
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bunning Will Not Seek Reelection  (Read 3696 times)
SamInTheSouth

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2009, 04:56:38 PM »

Jim Bunning has announced that he will not seek reelection next year.  I am thinking that would put this seat back in a lean Republican category by default, rather than a toss up, but it will depend on the candidates from parties I imagine.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/07/bunning-says-he-will-not-seek-reelection.html
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 05:02:51 PM »

Jim Bunning has announced that he will not seek reelection next year.  I am thinking that would put this seat back in a lean Republican category by default, rather than a toss up, but it will depend on the candidates from parties I imagine.

http://blogs.usatoday.com/onpolitics/2009/07/bunning-says-he-will-not-seek-reelection.html

GOOD.  Now the republicans have a good chance of holding the seat.  The last thing we need is net gains for democrats in congress.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 05:16:56 PM »

GOOD.  Now the republicans have a good chance of holding the seat.  The last thing we need is net gains for democrats in congress.

Agreed. I like Bunning as a senator, but It's notl ikely to see him win another term.

Go Trey!
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:02 PM »

Lucky breaks for the GOP of late.  Lisa Madigan passes on a Senate race.  Bunning will retire.  Dodd will not.  Guess they'll get Castle to run too.

It could have been worse. Linda Lingle and John Hoeven could have been running for the U.S. Senate as well.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »

But the Democrats' candidate is so dreamy.

JohnnyLongtorso
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2009, 05:40:58 PM »

I'd still call it a tossup at this point. Conway is fundraising like a madman and the one or two polls that have been put out so far show it a tie between him and Greyson. I'd wait and see what happens.
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2009, 05:42:13 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2009, 05:55:18 PM by The Arizonan »

However, McConnell is not going to get reelected in 2014.

EDIT: I wasn't paying attention to the year when I was typing this.
Kevinstat

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2009, 05:50:56 PM »

However, McConnell is not going to get reelected in 2010.

Were you joking?  I couldn't tell, but McConnell was just reelected last fall and his seat isn't up until 2014 which, if Obama is reelected in 2012, will probably not be in a favorable climate for Democratic pickups.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 06:27:10 PM »

Toss-up/tilt Dem -> Mod GOP

I would still keep an eye on this one though but KY has swung hard away from the Dems over the last decade and the Republican candidate appears to be fairly strong. Once Greyson actually announces I expect his fundraising will improve and money won't be an issue. 
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »

Excellent.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 08:46:47 PM »

However, McConnell is not going to get reelected in 2014.

EDIT: I wasn't paying attention to the year when I was typing this.

Um.. yea, your not a complete hack. How would oyu know? You don't even live in Kentucky? If he won in a ultra-democrat year, he can win in 2014
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 08:49:59 PM »

Lucky breaks for the GOP of late.  Lisa Madigan passes on a Senate race.  Bunning will retire.  Dodd will not.  Guess they'll get Castle to run too.

It could have been worse. Linda Lingle and John Hoeven could have been running for the U.S. Senate as well.

Is Inouye running for reelection?  There is no way Lingle would jump in as long as Inouye is seeking another term.  If he retires though, you can almost count on it.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 08:50:54 PM »

Castle doesn't seem all that interested and he is the only Republican that I think could win.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2009, 02:13:40 PM »

Hoeven will not run. Lingle will run and lose 59-41 or at best 57-43
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 05:42:53 AM »

I just saw on our local news channel that the candidates were at some barbecue-rally thing in Fancy Farm and apparently Mongiardo's campaign is attacking Conway because he told the crowd who booed at him that they could chew on his hyde all they wanted but that they better chew harder because he's a "tough son of a bitch." I'd like to chew on his hyde Smiley lol
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 07:06:53 PM »

Is there any chance Rand Paul can win the primary?  I mean the guy puts out a nauseating amount of Facebook posts, but other than that I haven't heard a word about him in this race
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 07:19:46 PM »

Is there any chance Rand Paul can win the primary?  I mean the guy puts out a nauseating amount of Facebook posts, but other than that I haven't heard a word about him in this race

Not that I can see. Between Northern KY(along the OH border) which is Bunning's base(Grayson is a Bunning protege); the traditional rocked ribbed Republicans in the Southeast(Hal Rogers District, been heaving Republican since about the Civil War and heavily Conservative); and The Conservatives in the Central part of the state and to the West, I don't see where a Libertarian finds much of a base especially in a Republican primary.
SamInTheSouth

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 09:43:38 PM »

A couple of conservatives I know say Grayson is a "RINO" but I don't know anything about the guy.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2009, 12:52:45 PM »

He opened his campaign in NYC.

He doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2009, 10:25:37 PM »

A couple of conservatives I know say Grayson is a "RINO" but I don't know anything about the guy.

How is Grayson, a RINO?
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2009, 10:36:37 AM »

How is Grayson, a RINO?

I doubt he's a RINO, but he's a Harvard graduate, so that may cause some tensions with people who came up solely from within the state.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2009, 05:33:25 PM »

How is Grayson, a RINO?

I doubt he's a RINO, but he's a Harvard graduate, so that may cause some tensions with people who came up solely from within the state.

Okay lets say you are Rand Paul. How do you play that card when you yourself just announced in NYC? He is opening himself up to a hypocracy charge.
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:40:42 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2009, 05:06:08 PM by Reluctant Republican »

Being  a devoted Paulite, I thought I’d drop on in and post this.

http://www.beloblog.com/WHAS_Blogs/PoliticalBlogger/2009/08/grayson-mongiardo-lead-in-sena.html

Not sure I can legally copy and paste from the link, I’ll remove if I should.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Head to head's should be out soon as well. I'm suprised to see Mongiardo doing so well. Though you guys would know better then me how much stock to put into this poll.

Edit: Head to head numbers, according to the site above, though I can't find the poll itself anywhere yet.

Grayson: 44%
Conway: 37%

Grayson: 46%
Mongiardo: 40%

Paul: 38%
Conway: 43%

Paul: 41%
Mongiardo: 43%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length