Amendment to the SoEA Codification Act (On the President's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2024, 02:58:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Amendment to the SoEA Codification Act (On the President's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Amendment to the SoEA Codification Act (On the President's Desk)  (Read 4143 times)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »
« edited: August 25, 2009, 07:25:34 PM by Senator MasterJedi, PPT »

Amendment to the SoEA Role Codification Act

1. F.L. 31-21, Clause 1 shall hereby be amended to read as follows: "Every 2 months a renewed foreign policy review must be presented within the Department of External Affairs Office. Upon the full release of the review, the Senate shall be required to consider, amend if neccessry, and vote on the review as normal legislation.

2. The following shall be inserted as clause 6:
       6. The SOEA shall serve, where appropriate, as the deputy GM for external affairs. In this role, the SOEA may provide the Senate and Atlasia with the necessary information to conduct debate and create legislation pertaining to external matters. All such information shall be considered valid pending approval by the GM.

Spon: Sen. PurpleState
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 01:21:48 PM »

In order to ensure this passes, I am willing to remove the second clause if it becomes too controversial.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:35 PM »

In order to ensure this passes, I am willing to remove the second clause if it becomes too controversial.

"Create legislation" is a bit unsettling the way it's worded, but I like the idea of splitting off some of the GM responsibilities to the SoEA. We need to do more to make that office less under the radar. Overall a good bill, though.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 07:27:19 PM »

So any amendments on that which was discussed? If so let me know and a vote won't be opened right away.
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »

I reall would prefer the removal of the second clause.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 08:47:17 AM »

I don't see why the second clause should be controversial. Sure, it's extra work, but the job isn't either one to snooze away on.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 03:41:40 PM »

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm kind of uncomfortable with the first clause. The Senate shouldn't be the ones determining foreign policy here. I'm afraid we're drifting back into "legislative supremacy" that certain members espouse.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 07:59:46 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 10:39:20 PM by Senator Purple State »

The second clause is optional. The SoEA is given the ability to contribute, not the responsibility.

The first clause links the SoEA and Senate more directly, making the office slightly more substantial. It also forces the Senate to actually voice opinions on foreign policy, important because the Senate really controls most aspects of the game.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2009, 10:41:02 PM »

By the way, MJ, I would greatly appreciate a final vote on this before my confirmation vote is closed that way the Senate doesn't need to find someone to take sponsorship of the bill. This can be my last vote in the office, a pretty good way to go considering my focus on game reform.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 07:34:12 AM »

By the way, MJ, I would greatly appreciate a final vote on this before my confirmation vote is closed that way the Senate doesn't need to find someone to take sponsorship of the bill. This can be my last vote in the office, a pretty good way to go considering my focus on game reform.

That can be done. Though once it "passes" or "fails" I'll start your confirmation vote once the 24 hour waiting period begins, if there is one.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 08:27:27 AM »

That can be done. Though once it "passes" or "fails" I'll start your confirmation vote once the 24 hour waiting period begins, if there is one.

Works for me. Has Brandon officially resigned? Unless Lief's appointment of a new GM automatically is considered a dismissal of the previous?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »

I hereby open up a final vote on the bill below. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Aye
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 01:22:54 PM »

Aye
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 01:24:26 PM »

I am proud to cast what I hope to be my last vote as Senator on this bill.

Aye

Thanks MJ.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 01:44:40 PM »

Aye.

Actually, the more I think about it, I'm kind of uncomfortable with the first clause. The Senate shouldn't be the ones determining foreign policy here. I'm afraid we're drifting back into "legislative supremacy" that certain members espouse.

The first clause, all issues aside, will also help make the SoEA a real position that does something, and not a do-nothing chair warming job. Interaction between legislature and cabinet member is rather normal.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:53:44 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 02:53:41 PM »

Aye
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 03:06:45 PM »

With 6 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signature.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 04:21:16 PM »

Aye ftr
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 11:03:58 PM »

I don't believe that the SoEA (or the cabinet or President or Senate) should be in charge of creating news; the SoEA needs to be concerned with responding to news developments. My SoEA agrees with me on this point. At the same time, I strongly support clause one, and I believe that it is an important, much needed reform. Therefore, under the power granted to me by the 19th amendment, I strike clause two, redrafting the bill as follows and sending it back to the Senate:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 05:36:18 AM »

With 6 Ayes, 0 Nays and 0 Abstentions this bill has passed. I hereby present it to the President for his signature.

Abstain, for the record.

My, the things you miss during family crises. Sad
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »

Ok, with the comp I'm on I can't access the Wiki for some dumb reason and I won't be on a comp that will let me until later. So, I think I'm supposed to have 24 hours of debate and then another vote on whether to accept the changes. Can anyone confirm that as correct?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 08:12:35 AM »

Ok, nevermind I was able to read into it.

So PS can either file a motion to accept the redraft by a simple majority vote or withdraw the bill.

If it's approved then it's sent back to the President for his signature or veto. If the changes are rejected PS can then either file a motion to send the orignal bill back to the President for his signature or veto or motion to keep debate going on the original bill.

I'd suggest rejecting his changes and then override his probably veto. And once PS becomes GM I plan on becoming the sponsor of this bill.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 10:01:10 AM »

Ok, nevermind I was able to read into it.

So PS can either file a motion to accept the redraft by a simple majority vote or withdraw the bill.

If it's approved then it's sent back to the President for his signature or veto. If the changes are rejected PS can then either file a motion to send the orignal bill back to the President for his signature or veto or motion to keep debate going on the original bill.

I'd suggest rejecting his changes and then override his probably veto. And once PS becomes GM I plan on becoming the sponsor of this bill.

It was my thought that the President's actions were interpreted as a veto, with his recommendation for what he would like to see instead. In that case would only a veto override be needed?

If only an override is necessary I request that one be brought. If not we should bring up a vote on the changes and I urge their rejection.

While I don't believe deputy GM should be the responsibility of the SoEA, it should be an option. It would be especially important during times of the GM's absence, where at least there could be a source of foreign news. In addition, bridging the divide between the Cabinet and Senate and Cabinet and rest of Atlasia will improve the game.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 12:06:31 PM »

Ok, then I hereby open up the vote as to whether to accept the changes made by President Lief.

Nay, we can override it and then send it back to him. If he still chooses to veto it we can easily override him.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies