Massachusetts 2010 Superthread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:23:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  Massachusetts 2010 Superthread
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Massachusetts 2010 Superthread  (Read 2995 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:48:16 PM »

So, there's going to be a lot of shake up in 2010 here in Massachusetts, between our three-way gubernatorial race and select open statewide seats... I thought it'd be worth while to start a master thread to collect the information.

We've already talked about the Gov race, so let's look down ballot a little.

The first race to focus on: State Auditor.  Five-term (or 6?) incumbent DeNucci may retire, given the recent interest in the seat on both the Dem and GOP side:

On the Democratic side, we have Patrick Labor Secretary Suzanne Bump, who has had a (ugh, pun to come) BUMPY RIDE (haw haw, told you) while exploring a run:

Bump tries to quiet controversy over her interest in state auditor gig

"It could perhaps have been written off as a rookie mistake—if she were a political rookie.

But Suzanne Bump, Governor Deval Patrick’s labor secretary, a lawyer, and former state representative, angered her boss when she visited longtime state auditor Joe DeNucci recently and told him she was interested in his job.
"

On the GOP side, well... they might be able to field a candidate this time!  (And a good one, at that.)

Connaughton ‘leaning towards’ run for auditor

"Mary Connaughton, a Republican appointee to the Massachusetts Turnpike Authority board who has been an outspoken on tolling issues, said Wednesday she is "leaning towards" a run for state auditor.

"I think the watchdog role suits me well," Connaughton said in a phone interview, citing her experience as an auditor with Ernst & Young. "I will be able to serve the public well in that position ... The check that that role performs is critical given that it appears there’s a sense that government is running a bit amok these days."
"
pragmatic liberal

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »

Don't forget that there will - sadly - probably be a 2010 special Senate election for Ted Kennedy's seat.

I imagine that Martha Coakley and half of the House delegation would run.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 09:58:22 AM »

Don't forget that there will - sadly - probably be a 2010 special Senate election for Ted Kennedy's seat.

Oh, indeed, though people are much more cautious about displaying interest in the seat.  Coakley is definitely gearing up for a run, but you could wind up having a lot more player in once the seat actually opens.

In any case, next up, we have the office of Treasurer, an open seat—incumbent Cahill is running for governor as an independent.

Former gubernatorial candidate Steve Grossman is the only announced candidate thus far.

Some other possibilities on the Democratic side: Norfolk County Sheriff Michael Bellotti, Patrick Labor Commish Suzanne Bump, former state Treasurer Shannon O'Brien, state Sen. Mark Montigny, state Rep. Steven Walsh, Plymouth County Treasurer Thomas O'Brien, state Rep. Thomas Conroy, and Norfolk County Treasurer Joseph Connolly.

The GOP side is more cloudy, and there remains the ever-present possibility that no Republican will wind up running. The only names in this race are those who are named as possibilities for other races, namely State Sen. Scott Brown and MassPike board member Mary Z. Connaughton.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 05:53:58 PM »

Maybe Jim Ogonowski will manage to qualify for the ballot this time!
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:57:21 PM »

If Baker wins, whoever his Lt. Governor is would be an obvious candidate since they would not have to run for reelection that year, and it would be a cheap way to get name-recognition. If Baker does not win, who knows?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2009, 09:41:56 AM »

Which candidate is the least liberal, also I'm guessing none are Pro-Life.
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2009, 11:13:11 AM »

Which candidate is the least liberal, also I'm guessing none are Pro-Life.

On social issues, all of the candidates for Governor support Gay Marriage and are politically Pro-Choice, though Cahill is "personally pro-life. Cahill and Baker are the most fiscally conservative, with Cahill perhaps running to Baker's right on that and opposing the Massachusetts healthcare law.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:08 AM »

If Baker wins, whoever his Lt. Governor is would be an obvious candidate since they would not have to run for reelection that year, and it would be a cheap way to get name-recognition. If Baker does not win, who knows?

I would presume Sen. Scott Brown of Wrentham.

There was a column yesterday in the Metrowest Daily News talking about the possibility of a special election for Kennedy's seat, and the only candidates mentioned on the GOP side were Baker and Connaughton. I guess that says all you need to know about the Mass GOP bench: one state senator and two people who have never held elective office.

On social issues, all of the candidates for Governor support Gay Marriage and are politically Pro-Choice, though Cahill is "personally pro-life. Cahill and Baker are the most fiscally conservative, with Cahill perhaps running to Baker's right on that and opposing the Massachusetts healthcare law.

And that's the key reason why I support him.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies