Holmes County, Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:29:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Holmes County, Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Holmes County, Florida  (Read 6626 times)
DariusNJ

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 06:39:25 PM »

By the way, what counties were George Wallace's best in the 68 election?

Geneva County, Alabama with 91.7%. Crappy racist sh**thole in southern Alabama.

And I suppose Macon County, Alabama is much better? 86% for Obama last year.

Yes because voting 86% for Obama for a county that has been staunchly Democratic for some time is the same as a county going for 90% for a candidate running on a racist platform......

Yes probably because it has an 84.64% black population, which race has always been overwhelmingly, blindingly democratic.  97% for Obama?  That's not biased at all.

Once the GOP decided to play to the "angry white southener" crowd and used the "Southern Strategy" it pretty much demolished any chance of them getting anything other than a sliver of the African American vote.  When LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act he stated the Democrats would lose the south for a generation as a result.   And with a few exceptions that is what basically happened, and the GOP heavily targeted white southeners angry over Civil Rights because of it.  As a result they angered African Americans and they became staunchly Democratic and have been since.  The fact that the GOP does absolutely nothing to try and appeal to the African American vote and has become more of the party of the "angry white southener" does more harm than good.  

Regardless its a silly and stupid comparison between Geneva 1960 to Macon 2008.  Only one of them voted for a candidate who ran on a racist platform, and well that wasn't Macon....

Nearly all blacks have conservative core values, they're just stuck in Democratic bodies because they want to stick with the general conformity that all blacks are democratic for no good reason.

Your right that blacks are center right on most social issues. Insulting the fact that they vote heavily Democratic is not going to help your party gain any of their votes, however.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:40 PM »

By the way, what counties were George Wallace's best in the 68 election?

Geneva County, Alabama with 91.7%. Crappy racist sh**thole in southern Alabama.

And I suppose Macon County, Alabama is much better? 86% for Obama last year.

Yes because voting 86% for Obama for a county that has been staunchly Democratic for some time is the same as a county going for 90% for a candidate running on a racist platform......

Yes probably because it has an 84.64% black population, which race has always been overwhelmingly, blindingly democratic.  97% for Obama?  That's not biased at all.

Once the GOP decided to play to the "angry white southener" crowd and used the "Southern Strategy" it pretty much demolished any chance of them getting anything other than a sliver of the African American vote.  When LBJ signed the Civil Rights Act he stated the Democrats would lose the south for a generation as a result.   And with a few exceptions that is what basically happened, and the GOP heavily targeted white southeners angry over Civil Rights because of it.  As a result they angered African Americans and they became staunchly Democratic and have been since.  The fact that the GOP does absolutely nothing to try and appeal to the African American vote and has become more of the party of the "angry white southener" does more harm than good.  

Regardless its a silly and stupid comparison between Geneva 1960 to Macon 2008.  Only one of them voted for a candidate who ran on a racist platform, and well that wasn't Macon....

Nearly all blacks have conservative core values, they're just stuck in Democratic bodies because they want to stick with the general conformity that all blacks are democratic for no good reason.

Your right that blacks are center right on most social issues. Insulting the fact that they vote heavily Democratic is not going to help your party gain any of their votes, however.

I never insulted the fact that they vote heavily democratic I was just saying that they DID vote democratic for no good reason... that's insulting?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 07:27:05 AM »

"No good reason" might, just about, be thought of as insulting.
rbt48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »

Well, back to the thread:

The 1960 results with Kennedy winning by 32 points over Nixon might seem surprising.  One can assume that this county was (and is) overwhelmingly Protestant.  Kennedy was clearly liberal on the race/civil rights issues.  Heck, he visited Martin Luther King in jail late in the campaign.  Also, Kennedy's religion certainly hurt him in parts of the South (Kentucky, Tennessee).  I think what was at play here in Holmes County was the deep South's antipathy toward voting for any Republican back then (no matter who the opponent Democrat might have been).  You can also see this trend reflected in Nixon's poor showings in Arkansas, Georgia, and North Carolina. 

Back to the religious thread, perhaps in Kentucky and Tennessee, there were enough Catholics for the populace at large to be aware of and made sure they voted against.  In the deep South states, I think the numbers of Catholics were so tiny, the general population didn't even perceive the religion of the President to be an issue.  They just assumed every American was Protestant. 
Husker
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.10, S: -5.70

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2009, 12:16:13 AM »

Well, back to the thread:

The 1960 results with Kennedy winning by 32 points over Nixon might seem surprising.  One can assume that this county was (and is) overwhelmingly Protestant.  Kennedy was clearly liberal on the race/civil rights issues.  Heck, he visited Martin Luther King in jail late in the campaign.  Also, Kennedy's religion certainly hurt him in parts of the South (Kentucky, Tennessee).  I think what was at play here in Holmes County was the deep South's antipathy toward voting for any Republican back then (no matter who the opponent Democrat might have been).  You can also see this trend reflected in Nixon's poor showings in Arkansas, Georgia, and North Carolina. 

Back to the religious thread, perhaps in Kentucky and Tennessee, there were enough Catholics for the populace at large to be aware of and made sure they voted against.  In the deep South states, I think the numbers of Catholics were so tiny, the general population didn't even perceive the religion of the President to be an issue.  They just assumed every American was Protestant. 

Good points there. This is getting slightly off topic but has anyone discussed the possibility of an anti-catholic vote in the Midwest in 1960? Seems to me that several counties in the Midwest, particularly in the Corn Belt, were unusually republican that year. Granted this was a very republican area back then (more so than now in most cases) but I'm wondering if Kennedy would have performed better had he not been catholic.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 08:37:19 PM »

I somewhat agree with you floridarepub. But, some people around here are racist. Geneva County and Holmes County aren't that bad.

Yeah.  Just because someone doesn't vote for a democrat doesn't make them a "crappy racist" person or their county a "sh**thole".
No, but over 90% of them voting for George "Segregation forever!" Wallace does.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2009, 08:44:17 PM »

Dude, how many blacks do you talk to more than 10 minutes a week?

With that attitude, Republicans don't deserve more than 10% of the black vote.

Putz
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2009, 09:01:04 PM »

His maid is black!
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2009, 11:54:59 AM »

His maid is black!
<lol> I nearly included that in my post! :-)
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies