Will we see a Gay man or a Lesbian Woman as President First?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 05:22:43 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Will we see a Gay man or a Lesbian Woman as President First?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Will we see a Gay man or a Lesbian Woman as President First?
Gay Man

Lesbian Woman

A Homosexual will never become President.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 61

Author Topic: Will we see a Gay man or a Lesbian Woman as President First?  (Read 8884 times)
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 08, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

I say Gay man.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 08:54:37 PM »

#1 What makes you think we haven't had a gay man?  And I am not talking about the ridiculous rumors about Lincoln or Buchanan.

#2 Honestly, I think more people would be comfortable with a open Lesbian as C-in-C.  Fact is, when most people think "gay" they still think Queer Eye.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2009, 09:32:52 PM »

#1 What makes you think we haven't had a gay man?  And I am not talking about the ridiculous rumors about Lincoln or Buchanan.

#2 Honestly, I think more people would be comfortable with a open Lesbian as C-in-C.  Fact is, when most people think "gay" they still think Queer Eye.

Sorry, probably should have said "openly gay".
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2009, 10:45:46 PM »

What makes you think we haven't had a lesbian? I mean, there are tons of theories out there about "Pope Joan". Maybe there was a President who was secretly female, too. William Howard Taft had very pendulous breasts.

(Editor's note: Yes, I know "Pope Joan" is just a silly fringe theory. Taking this post orally or seriously could be harmful to your health.)
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 01:15:49 AM »

Gay Man
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 05:15:29 AM »

A gay man, because a lesbian women would be twice a discriminated group and would therefore have twice less chances. Though I'm sure that one day we will also have a lesbian President.
HAnnA MArin County
semocrat08
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 07:41:50 AM »

I'm going to say we'd have a lesbian for President before we would a gay man, and this is coming from someone who represents the latter. Reason I say so is because it's a depressingly masculine society we live in and there seems to be a double standard applied to gay men vs. lesbians; what I mean is that society seems more accepting of lesbians because let's face it, it's basically every straight man's fantasy to see two girls getting it on, but the idea of two guys doing the same is viewed as "gross" and "disgusting" and is still pretty taboo.

Furthermore, we know from Hillary's historic campaign that "if we can blast 50 women into space, we will someday launch a woman into the White House." Sad It's just a matter of when the first female will shatter that highest, hardest glass ceiling, but when she does, it will make it easier for a lesbian to become President. Most straight guys I know are pretty uncomfortable around gay guys but are more than okay being around lesbians; at the same time, straight women led by Kathy Griffin do love their gay guys but probably feel a little weirded out being around lesbians. While females are the majority in this country, I really doubt that it will be a lesbian who shatters the glass ceiling and becomes the first female President so after women have succeeded in achieving that milestone, they may not feel nearly as motivated to vote for a candidate simply because she's a woman. Obviously, right now, a gay man has the upper hand simply because of his gender and the fact that we haven't had a woman as President, but I do think that in 2016 (unless for some gift from God that Hillary challenges Obama in the 2012 Democratic Primaries and wins and then goes on to thump Huckabee or Romney or Bailin' Palin in the general election) we will see a woman receive the Democratic nomination and when that day finally comes that we shatter that glass ceiling, lesbians will gain the upper hand in becoming President.

I guess it's a question of do voters want a President who will make the White House lawn look nice or a President who will give the inside of the White House a facelift, so to speak. Tongue
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 07:52:47 AM »

Well, the world's first openly LBGT leader of recent times is a lesbian, so I'm voting lesbian.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 09:18:49 AM »

Considering Christians are 75% of the country, the chances of a gay being elected are pretty damn slim.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2009, 09:19:53 AM »

Considering Christians are 75% of the country, the chances of a gay being elected are pretty damn slim.

The general trend is towards atheism, so that won't be the case for long.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2009, 10:14:41 AM »

Proof?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2009, 10:17:48 AM »

Proof?

A study done by the Graduate Center of the City University of New York found that the percentage of the population that describes itself as “nonreligious” more than doubled from 1990 to 2001, from 14.3 million to 29.4 million people. The only other group to show growth was Muslims. . .
A study by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life found that 16 percent of Americans (about 35 million) consider themselves “unaffiliated” — a category that includes “unaffiliated believers,” “secularists” and atheists/agnostics.
The latter terms — atheists and agnostics — are lumped together, says Green, because they share so many similarities. But there is a subtle difference: Atheists forthrightly affirm that there is no God; agnostics simply say as humans we can never know. Together, they constitute about 3 percent of the American population.

http://www.intheagora.com/archives/2006/03/atheism_is_the_fastest_growing_religious_identity_in_america/
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2009, 10:24:21 AM »

Now suppose the Lesbian nominee had a Lesbian running mate...and both were hot as hell?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2009, 10:26:10 AM »

Now suppose the Lesbian nominee had a Lesbian running mate...and both were hot as hell?

I don't know how the public would react to that.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2009, 10:31:52 AM »

The first openly homosexual world leader is female (Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir), for what that's worth. I think I'm right with the "first" there, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2009, 10:32:19 AM »

Tongue Cheesy
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2009, 10:33:42 AM »

The first openly homosexual world leader is female (Jóhanna Sigurðardóttir), for what that's worth. I think I'm right with the "first" there, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

That is to whom I was referring.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2009, 03:46:13 PM »

I don't know how the public would react to that.

With national wood.  At least 50% of the public.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 03:52:07 PM »

That is to whom I was referring.

Yes. What was refreshing is how little fuss was made about it. There will have been others before, but none so open (The 'Grocer' for one jumps to mind)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 06:13:40 PM »

Neither.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2009, 09:54:20 AM »

Iceland is too civilized a country (its consumption of books per capita is the highest in the world) to serve as a model for the US.

OK, maybe it's the climate, but Wasilla, Alaska is almost due west of Iceland, and the former Governor isn't known for heavy reading. 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »

If we already haven't had a gay man, a gay man.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2009, 10:39:04 AM »

If we already haven't had a gay man, a gay man.

James Buchanan was probably gay, though he wasn't open, nor could he have been at the time. The first openly LGBT president will probably be a lesbian though, as lesbian women are more accepted by society than gay men are, and a lesbian is probably more likely to be seen as a tough, strong leader than a gay man.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2009, 12:57:30 PM »

Chill guys, I'm working on it.
War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2009, 01:05:55 PM »

I'm going to say a Homosexual will never be elected president unless they are in the closet. They would not be able to win in the Democratic Primary with so many Latinos and Blacks participating, unless it is in some odd futuristic world we can't imagine.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies