American average political matrix
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:30:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  American average political matrix
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: American average political matrix  (Read 2934 times)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 06, 2009, 06:43:33 AM »

I think it could be interesting to try to give the country's average political matrix. Also, I tried to make the test giving the answer I think the median american would give. Here are the answers I gave :

Quest #Av Ans
1A
2D
3A
4A
5D
6A
7A
8A
9D
10D
11A
12A
13D
14D
15SD
16D
17D
18A
19D
20SA
21D
22D
23SD
24A
25D
26D
27D

Legend :
- SA : Strongly agree
- A : Agree
- D : Disagree
- SD : Strongly disagree
- Glow : Very important issue

I hope my answers were not ideologically biaised, tell me what you think about it.

The result we get with these answers is :
- Economic : +1.42
- Social : +2.96

Your score pegs you as economically centre-capitalist and socially centre-authoritarian.

Centre-capitalists often support free trade and low taxes, but take pragmatic stances on economic issues, supporting what they see as the best balance between encouraging business and maintaining free trade.

Social centre-authoritarians generally have moderate social views, with a slight lean toward government intervention. They may have moderate cultural and religious views, but on the whole believe that the government should assure that society should stay moral.

Do you think these results correspond to the American society. Discuss and do you own American PM if you disagree. Wink
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 11:57:27 AM »

Intresting. That seems about right.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 12:27:58 PM »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

Thanks. I'm not surprised to see a quite conservative average PM.

Would be interesting to see it for other countries.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 06:10:03 PM »

Yeah. That would be about an average PM of +2 of 10% to the right of dead center. About a third of the U.S. are conservative and about a fifth are liberal. Those numbers have been more or less the same since the 1960s (according to the Harris poll).

In all, I think that +3 in this country would make you a conservative and -3 would make you a liberal. That being, this country is probably center-right, though there are changes on the horizon- this is what I see-

War on Want
Evilmexicandictator
Junior Chimp
Uzbekistan

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -8.00

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:27:19 PM »

Economic score: -0.39
Social score: +4.35

Your score pegs you as economically centrist and socially moderately authoritarian.

Economic centrists generally support economic policy that they see as fit for specific situations, although they may have different views relating to taxes and regulation.

Moderate social authoritarians typically support social controls meant to encourage moral behaviour and an organised society, although they may have some moderate or libertarian positions.

I think this fits good. I think Americans are generally protectionist and moderatley socially conservative as a whole.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:00:47 PM »

Going off the polling results from http://www.pollingreport.com/ I get the following:

Economic score: -2.45
Social score: +2.96
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:49:38 PM »

Your score pegs you as economically centrist and socially moderately authoritarian.

Economic centrists generally support economic policy that they see as fit for specific situations, although they may have different views relating to taxes and regulation.

Moderate social authoritarians typically support social controls meant to encourage moral behaviour and an organised society, although they may have some moderate or libertarian positions.

I think this fits good. I think Americans are generally protectionist and moderatley socially conservative as a whole.

Yeah. It's kinda weird. Outside of abortion, people are pretty nationalistic on social issues. I hope that's changing. It appears that the devide on abortion is here to stay and will not budge. On the other hand, it appears that other issues are beginning finally move. The kids, though no different than their parents or grand-parents on abortion (tending to informally poll more pro-life, but less likely to vote in favor of abortion restrictions- see S.D. Ref. 9 2008.) are beginning to come around on marijuana and gays. Prostitution will probably have to wait another 20 years before that issue sees any life...and I hope that hard drugs stay out of the fray as much as possible.  So, there you have it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 04:18:25 AM »

Yeah. It's kinda weird. Outside of abortion, people are pretty nationalistic on social issues. I hope that's changing. It appears that the devide on abortion is here to stay and will not budge. On the other hand, it appears that other issues are beginning finally move. The kids, though no different than their parents or grand-parents on abortion (tending to informally poll more pro-life, but less likely to vote in favor of abortion restrictions- see S.D. Ref. 9 2008.) are beginning to come around on marijuana and gays. Prostitution will probably have to wait another 20 years before that issue sees any life...and I hope that hard drugs stay out of the fray as much as possible.  So, there you have it.

Agreed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 04:21:37 AM »

That score seems about right. Maybe a point further left on economics.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 04:23:50 AM »

To say that a country is "center right" is just short of meaningless.  How does one define where the ideological center is?  PM can define their own center but it doesn't have any absolute meaning.  "Right" and "left" only work in a relative sense.  Say, by defining the median voter in the US as being at the ideological center (in which case the US is centrist by definition) or by defining the "median voter" in the whole Western world as centrist, in which case the US is to the right.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:38 AM »

Just for fun, I do the same test for France, and we'll see what happens. Tongue

Quest #Av Ans
1SA
2A
3D
4SA
5A
6N
7D
8D
9SD
10A
11SA
12A
13D
14A
15SD
16SD
17SD
18D
19SA
20D
21SD
22A
23SD
24D
25D
26D
27SA

Legend :
- SA : Strongly agree
- A : Agree
- D : Disagree
- SD : Strongly disagree
- Glow : Very important issue

The result we get with these answers is :
- Economic : -4.39
- Social : -1.74

Your score pegs you as economically moderately leftist and socially centre-libertarian.

Moderate economic leftists generally support regulation of free trade and business to assure that workers are fairly treated and prices remain stable.

Social centre-libertarians generally have moderate social views, with a slight lean toward avoiding government intervention. However, they support government intervention in matters that they see as threats to society.

Also, I think this PM is based on American politics and is difficultly appliable to other countries. But still, we are a leftist country ! Tongue
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2009, 08:07:24 AM »
« Edited: August 07, 2009, 08:18:36 AM by Independência ou Morte! »

Perhaps so. But maybe neutral would be a more accurate answer since it's a US issue and I guess most French people don't know much about the PATRIOT act. Though applied in France, it would be a SA, o/c.

Agree, though maybe A for 4.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Agreed.

Agreed, though rather unsure on 15 (maybe only 'D')

Agreed.

Agreed. Maybe 'strongly disagree' on 25.

So, yeah, I agree.

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2009, 08:18:53 AM »

Canadian estimate:

Economic score: -2.71
Social score: -4.00

Your score pegs you as economically centre-leftist and socially moderately libertarian.

Economic centre-leftists typically support above average controls on free trade, raising or maintaining the current tax levels, but still support free trade.

Moderate social libertarians generally favour a hands-off approach to social legislation. They may believe that the government has no right to enforce morals, but may support certain controls on individual rights to avoid crime, drug use, or similar social ills.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2009, 09:39:50 AM »

Good remarks. You are probably right on poor countries and on Affirmative Action, since it's considered an anti-equality measure.

Canadian estimate:

Economic score: -2.71
Social score: -4.00

Your score pegs you as economically centre-leftist and socially moderately libertarian.

Economic centre-leftists typically support above average controls on free trade, raising or maintaining the current tax levels, but still support free trade.

Moderate social libertarians generally favour a hands-off approach to social legislation. They may believe that the government has no right to enforce morals, but may support certain controls on individual rights to avoid crime, drug use, or similar social ills.

Interesting. Also, Canada is more socially progressive than France but less so economically...
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2009, 10:31:48 PM »

For Israel I estimate, with no chance of this being accurate, a PM Score average of :

Social : +3.00ish
Economic : -0.00ish
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 09:43:08 AM »

For Israel I estimate, with no chance of this being accurate, a PM Score average of :

Social : +3.00ish
Economic : -0.00ish

Quite moderate on economics... I guess that during Mapai domination's period, it was far mor leftist.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies