1968: The Rise of George Wallace and the South (Lahbas, Historico, Lt. Barnes)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 12:54:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: The Rise of George Wallace and the South (Lahbas, Historico, Lt. Barnes)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: 1968: The Rise of George Wallace and the South (Lahbas, Historico, Lt. Barnes)  (Read 46432 times)
big bad fab
filliatre
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2009, 05:39:06 AM »

A very suspenseful TL: I like it !
And I hope it will keep on in 1969 and afterwards... Wink
Historico
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 08:52:51 AM »

Keep this timeline coming Lahbas
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 10:16:19 PM »

Reagan Enters The Ring!

California Governor Ronald Reagan, following several days of debate, has recently declared his canidacy for the Republican nomination, and entered his name upon the primary ballots. In a press conference last night, Reagan explained his reasoning:

"This is a great country.....of both freedom and honor......and the path any of the other major canidates lead it down will ensure it's destruction.....either militarily....or economically. I am running.....to make sure that America remains strong and firm against its enemies.....while ensuring that tyranny does not leak through our borders. The Great Society......the largest drain on our budget I have ever seen....has failed to end poverty in America as we know it. I know this.....you know this.......and the many who still remain unemployed....hungry......and homeless know this. I am running for President.....to ensure that brighter days come for the United States of America."

A massive draft movement had developed among Republican Conservatives following Governor Romney's forced eviction from the race by the Supreme Court. Political experts claim, however, that Reagan's hopes of winning the nomination are small, given that the party establishment fears he will be connected with disaster canidate Barry Goldwater, who had lost in a landslide election, four years earlier. When asked about this, Reagan merely waved his hand, and said with a smile:

"The days of the establishment are ending, and it is the people's right on who to nominate. If I thought the establishment were really making the final decision without the public's opinion having an effect, then I wouldn't be running."

- San Francisco Chronicle, March 7th 1968

Saigon Secured

Reports out of Vietnam now show that Communist forces have finally been evicted from Saigon, a major traget in the Tet Offensiv by both Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces. Despite the United States and the South Vietnamese considering the battle a considerable and important victory, many here at home, previously being staunch hawks, are now beginning to question the war. Still, a majority of the information out of Saigon is being kept quiet by the American military.

- New York Times, March 8th 1968

Kennedy Endorse McCarthy!

Despite hints that he would enter the race for the Democratic nomination, Senator Robert Francis Kennedy of New York has endorsed Eugene McCarthy. In a speech to at a pro-McCarthy rally in Wisconsion, Kennedy explained:

"Now....I realize that quite a few of me wanted me to jump into the race......including other politicians and reporters.....who said that it was inevitable. However.....by thinking it over......I find that I cannot divide and already shaky coalition that is ready to topple th administration that has failed us both here at home......and overseas. I want this senseless war to end as much as all of you......and right now......McCarthy is the only one supporting an immdeiate pullout. I would say the math favors him for a victory both at the convention.....and in November. When those results finish rolling in.....and Cronkite annouces his victory......I will be gald to call him my fellow American.....my friend....and my President."

Robert Kennedy is also scheduled to make a joint appearance with Eugene McCarthy tommorow in Concord, New Hampshire.

- New York Times, March 9th 1968

New Hampshire Primaries To Be Held Tommorow!

As the first primaries of the election season are to be held tommorow, new Gallup Polls have been released by Gallup regarding the race, with some shocking results. Eugene McCarthy, nationally, has tied with President Johnson in the polls, while having a significant lead in New Hampshire, and the upcoming Wisconsion primary. The Republican field is just as confusing, with Nelson Rockefeller maintaining his frontrunner status, though by a narrow margin, due to a transfer of some former Romney supporters to recently declared runner, Governor Ronald Reagan of California. Richard Nixon has failed to expand far from his intial base, which had been expected to occur following the withdrawal of George Romney. Polling among the moderates suggests that Nixon, through his attempt to drive Romney out of the race, had alienated almost all of them, with a bare 2% actually switching over to Nixon for good, while many others are leaning.  For those of you who read this in New Hamoshire, remeber to vote, March 12th.

- Boston Globe, March 11th 1968

Gallup Polling of Registered Democrats:New Hampshire

Lyndon Johnson                      42%
Eugene McCarthy                    51%
Undecided                               7%

Gallup Polling of Registered Democrats:National

Lyndon Johnson                      43%
Eugene McCarthy                    43%
Undecided                               14%

Gallup Polling of Registered Republicans:New Hampshire

Nelson Rockefeller                      33%
Richard Nixon                             27%
Ronald Reagan                           24%
Undecided                                  16%

Gallup Polling of Registered Republicans:National

Nelson Rockefeller                      31%
Richard Nixon                              29%
Ronald Reagan                           26%
Undecided                                  14%
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2009, 06:20:25 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 08:52:17 PM by Lahbas »

"Analysts are reporting to us now......and are.......projecting that Eugene McCarthy has won! McCarthy has defeated sitting President Lyndon Johnson in New Hampshire. This victory had been expected......but from the information we are getting.......not by the current margin.
The Republicans are having even more trouble.......as it is now eleven thirty eight.......and the race is still too close to call. The fight being between Richard Nixon and Nelson Rockefeller.....analysts have told us it is likely that the race may not be called until tommorow."

- Frank McGee, NBC News, March 12th 1968

New Hampshire Democratic Primary : Eugene McCarthy Victorious

Eugene McCarthy          56.77%         16 Delegates
Lyndon Johnson            42.13%         10 Delegates
Others                           1.10%             0 Delegates

New Hampshire Republican Primary Called, Rockefeller Victorious

In a very narrow victory, New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller has managed to edge out Richard Nixon to win New Hampshire's eight delegates, and achieve official frontrunner status. Though Rockefeller originally was ahead by a good five points according to polls, with most of the undecided voters going to either Reagan or Nixon, and Rockefeller himself losing part of his base, that lead evaporated. Though Reagan was quickly discounted, the fight was a tug-of-war between Nixon and Rockefeller, with the state going back and forth throughout the night and into the morning. It was not until 3:56 this morning that the race was called, with Nelson Rockefeller victorious. Rockefeller himself spoke about the night in an interview:

"To be honset........I thought I was going to lose. In the days before the primary.......especially when looking at the polls......I was confident that New Hampshire was mine. As soon as the tickers began giving the numbers....however......I knew something had gone wrong. Even now....I am not sure what it was. Anyway.......that was one of the most stressful nights I have ever had........hearing the state going back an forth between me and Nixon. At one point....ha ha..........Henry Kissinger suggested I get some sleep.....just in case they finally called the race and I needed to give a speech. I told him..."Henry......how the hell am I supposed to sleep....when my bed is right next to the damn tickers?!" When the final call came in.......and it had been declared that I had won New Hampshire.......I finally was able to relax. I feel bad for Nixon....however. He loses an awful lot of close ones.

Nixon refused for a direct interview......but vowed in a speech during a rally shortly after the race was called that he would remain in the race........and that he would defeat both "that RINO from Long Island" and "the Hollywood Actor from California".

Ronald Reagan, in an interview with one of our reporters, mentioned that he did not expect to win New Hampshire, but had been suprised by the margin by which he had won. Most polls had him within the 20% range, while others put him in the upper teens, but by the time the counting was finished earlier this morning, he had barely carried over 30%.

The Wisconsion Primary is to be held on the 2nd of April.

- Washington Post, March 13th 1968

New Hampshire Republican Primary: Nelson Rockefeller Victorious

Nelson Rockefeller               34.49%        8 Delegates
Richard Nixon                      34.38%        0 Delegates
Ronald Reagan                    31.13%        0 Delegates

Democratic Primaries Map

Republican Primaries Map

Lahbas
United States

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2009, 08:51:26 PM »

"Of those to whom much is given, much is asked. I cannot say and no man could say that no more will be asked of us.

Yet, I believe that now, no less than when the decade began, this generation of Americans is willing to "pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty."

Since those words were spoken by John F. Kennedy, the people of America have kept that compact with mankind's noblest cause.

And we shall continue to keep it.

Yet, I believe that we must always be mindful of this one thing, whatever the trials and the tests ahead. The ultimate strength of our country and our cause will lie not in powerful weapons or infinite resources or boundless wealth, but will lie in the unity of our people.

This I believe very deeply.

Throughout my entire public career I have followed the personal philosophy that I am a free man, an American, a public servant, and a member of my party, in that order always and only.

For 37 years in the service of our Nation, first as a Congressman, as a Senator, and as Vice President, and now as your President, I have put the unity of the people first. I have put it ahead of any divisive partisanship.

And in these times as in times before, it is true that a house divided against itself by the spirit of faction, of party, of region, of religion, of race, is a house that cannot stand.

There is division in the American house now. There is divisiveness among us all tonight. And holding the trust that is mine, as President of all the people, I cannot disregard the peril to the progress of the American people and the hope and the prospect of peace for all peoples.

So, I would ask all Americans, whatever their personal interests or concern, to guard against divisiveness and all its ugly consequences.

Fifty-two months and 10 days ago, in a moment of tragedy and trauma, the duties of this office fell upon me. I asked then for your help and God's, that we might continue America on its course, binding up our wounds, healing our history, moving forward in new unity, to clear the American agenda and to keep the American commitment for all of our people.

United we have kept that commitment. United we have enlarged that commitment.

Through all time to come, I think America will be a stronger nation, a more just society, and a land of greater opportunity and fulfillment because of what we have all done together in these years of unparalleled achievement.

Our reward will come in the life of freedom, peace, and hope that our children will enjoy through ages ahead.

What we won when all of our people united just must not now be lost in suspicion, distrust, selfishness, and politics among any of our people.

Believing this as I do, I have concluded that I should not permit the Presidency to become involved in the partisan divisions that are developing in this political year.

With America's sons in the fields far away, with America's future under challenge right here at home, with our hopes and the world's hopes for peace in the balance every day, I do not believe that I should devote an hour or a day of my time to any personal partisan causes or to any duties other than the awesome duties of this office—the Presidency of your country.

Accordingly, I shall not seek, and I will not accept, the nomination of my party for another term as your President.

But let men everywhere know, however, that a strong, a confident, and a vigilant America stands ready tonight to seek an honorable peace—and stands ready tonight to defend an honored cause—whatever the price, whatever the burden, whatever the sacrifice that duty may require.

Thank you for listening. Good night and God bless all of you."

- Part of a speech by President Lyndon Baines Johnson, March 20th 1968
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2009, 09:30:20 PM »

Hubert Humphrey Enters The Race
As had been rumored for the last couple days, Hubert Humphrey finally declared his canidacy for the Democratic nomination. Here is a part of the speech that he gave in Washington last night:

"And now to the business of getting elected.  Let me share with you my thoughts: The people who voted for me for Vice-president have every right to expect a full four-year service in that office.  Thus in the weeks ahead, I want you to know that I shall place high priority up on that call to service and I shall continue to fulfill, to the best of my abilities, the duties of my office, and the responsibilities that have been placed upon me. I shall, as the president has, observe the actual party peace over politics.
I shall do my utmost to contribute to a broad reasoned national dialogue, devoted not to personalities, but to issues which man once benefit, educate, and inform the American people and the Democratic Party.  For 1968, this year, is not the year for frenzied or inflammatory rhetoric, nor is it the year for searching out, and seeking in finding scapegoats for our problems.  I submit that 1968 is the year for common sense to the American people.
It is time requiring every person, in every post, in every area of leadership, maturity, restraint, and responsibility. And it should be a time of great confidence, and above all, my friends, a time for public happiness in this nation.
So you may understand the ground rules of my effort, I will resist the temptation and successfully so, to deceive either the people or myself.  I have been too close to the Presidency to believe that the solutions to our complex and difficult problems are either simple or easy and I know the answers do not come quickly. But what concerns me is not just winning the nomination, but how it is to be won.
The man who wins the nomination must be able, first, to unite his party. The man who unites his party must be able, above all to unite and govern his nation. You can rest assured that I intend to fight hard and clean for the nomination.
But I do not, and will not, divide either my party or my country. In this great effort, I shall do my best and I ask no less of those who join me. 
For democracy is only what democracy gets done; we don’t get just what we stand for, we get what we earn and what we work for.  In the full knowledge of all the challenges that lie ahead within both the campaign and in the high office, I enter this course with a resolve and a determination to win.
And I shall make everything that I do on one conviction: that this country, we the people of these United States, working in a spirit of unity,  can overcome any obstacle, finally realizing the fullness of freedom, the prize of peace, in the happiness of human opportunity, both here and in the world.  My fellow Americans, we are the people of today; we are the people of tomorrow, it is to the future that we look and we aspire. And I found some words are told me exactly what I want to tell you; you’ll find them inscribed in the great literature. The future has several names: for the weak it is impossible, for the faint-hearted it is the unknown, for the thoughtful and the valiant it is ideals. The challenge is urgent, the test is large, the time is now -- on to victory!"

A major problem is that, partly because of the nearness of this declaration, many assume that President Lyndon Johnson pressured him to enter the race. Despite these rumors, the President has not, in fact, endorsed any of the canidates currently running. We'll wait and see if Humphrey can potray himself as being apart from President Lyndon Johnson.

- Chicago Tribune March 26th, 1968
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2009, 10:42:50 PM »
« Edited: August 16, 2009, 10:48:08 PM by Lahbas »

Rockefeller And McCarthy Win Wisconsin

Republican Governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller and Democratic Senator of Minnesota Eugene McCarthy have won the Wisconsin for their respective party primaries. Both had polled really well in the state, but Rockefeller explained why he had put an unexpectedly strong emphasis on Wisconsin:

"If New Hampshire had taught me one thing.....it was this. You cannot trust a poll no farther than the number of people that had been polled......and then some. I did not want a repeat of New Hampshire here in Wisconsin......and so I gave my heart to these people. Apparently....the hard work paid off."

Reagan again stated that he had not expected to win the primary:

"To be honest......I do not expect to win any of the upcoming primaries until May 7th. The current primaries dominate the liberal wing of the party.....while those like Indiana and Ohio are closer to my views. My Strong showing in Wisconsin show me.....however.....that I might not have to wait that long."

Nixon refused to comment on the primary, and there are reports that he may be getting ready to drop out of the race.

McCarthy, on the other hand, made an impassioned speech shortly after victory was declared that night:

"Tonight.........all of America watched and listened to the results out of Wisconsin....and we prevailed. America no longer wants an administration that continues to support a war that has no benefit to our people........even using deceit to make it appear as if we are close to victory. The American people want change....and I promise America.....that when I am President.........change......will.....come!"

- New York Times, April 3rd 1968

Wisconsin Democratic Primary : Eugene McCarthy Victorious

Eugene McCarthy                   62.49%
Hubert Humphrey                   36.12%
Others                                     1.39%

Delegates

Eugene McCarthy                    59

Wisconsin Republican Primary : Nelson Rockefeller Victorious

Nelson Rockefeller                  40.02%
Ronald Reagan                       32.56%
Richard Nixon                         27.42%

Delegates

Nelson Rockefeller                  30

Democratic Primaries Map

Republican Primaries Map

Historico
United States

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2009, 11:17:07 AM »

Let's go Rocky and Eugene lol
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2009, 01:55:35 PM »
« Edited: August 17, 2009, 01:57:31 PM by Lahbas »

Martin Luther King Is Slain in Memphis; A White Is Suspected; Johnson Urges Calm

Memphis, Friday, April 5 -- The Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., who preached nonviolence and racial brotherhood, was fatally shot here last night by a distant gunman who raced away and escaped.

Four thousand National Guard troops were ordered into Memphis by Gov. Buford Ellington after the 39-year-old Nobel Prize-winning civil rights leader died.

A curfew was imposed on the shocked city of 550,000 inhabitants, 40 per cent of whom are Negro.

But the police said the tragedy had been followed by incidents that included sporadic shooting, fires, bricks and bottles thrown at policemen, and looting that started in Negro districts and then spread over the city.

White Car Sought

Police Director Frank Holloman said the assassin might have been a white man who was "50 to 100 yards away in a flophouse."

Chief of Detectives W.P. Huston said a late model white Mustang was believed to have been the killer's getaway car. Its occupant was described as a bareheaded white man in his 30's, wearing a black suit and black tie.

The detective chief said the police had chased two cars near the motel where Dr. King was shot and had halted one that had two out-of-town men as occupants. The men were questioned but seemed to have nothing to do with the killing, he said.

Rifle Found Nearby

A high-powered 30.06-caliber rifle was found about a block from the scene of the shooting, on South Main Street. "We think it's the gun," Chief Huston said, reporting it would be turned over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

Dr. King was shot while he leaned over a second-floor railing outside his room at the Lorraine Motel. He was chatting with two friends just before starting for dinner.

One of the friends was a musician, and Dr. King had just asked him to play a Negro spiritual, "Precious Lord, Take My Hand," at a rally that was to have been held two hours later in support of striking Memphis sanitation men.

Paul Hess, assistant administrator at St. Joseph's Hospital, where Dr. King died despite emergency surgery, said the minister had "received a gunshot wound on the right side of the neck, at the root of the neck, a gaping wound."

"He was pronounced dead at 7:05 P.M. Central standard time (8:05 P.M. New York time) by staff doctors," Mr. Hess said. "They did everything humanly possible."

Dr. King's mourning associates sought to calm the people they met by recalling his messages of peace, but there was widespread concern by law enforcement officers here and elsewhere over potential reactions.

In a television broadcast after the curfew was ordered here, Mr. Holloman said, "rioting has broken out in parts of the city" and "looting is rampant."

Dr. King had come back to Memphis Wednesday morning to organize support once again for 1,300 sanitation workers who have been striking since Lincoln's Birthday. Just a week ago yesterday he led a march in the strikers' cause that ended in violence. A 16-year-old Negro was killed, 62 persons were injured and 200 were arrested.

Yesterday Dr. King had been in his second-floor room- Number 306- throughout the day. Just about 6 P.M. he emerged, wearing a silkish-looking black suit and white shirt.

Solomon Jones Jr., his driver, had been waiting to take him by car to the home of the Rev. Samuel Kyles of Memphis for dinner. Mr. Jones said later he had observed, "It's cold outside, put your topcoat on," and Dr. King had replied, "O.K., I will."

Two Men in Courtyard

Dr. King, an open-faced, genial man, leaned over a green iron railing to chat with an associate, Jesse Jackson, standing just below him in a courtyard parking lot:

"Do you know Ben?" Mr. Jackson asked, introducing Ben Branch of Chicago, a musician who was to play at the night's rally.

"Yes, that's my man!" Dr. King glowed.

The two men recalled Dr. King's asking for the playing of the spiritual. "I really want you to play that tonight," Dr. King said, enthusiastically.

The Rev. Ralph W. Abernathy, perhaps Dr. King's closest friend, was just about to come out of the motel room when the sudden loud noise burst out.

Dr. King toppled to the concrete second-floor walkway. Blood gushed from the right jaw and neck area. His necktie had been ripped off by the blast.

"He had just bent over," Mr. Jackson recalled later. "If he had been standing up, he wouldn't have been hit in the face."

Policemen 'All Over'

"When I turned around," Mr. Jackson went on, bitterly, "I saw police coming from everywhere. They said, 'where did it come from?' And I said, 'behind you.' The police were coming from where the shot came."

Mr. Branch asserted that the shot had come from "the hill on the other side of the street."
"When I looked up, the police and the sheriff's deputies were running all around,"
Mr. Branch declared.

"We didn't need to call the police," Mr. Jackson said. "They were here all over the place."
Mr. Kyles said Dr. King had stood in the open "about three minutes."

Mr. Jones, the driver, said that a squad car with four policemen in it drove down the street only moments before the gunshot. The police had been circulating throughout the motel area on precautionary patrols.

After the shot, Mr. Jones said, he saw a man "with something white on his face" creep away from a thicket across the street.

Someone rushed up with a towel to stem the flow of Dr. King's blood. Mr. Kyles said he put a blanket over Dr. King, but "I knew he was gone." He ran down the stairs and tried to telephone from the motel office for an ambulance.

Mr. Abernathy hurried up with a second larger towel.

Police With Helmets

Policemen were pouring into the motel area, carrying rifles and shotguns and wearing helmets.
But the King aides said it seemed to be 10 or 15 minutes before a Fire Department ambulance arrived.

Dr. King was apparently still living when he reached the St. Joseph's Hospital operating room for emergency surgery. He was borne in on a stretcher, the bloody towel over his head.

It was the same emergency room to which James H. Meredith, first Negro enrolled at the University of Mississippi, was taken after he was ambushed and shot in June, 1965, at Hernando, Miss., a few miles south of Memphis; Mr. Meredith was not seriously hurt.

Outside the emergency room some of Dr. King's aides waited in forlorn hope. One was Chauncey Eskridge, his legal adviser. He broke into sobs when Dr. King's death was announced.

"A man full of life, full of love, and he was shot," Mr. Eskridge said. "He had always lived with that expectation- but nobody ever expected it to happen."

But the Rev. Andrew Young, executive director of Dr. King's Southern Christian Leadership Conference, recalled there had been some talk Wednesday night about possible harm to Dr. King in Memphis.

Mr. Young recalled: "He said he had reached the pinnacle of fulfillment with his nonviolent movement, and these reports did not bother him."

Mr. Young believed that the fatal shot might have been fired from a passing car. "It sounded like a firecracker," he said.

In a nearby building, a newsman who had been watching a television program thought, however, that "it was a tremendous blast that sounded like a bomb."

There were perhaps 15 persons in the motel courtyard area when Dr. King was shot, all believed to be Negroes and Dr. King's associates.

Past the courtyard is a small empty swimming pool. Then comes Mulberry Street, a short street only three blocks away from storied Beale Street on the fringe of downtown Memphis.

Once Stabbed in Harlem

In his career Dr. King had suffered beatings and blows. Once- on Sept. 20, 1958- he was stabbed in a Harlem department store in New York by a Negro woman later adjudged insane.
That time he underwent a four-hour operation to remove a steel letter opener that had been plunged into his upper left chest. For a time he was critical list, but he told his wife, while in the hospital, "I don't hold any bitterness toward this woman."

In Memphis, Dr. King's chief associates met in his room after he died. They included Mr. Young, Mr. Abernathy, Mr. Jackson, the Rev. James Bevel and Hosea Williams.

They had to step across a drying pool of Dr. King's blood to enter. Someone had thrown a crumpled pack of cigarettes into the blood.

After 15 minutes they emerged. Mr. Jackson looked at the blood. He embraced Mr. Abernathy.

"Stand tall!" somebody exhorted.

"Murder! Murder!" Mr. Bevel groaned. "Doc said that's not the way."

"Doc" was what they often called Dr. King.

Then the murdered leader's aides said they would go on to the hall where tonight's rally was to have been held. They wanted to urge calm upon the mourners.

Some policemen sought to dissuade them.

But eventually the group did start out, with a police escort.

At the Federal Bureau of Investigation office here, Robert Jensen, special agent in charge, said the F.B.I. had entered the murder investigation at the request of Attorney General Ramsey Clark.

Last night Dr. King's body was taken to the Shelby County morgue, according to the police. They said it would be up to Dr. Derry Francisco, county medical examiner, to order further disposition.

- New York Times, April 5th 1968

Note: This is an actual newspaper article from the New York Times.
President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2009, 02:01:32 PM »

Well obviously since of course the title it wont happen but anyways, Rocky 1968!
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2009, 11:19:27 AM »
« Edited: August 22, 2009, 11:24:19 AM by Lahbas »

Rockefeller and McCarthy Take The Gold in Pennslyvania!

As predicted, bit New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, and Senator Eugene McCarthy of Minnesota have won their respective party primaries in the state of Pennslyvania. Polls had shown both canidates leading in the state by significant margins, though some pundits expected an upset by Ronald Reagan, who has recently made inroads with the parties moderates. Nixon, however, is said to have run out of steam, and has lost the lock over the nomination he only had a year before. Many cite the recent Nixon vs. Romney court case as having ironically been his downfall, but others claim that it is simply because his time to run has passed. Rockefeller commented on his victory:

"I am confident that the nomination is mine.........but it is best to not get to overconfident on having the lock. You must perfrom your best.......and that is not when you believe you can relax......and have the winds push you to the finish line. I now just hope that my luck keeps up."

California Governer Ronald Reagan himself expressed suprise at a second place finish:

"Pennsylvania is the state that is now giving me hope for my campaign.......just like Wisconsin did not to long ago. If I can come ahead of ole' Nixon in a liberal state.......then I have a fighting chance of winning."

Nixon refused to comment, with ever increasing signs that he may suspend his campaign sometime this week.

- Los Angeles Times, April 23rd 1968[/b]

Republican Pennsylvania Primary:Nelson Rockefeller Victorious

Results

Nelson Rockefeller                     38.69%
Ronald Reagan                          33.21%
Richard Nixon                             28.10%

Delegates

Nelson Rockefeller                      64

Democratic Pennsylvania Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious

Results

Eugene McCarthy                      63.42%
Hubert Humphrey                      33.97%
Others                                       2.61%

Delegates

Eugene McCarthy                      130

Richard Nixon Ends His Campaign For The Presidency!

Yesterday, during a press conference, Richard Nixon formally suspended his campaign for the presidency:

"I come before those of you gathered here today......and to America itself.......to declare that.......as of now........I am suspending my campaign for President until further notice. I thank those Americans......who supported both of my runs for the Presidency. Sadly it was not enough. Whoever it is that gets elected in November..................I will gladly work with them....in order to better this nation......and ensure its continued dominance.......as leader of the free world. This land of freedom....liberty.....and justice.......will never fall to the hell that is the Soviet Union.....or its communist proteges........and we as Americans will never stop...........until communism is vanquished forever.......and oppresed people's are liberated from a system they say brings "equality". Thank god....we were born in the country we have today. God bless us all tonight......and God bless the United States of America."

Reports of this suspected drop-out had been heard through leaks out of the Nixon campaign for some time, but none were taken that seriously, due to Nixon's precieved commitment to the race. Richard Nixon has so far refused to endorse either of the canidates; Conservative California Governor Ronald Reagan, or Liberal Governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller.

- Boston Herald, May 2nd 1968

Democratic Primaries Map

Republican Primaries Map

President Mitt
Giovanni
Samoa

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »

I'd expect Pennsylvania to be a little close between Humphrey and McCarthy, Humphrey would be better received their.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #37 on: August 24, 2009, 02:17:09 PM »

I'd expect Pennsylvania to be a little close between Humphrey and McCarthy, Humphrey would be better received their.
Humphrey is conducting a largely front-porch campaign, depending upon the caucus states. Also, McCarthy has the backing of the Kennedy War-Machine.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2009, 04:17:21 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2009, 04:30:31 PM by Lahbas »

Republican Primaries Divided; Democratic Primaries McCarthy Victor

Unexpectently, there is no clear winner for the May 7th primaries, held yesterday, on the Republican side. With the withdrawal of Richard Nixon, the race had now been up in the air between California Governor Ronald Reagan, and New York Governor Nelson Rockefeller, both within the considered extremes of their party policies. However, as yesterdays results now tell us, it appears that Ronald Reagan now has the momentum ahead of Rockefeller, in regards with the Republican base. His victory in Indiana by a comfortable margin, and his second place status in Ohio, put him in a position to upset Nelson Rockefeller as the new frontrunner. In a speech this morning in Indianapolis, Reagan said:

"Last night..........we showed Rockefeller that he is not going to run away with this nomination. I thank the people of Indiana for proving that my campaign.......is viable. We will fight to the convention if we have to.........and god-willing......we will triumph!"

On the Demoratic side, it was largely a clean for Senator Eugene McCarthy, who only lost the state of Ohio to favorite son canidate Senator Stephen Young.

"Last night...........America showed that change is demanded of its goverment. It wants this sensless war to end.............to not see its boys coming back in bags every day............to see the promises President Johnson made to it with regard to the Great Society.....come true. We will make the establishment tremble in fear...........and show them that the true political power doe not lie with politicians............but in the hands of the American people!"

- Washington Post, May 8th 1968

Republican Indiana Primary:Ronald Reagan Victorious!

Results

Ronald Reagan                    52.24%
Nelson Rockefeller               46.79%
Other                                    0.97%

Delegates

Ronald Reagan                    26 Delegates

Democratic Indiana Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results

Eugene McCarthy                55.39%
Roger Branigan                   36.82%
Hubert Humphrey                 6.78%
Other                                    1.01%

Delegates

Eugene McCarthy                63 Delegates

Republican Ohio Primary:James Rhodes Victorious!

Results

James Rhodes                 44.39%
Ronald Reagan                28.78%
Nelson Rockefeller           26.43%
Other                                0.4%

Delegates

James Rhodes                  58 Delegates

Democratic Ohio Primary:Stephen Young Victorious!

Results

Stephen Young               50.23%
Eugene McCarthy            29.97%
Hubert Humphrey           18.03%
Other                               1.77%

Delegates

Stephen Young               115 Delegates

Republican District of Columbia Primary:Nelson Rockefeller Victorious!

Results

Nelson Rockefeller                                 54.34%
Ronald Reagan                                      28.49%
Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. (Write-In)          11.84%
Other                                                      5.33%

Delegates

Nelson Rockefeller                                 9 Delegates

Democratic District of Columbia Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results

Eugene McCarthy                                   52.16%
Hubert Humphrey                                   45.30%
Other                                                       2.54%

Delegates

Eugene McCarthy                                   23 Delegates

Republican Primaries Map

Democratic Primaries Map

Lahbas
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

Comments?
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2009, 04:34:29 PM »

I really like where this is going, than you for continuing my old timeline! Smiley
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2009, 07:02:20 AM »

Good TL Smiley
Historico
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:41 AM »

Any chance Lahbas, that you could condense the primaries into one post, im not trying to nock your writing style or anything I just think the multiple maps are kinda unecessary and although their important, there not suspense grabbers. I would suggest doing like Ben or I write about the primaries; Tell us who won the states, Tell us Why and What percentage, and then move on to the next state. Cuz im very eager to get to the Convention's and the General Elections.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2009, 04:26:57 PM »

Any chance Lahbas, that you could condense the primaries into one post, im not trying to nock your writing style or anything I just think the multiple maps are kinda unecessary and although their important, there not suspense grabbers. I would suggest doing like Ben or I write about the primaries; Tell us who won the states, Tell us Why and What percentage, and then move on to the next state. Cuz im very eager to get to the Convention's and the General Elections.
There are only three updates left for the primaries. I am not sure if I should do the general election by the hour or not, though I am favoring that position.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2009, 04:28:38 PM »

I just realized that I missed the Massachusetts primary. Anyway, it is won by Rockefeller and McCarthy.
hcallega
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -3.90

« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2009, 05:46:29 PM »

This is going real good. I'm looking foward to seeing your take on the general.
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2009, 07:28:18 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2009, 07:35:09 PM by Lahbas »

"Professor......what are you doing?"
"What does it look like I am doing?! I jumping ahead in time. I want to see if this darned contraption works........though all the tests have been..........well...........problematic."
"But its not ready sir.....you said so yourself only last night!"
"Risks must taken to ensure the progress of science..........that I have also said to you many times. Goodbye Henry."
"Professor!"
(Wierd Sci-Fi speical effects as the machine travels through time. Some time later at a newspaper stand.....)
"Ah..........Professor Darell......what can I get you?"
"The latest issue of the Chicago Tribune.....if you have it."
"Here you go..............that will be one-fifty......have a good day Professor."
"You too Henry.......you too."
(Professor Darell proceeds to look through the Tribune, and stops to read the Politico Section)

Democratic Nebraska Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results
Eugene McCarthy                65.79%
Hubert Humphrey                28.53%
Other                                    5.68%

Delegates
Eugene McCarthy                30 Delegates

Republican Nebraska Primary:Ronald Reagan Victorious!

Results
Ronald Reagan                                      58.69%
Nelson Rockefeller                                 40.23%
Other                                                      1.08%

Delegates
Ronald Reagan                                 16 Delegates

Democratic Florida Primary:George Smathers Victorious!

Results
George Smathers                53.92%
Eugene McCarthy                39.27%
Hubert Humphrey                 3.49%
Other                                    3.32%

Delegates
George Smathers                63 Delegates

Democratic Oregon Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results
Eugene McCarthy                73.03%
Hubert Humphrey                21.74%
Other                                    5.23%

Delegates
Eugene McCarthy                35 Delegates

Republican Oregon Primary:Ronald Reagan Victorious!

Results
Ronald Reagan                                      50.45%
Nelson Rockefeller                                 48.91%
Other                                                      0.64%

Delegates
Ronald Reagan                                 18 Delegates

Democratic California Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results
Eugene McCarthy                57.19%
Thomas Lynch                     24.35%
Hubert Humphrey                12.53%
Other                                    5.93%

Delegates
Eugene McCarthy                174 Delegates

Republican California Primary:Ronald Reagan Victorious!

Results
Ronald Reagan                                      57.69%
Nelson Rockefeller                                 41.02%
Other                                                      1.29%
Delegates
Ronald Reagan                                 86 Delegates

Democratic New Jersey Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results
Eugene McCarthy                48.07%
Richard Hughes                   43.59%
Hubert Humphrey                 8.20%
Other                                    0.14%
Delegates
Eugene McCarthy                82 Delegates

Republican New Jersey Primary:Nelson Rockefeller Victorious!

Results
Nelson Rockefeller                                  58.69%
Ronald Reagan                                       40.23%
Other                                                      1.08%

Delegates
Nelson Rockefeller                                 40 Delegates

Democratic South Dakota Primary:Eugene McCarthy Victorious!

Results

Eugene McCarthy                82.41%
Hubert Humphrey                15.78%
Other                                    1.81%

Delegates
Eugene McCarthy                26 Delegates

Republican South Dakota Primary:Ronald Reagan Victorious!

Results
Ronald Reagan                                      63.13%
Nelson Rockefeller                                 34.25%
Other                                                      2.62%

Delegates
Ronald Reagan                                 14 Delegates

"Eugene McCarthy has just finished his victory speech in Los Angeles.......tonight after having won the California Primary against Califonria Attorney General Thomas Lynch........and Vice President Hubert Humphrey. Still.........wait...wait........there is some commotion going own out in the hall......."

Republican Primaries Map

Democratic Primaries Map

To Be Continued Later Tonight
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 09:29:33 PM »

Sorry, I won't be able ot update for a while. Came down with a bad cold, which might explain the beginning of the last post. Give me a day or two, and I'll continue.
Historico
United States

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:15 PM »

Oh God Not Gene, Chicago will be even nastier ITTL won't it lol Im just hoping now that despite the nomination being tied, that third time will prove to be the charm for Rocky. I hope you feel better Lahbas
Lahbas
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2009, 04:07:19 PM »

BUMP

Expect and update tommorow afternoon, possibly two.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies