A New History of Atlasia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 09, 2024, 11:49:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  A New History of Atlasia
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: A New History of Atlasia  (Read 18076 times)
Alexander Hamilton
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: -5.13

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: August 17, 2009, 02:54:30 PM »

Does anyone else remember when Porce/Ebowed became a dictator for a week back when he first got elected president? He illegally appointed Preston to Attorney General and began going crazy, and there was tension for a while when me (as SoD) and Q (as VP) almost got him declared him ineligible for the Presidency. There was extra confusion because we weren't even sure who all was in the cabinet because some of his appointments hadn't gone through yet.

Now that was a fun time.

I remember lots of dictator-like things he did. Like completely ignore Senate rules as PPT.

Unless you were there, you don't remember anything.

I would now like an IP check from MJ or afleitch or whomever.

Um, I have already brought this stuff up in my campaign, regarding the Naso nomination. It's pretty common knowledge.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #126 on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:29 PM »

Does anyone else remember when Porce/Ebowed became a dictator for a week back when he first got elected president? He illegally appointed Preston to Attorney General and began going crazy, and there was tension for a while when me (as SoD) and Q (as VP) almost got him declared him ineligible for the Presidency. There was extra confusion because we weren't even sure who all was in the cabinet because some of his appointments hadn't gone through yet.

Now that was a fun time.

I remember lots of dictator-like things he did. Like completely ignore Senate rules as PPT.

Um, I have already brought this stuff up in my campaign, regarding the Naso nomination. It's pretty common knowledge.

Your knowledge is one thing. Phrasing it as though you were there is another. I will leave it to the mods on this. As I do not pretend to know what is going on, I will defer to those who do.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #127 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:43 PM »

Now that was a fun time.

Your concerns have not fallen on deaf ears. The moderators are looking into this matter.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #128 on: August 17, 2009, 04:04:46 PM »

(ignoring hamilton being creepy)

What happened there? I've always wondered.

Here's a good read for you:

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=42591.0
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #129 on: August 17, 2009, 04:12:49 PM »

GM reform has been big for a while I see. It also seems that newspapers actually created news back then, rather than the reporting most papers do in today's Atlasia. Interesting to see how the dynamics worked way back when.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #130 on: August 17, 2009, 04:31:06 PM »

Hmm, I've been around almost the entire time. I remember Boss Tweed's first thread that gave birth to the forum, though I was mostly lurking then. I became a registered voter a few months later. I have not changed my registration since March 21st, 2004.

Al, Gustaf, Lewis, and Verin are the only other people I can think of off the top of my head who are still around from that era.

There are some other old timers who still post on the forum (Nym, Supersoulty, Harry, etc) but not in Atlasia.

Ahem.  Hello.
Ahem Hello
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: August 17, 2009, 04:33:26 PM »

Whoa, looks like this could pull a bunch of older members out from the woodwork. When is the last time TexasGurl has posted in Atlasia? I've only seen mentions in stories, never an actual post here.

*Quickly checks TexasGurl's Wiki page*
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #132 on: August 17, 2009, 04:34:49 PM »

The only question now is, who was Hamilton, previously?
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #133 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:20 PM »

Now get off my lawn!
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #134 on: August 17, 2009, 04:36:49 PM »

Only if you stay.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #135 on: August 17, 2009, 05:01:52 PM »

That's...interesting.

Also, yay, old members!
Sewer
SpaceCommunistMutant
Junior Chimp
« Reply #136 on: August 17, 2009, 05:02:11 PM »

The only question now is, who was Hamilton, previously?

I know.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #137 on: August 17, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »

Now that was a fun time.

Heh, sadly no President since has argued that they have the right to "remove" Senators at will. Wink

Man, that was a long time ago.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #138 on: August 17, 2009, 09:11:05 PM »

GM reform has been big for a while I see. It also seems that newspapers actually created news back then, rather than the reporting most papers do in today's Atlasia. Interesting to see how the dynamics worked way back when.

Yeah, I could give you a couple stories about GM reform, dude.

The appointment of a news "team" (consisting of Speed of Sound, jerusalemcar5, True Democrat, and several others) was basically a horrific disaster.  At some point the infighting became so ridiculous that I created a new position which retained the ability to resolve conflicts between the different people working as GM.  Talk about bureaucracy.

Maybe it could have worked with different people.  I dunno.  It was an interesting concept.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #139 on: August 17, 2009, 09:16:26 PM »

The appointment of a news "team" (consisting of Speed of Sound, jerusalemcar5, True Democrat, and several others) was basically a horrific disaster.  At some point the infighting became so ridiculous that I created a new position which retained the ability to resolve conflicts between the different people working as GM.  Talk about bureaucracy.

Maybe it could have worked with different people.  I dunno.  It was an interesting concept.

Take out Jcar and it probably could have worked from what I remember.

And then I got to overrule most of your free trade vetoes, that was very fun! Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #140 on: August 17, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »

I'd like to know if there were ever anytime where there was an Acting President? And if they kind of went crazy with power while they were Acting President? Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #141 on: August 17, 2009, 09:20:04 PM »

I'd like to know if there were ever anytime where there was an Acting President? And if they kind of went crazy with power while they were Acting President? Smiley

I was acting President under Joe Republic for a month.

I think I held off on the crazy until my actual term began. Smiley
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #142 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »

I was acting President under Joe Republic for a month.

I think I held off on the crazy until my actual term began. Smiley

What happened to Joe to make you AP? Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #143 on: August 17, 2009, 09:22:49 PM »

He got into a serious car crash.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #144 on: August 17, 2009, 09:25:06 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry. My question seems kind of rude now.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #145 on: August 17, 2009, 09:39:39 PM »

Shocking Revelations!

True motivations behind Ebowed's mad power grab revealed!

Porce, you are a funny.  Keep up the good work Smiley

(no really, Atlasia was bumbling along the depths of tedium until this happened Wink)

Thanks, finally someone realizes what I'm doing Wink

I'm not trying to establish a dictatorship or anything - this place just needs to be more fun!

All this and more, from ilikeverin's inbox (tm) that he never cleans!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #146 on: August 18, 2009, 04:01:42 AM »

I was Acting President while Colin was away for a few days. Didn't do anything crazy, but then Presidents rarely do. What was possibly the most notable such craziness has already been brought up here. Notwithstanding that, Ebowed was still one of our best Presidents all things considered.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2009, 10:49:48 PM »

Heh, the whole thing was my idea. How soon we forget?

I miss jcar. I have him on facebook, but I dont talk to him anymore.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #148 on: December 02, 2010, 06:01:05 PM »

Could this ever happen?
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2010, 06:45:58 PM »

I was just thinking about this.  The question is how to do it, both by content and procedure.  Some of the ideas are good starting points.  I think it would be better to trace the history of Atlasia by attempting to establish a "party era" and during each era you discuss the administrations, the back and forth, the rise and fall, etc.

As far as procedure, you could create a committee, where one person concentrates on each specific.  Or just give the job to one person.  Probably should even create a position, like Senate Historian or Librarian of the Senate to maintain the ongoing history so we don't fall behind again.  I have spent months trying to catch up on the fascinating history, and think that a full written history would be amazing. 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies