2010 Senate Election in Arizona (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2010 Elections
  2010 Senate Election in Arizona (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2010 Senate Election in Arizona  (Read 11488 times)
Dan the Roman
liberalrepublican
United States

« on: August 15, 2009, 03:45:07 PM »

God, I hate the stupid "conservatives are leaving California" meme. It's almost as dumb as the "Masshole liberals are invading New Hampshire!" one. If people are leaving California, it's not because it's not conservative enough for them, it's cause the state is basically hanging on a thread and the state government is doing sh**t about it. And why would they leave one state with a sh**tty housing market to a state with a crappier one?
Its not about the housing market its about the cost of living.  If you have a state like California that taxes practically everything, then businesses move elsewhere.  Businesses have been moving to the friendliest states - as have jobs (though right now everyone is losing jobs).  They move to the states that are the most fertile for job growth.  And these people have been leaving California for the last 10 years.

Badger, its likely (I wont concede), had McCain not been on the ticket Arizona would have been closer - say like +3-5 for the Republican ticket.  There were other candidates (Romney for example) who had strong mormon support - and Chandler and Mesa, two of our biggest cities have the second biggest mormon population in the country.

Have you ever been to Arizona before?  Lived here?  I don't think you have.  I have been to Ohio many times before and I don't go around making up crazy trends going on in Ohio.  I don't say that there is this massive conservative movement going on there.  Why? Because I don't know the state.  I have lived here for 12 years, studied its politics for just about as long, know every major city, sector and how they vote.  Your assumption that AZ is just going liberal is based on how its such a cool place to live and how the west is so cool and because of NV, CO and NM.  I know that type.  It's the type that says well if its a pretty state it has to go liberal, that there has to be this wave of "open-minded" liberals just waiting at the doorstep to change the state to its "rightful" liberal heritage.  You aren't focusing on whats going on on the ground, migration patterns or the fact that democrats hardly win here at all (WAVE elections or incompetent candidates).  Nor do you look at how our propositions come out or the fact that we have republicans holding office in a vast majority of elected positions.

Like I alluded to before, Tucson would have to surpass Phoenix in population (something that will never happen) before this state ever starts becoming a true swing state.

All is fine, but I am curious on the Gay Marriage Amendment. Not necessarily the first one that lost, but even the second one that one which passed by a margin(56%) more consistent with Wisconsin(57%) and Oregon(57%) than with a state like Ohio(62%). It could be that its polarized, but think there is at least libertarian element if not a socially liberal one.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies