NDP name change?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:50:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  NDP name change?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: NDP name change?  (Read 7372 times)
cp
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2009, 05:22:24 PM »
« edited: August 09, 2009, 05:24:23 PM by cp »

I didn't really see the point of this name change business. It's the most superficial move the NDP could have made. In a way, I'm not inclined to criticize it: the less NDP presence in Canada the better, as far as I'm concerned!

But I still wonder what the motivations behind it are. Surely the NDP diehards don't think that their anaemic polling and lack of media attention are because of their name. Renewing a political party is an agonizing, contemplative ordeal that usually *ends* with a name change rather than beginning with it. It takes a controversial leader (or proposal) that leads to stark reflection and examination of the party's principles and objectives. The name change doesn't come close to doing this, nor do any of the proposals on the rest of the docket at the convention. Basically, I think the NDP is taking the easy way out and the only ones who will benefit are the Liberals.
deansherratt
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »

I do agree that Progressive party won't work. I was never impressed about that party in any event. I recall one of its MPs failed to honour his pairing with an absent Conservative MP...the Government fell by one vote.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2009, 08:48:31 PM »

There's actually a much more substantive issue than the name coming up at the convention, which is a proposal to split the federal and provincial wings like the other parties do. Right now the only way to join the federal NDP (unless you live in Quebec) is to become a member of your provincial party (and you can't be a member of the provincial party without also joining the federal one). The financing is also kind of confused, with the provincial parties giving a bunch of money to the federal one from their membership fees.

It might cause a bit of confusion initially for members who are used to just renewing one membership, but it's probably better in the long run to have the federal party independently financed. There's also a basic freedom-of-association issue for those who support one level of NDP but not the other.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2009, 09:33:24 PM »

There's actually a much more substantive issue than the name coming up at the convention, which is a proposal to split the federal and provincial wings like the other parties do. Right now the only way to join the federal NDP (unless you live in Quebec) is to become a member of your provincial party (and you can't be a member of the provincial party without also joining the federal one). The financing is also kind of confused, with the provincial parties giving a bunch of money to the federal one from their membership fees.

It might cause a bit of confusion initially for members who are used to just renewing one membership, but it's probably better in the long run to have the federal party independently financed. There's also a basic freedom-of-association issue for those who support one level of NDP but not the other.

I will oppose this. It's bad enough we don't have a party in Quebec anymore.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2009, 09:58:42 PM »

Each time you had an NDP branch in Quebec, you expelled it because the branch was for Quebec independance. Almost all leftists are for Quebec independance. I'm probably an exception.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2009, 10:18:26 PM »

Each time you had an NDP branch in Quebec, you expelled it because the branch was for Quebec independance. Almost all leftists are for Quebec independance. I'm probably an exception.

I guess a leftist federalist in Quebec is as rare as a leftist unionist in Northern Ireland. Tongue
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2009, 11:56:32 PM »

How about renaming the NDP the Canadian Labour Party?

I always found it odd that as one of the prime members of the British Commonwealth that Canada's social democratic party doesn't call it's self Labour.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2009, 07:30:16 AM »

I always found it odd that as one of the prime members of the British Commonwealth that Canada's social democratic party doesn't call it's self Labour.

It's probably related to the fact that they don't play cricket in Canada.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2009, 11:58:50 AM »

They do!

Well enough to win against Bangladesh, at least.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2009, 04:16:16 PM »

They do!

Well enough to win against Bangladesh, at least.

Indeed, there's always a bunch out by Rideau Hall playing on the grounds there.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2009, 01:00:22 PM »

Yeah, I recently noticed some adult subcontinentals playing cricket on the football grounds off Sondershausenstraße on the Friedrich Ebert Estate (southwest corner of the Gallus).
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2009, 03:24:28 PM »

No one plays cricket in northern Ontario. Smiley Actually, I'm the only person here with internet service.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2009, 04:20:19 PM »

No one plays cricket in northern Ontario. Smiley Actually, I'm the only person here with internet service.

lol
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2009, 07:12:57 PM »

Just a thought; if they do become the DP, it'll be the PD in Quebec. Now, if Quebecois slang is the same as in France then there's a slight problem there.
the506
Canada

« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »

There's a CP article about that tonight....

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jYdQNz4hiozhPV5lV4xYCoP7i3FQ

NDPers now have no right to make fun of CCRAP anymore.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2009, 07:36:00 PM »

NDPers now have no right to make fun of CCRAP anymore.

Yes, they do. If they actually change it, then they won't.
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »

One of the leaders of the NPDQ was Paul Rose...
Verily
Cuivienen
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.81, S: -6.78

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2009, 11:05:23 PM »

The change has substantial support:

All Canadians:
Favor: 45%
Oppose: 20%

NDP voters:
Favor: 59%
Oppose: 23%

(Note that the sample is 1,001 adults, so the NDP subsample should have a big MoE.)

http://www.angus-reid.com/polls/view/34023/ndpers_would_welcome_name_change
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2009, 11:30:51 PM »

If only the actual party can get the support of 45% of Canadians.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2009, 09:49:38 AM »

It appears the convention has ended (in the traditional NDP obsessed-with-Roberts-Rules-of-Order-to-the-point-of-dysfunction fashion) without the name change resolution being discussed, since too many other motions took too much time.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2009, 11:15:20 AM »

lol
Hash
Hashemite
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2009, 01:02:36 PM »

rofl
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2009, 07:53:17 PM »

Hello all from Nova Scotia!

I'm on my aunt's computer, which I've been trying to avoid, but now that the convention is done, I'm somewhat bored, so I've been lured here.

Anyways, I supported the name change, but unfortunately it never got discussed. Word is the powers that be in the party were attempting to filibuster it. We had an hour allotted time on the Sunday to discuss internal party resolutions. We spent 50 minutes on a 7 page constitutional amendment. It took maybe 20 minutes to read the darn thing to everyone, which some wanted to not do because it was so long. Then we divided it up by motion, and dealt with each motion seperately. The vote on the name change was 5th on the list, so there was no way we were getting to it. Also, the then President of the Party who was chairing the votes (Anne McGrath) was (according to some) deliberately making mistakes so people would question her and delay the process.

Anyways, judging by the number of people wearing "N" buttons, the support for the name change just wasn't there.

As for those poll results, I must say they are quite interesting. It re-affirms my support for a name change.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies