Trying to figure out what party an ancestor was registered with?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:48:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Trying to figure out what party an ancestor was registered with?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trying to figure out what party an ancestor was registered with?  (Read 1797 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:14:29 PM »

Hey

I figured this site would be the best to ask, since you guys seem to know a lot about past elections, demographics, election results and whatnot--So I was curious--
Last year, we found my maternal grandfather's voter registration card. He's been gone a long time, having passed away in 1975. It said he was registered in October 1963 (in Kings County NYC), but didn't say to which party. I was hoping, out of curiosity to determine what party he might've been registered with. If you guys can't help, do you know of any way I can officially find out?

A little background--He was a first generation Italian-American, born here, his parents moved here before his birth. He joined the Army in 1939 and spent 7 years, and fought in Northern France in the Battle of the Bulge as well as D-Day. He later worked for the Post Office for around 11 years, and worked for the Pinkerton Detective Service (as a Security Guard); He often worked security guard jobs as a side job. My grandmother, his wife, voted for Kennedy in 1960 but is a hard core right wing Republican too--A fan of Rush Limbaugh. But they didn't agree on much.

He also never wanted his children--speficially his daughters--to join the military, as the military didn't ''treat women properly.''

What party then, would an Italian-American, WWII veteran, lower/middle class, blue collar male in NYC have likely been registered to in the 40s, 50s, 60s, to early 70s? The last Presidential election he could've voted in was in 1972.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:59:20 PM »

Almost certainly a Democrat.  Maybe the Liberal Party.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:39:12 PM »

Interesting scenario.  Well traditionally the Pinkertons were very anti labor and were used as spies and strike busters against the labor movement. This would lead one to believe that he was not too up on the democrats.  However, by the time he served they were out of that business and were pretty much used as bodyguards. Also just because you work somewhere doesnt mean you share that company's ethos.

I would disagree with the previous poster that he was automatically a democrat.  Italian Americans had a higher than white ethnic peer percentage of Republicans. LaGuardia for instance- while not your typical Republican or Italian for that matter.  Also throughout the period in question there were many Italian democrats who didnt really fit the mold of the modern party. There were many of the law and order type democrats who used the party as a tool for patronage and jobs (like everyone did).  By any chance do you know what part of Brooklyn he was from.  Bay Ridge and surrounding areas for instance had a pretty strong Republican party.  My Greatgrandmother was influential involved in the Republican party there until the late 1960's.  My G-Grandfather was also a post master there and a die hard Republican. My Grandmother, who was a marine in WWII, became a staunch liberal democrat. 
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:05:38 AM »
« Edited: November 12, 2009, 01:21:19 AM by ModerateDemocrat1990 »

Interesting scenario.  Well traditionally the Pinkertons were very anti labor and were used as spies and strike busters against the labor movement. This would lead one to believe that he was not too up on the democrats.  However, by the time he served they were out of that business and were pretty much used as bodyguards. Also just because you work somewhere doesnt mean you share that company's ethos.

I would disagree with the previous poster that he was automatically a democrat.  Italian Americans had a higher than white ethnic peer percentage of Republicans. LaGuardia for instance- while not your typical Republican or Italian for that matter.  Also throughout the period in question there were many Italian democrats who didnt really fit the mold of the modern party. There were many of the law and order type democrats who used the party as a tool for patronage and jobs (like everyone did).  By any chance do you know what part of Brooklyn he was from.  Bay Ridge and surrounding areas for instance had a pretty strong Republican party.  My Greatgrandmother was influential involved in the Republican party there until the late 1960's.  My G-Grandfather was also a post master there and a die hard Republican. My Grandmother, who was a marine in WWII, became a staunch liberal democrat.  

Yes, Bay Ridge. My grandpa lived in Bay Ridge from the '30s till he died in '75.

Funny that your G-Grandad was a Post Master--as my grandpa was a carrier with them. He worked at the Post Office probably from around 1955 to 1967, so more than likely actually 12 years; it was his main job. He always held two jobs--His main job with the Post Office and a side job--usually as a security guard or Chauffer.

He worked for the Pinkertons in the '60s--At the '64 World's Fair as a security guard. He worked other jobs previously--a grocery store employee in the '40s to early 50s, and as a Cab Driver in the early 50s. He also worked for a Lighting Company., in the late '50s (though who knows as what), and as a Chauffer at various points and in the early-mid 60s as a part time cook at a local Bay Ridge Luncheonette..

He was, at least as of 1958, a member of the American Legion. Its unknown if he was a member after '58, as we only have his membership card indicating he had paid his dues for 1958.

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »

For what it is worth, one reason Italian Americans tended to gravitate to the GOP more than might be expected beyond their cultural hostility to paying taxes (as a generalization), was that the Irish Americans had a lock on the East coast Dem party machines, and the Italians felt excluded so went elsewhere. That at least is what I have read.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 12:07:13 AM »

I have an ancestor who was a Bronx Republican. I wonder what he'd think of the current status of the Bronx Republican party. From the last election in NY-16:

Democrat 97%
Republican with ballot status and Muslim sounding name 3%
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 10:49:12 AM »

It helps if your ancestor names a child after a well-known political figure.  Such was the fate of poor McClellan Shafer, my first cousin four times removed Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies