|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:07:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: .  (Read 8679 times)
Bull Moose Base

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2009, 03:58:24 PM »
« edited: January 06, 2014, 06:27:31 PM by A dog on every car, a car in every elevator »

Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 04:01:53 PM »

I think the right thing would be one three-term limit.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

Yes there should be term limits but the limit should be longer, like four or five full terms, consecutive or non-consecutive.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »

No.
JerryBrown2010
KyleGordon2016
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.68, S: -9.30

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 04:39:31 PM »

Yes, but make it 3 or 4 terms.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 04:54:28 PM »

Term limits are inherently undemocratic and unnecessary. All should be repealed.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »

Term limits are inherently undemocratic and unnecessary. All should be repealed.

My wording exactly.
FloridaRepublican
justrhyno
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 05:38:36 PM »

My wording exactly.

If there were no term limits, elections would be completely predictable (barring someone's unpopularity or involvement in a scandal).  I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that if FDR lived to run in 1948, he would have gotten re-elected.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 05:44:51 PM »

I'm kind of apathetic towards this issue, but we shouldn't have people in the Congress for decades. I mean jesus, Byrd's been in the US senate for what, 50 f***ing years!?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 06:23:52 PM »

The problem is that people start becoming loyal to a President and will reelect him even if his record is less than stellar. Look at our Senate.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:44:22 PM »

I don't think we have that problem.  We were willing to throw LBJ out in 1968, and Truman in 1952.  Besides, it's the perogative of the voters in a democracy to choose their leaders.  Why should we deny them the option to reelect someone?
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 12:27:01 AM »

Governors : Yes, get rid off them!

President : No.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 04:36:19 PM »

Yes. Term limits do not allow the government to accurately represent the will of the people. If FDR needed a fifth term, and the people agreed, he should have gotten one, regardless of what petty arguments are presented opposing the continuation of his duties. (Of course, he was dead, but still) If a president needs more time to get his work done, he needs more time.
pogo stick
JewishConservative
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 05:49:41 PM »

Yes. Term limits do not allow the government to accurately represent the will of the people. If FDR needed a fifth term, and the people agreed, he should have gotten one, regardless of what petty arguments are presented opposing the continuation of his duties. (Of course, he was dead, but still) If a president needs more time to get his work done, he needs more time.

more terms = Corruption % increasing
Padfoot
padfoot714
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: -6.96

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 12:51:31 AM »

I'd actually prefer an age or "senility" cap instead of term limits.  But if we're speaking strictly of term limits then I think a 10-term limit in the House, a 4-term limit in the Senate, and a 3-term limit for the president are all about right.  I would favor similar term limits for state legislators and governors.  I do feel that our term limits in Ohio are far to short.  The turnover rate is too high for anyone to really gain a good understanding of how the legislature works.
aaaa2222
yoman82

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 10:28:02 AM »

more terms = Corruption % increasing
And then they are voted out of office when they become to corrupt...
HappyWarrior
hannibal
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.35

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 01:22:45 PM »

My wording exactly.
pragmatic liberal

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 05:53:26 PM »

I doubt that most presidents would serve more than two terms anyway if the 22nd Amendment had never been passed.

Truman was eligible to serve a third term anyway and chose not to because of his unpopularity.

Eisenhower was old and ready to retire.

Reagan was suffering from Alzheimers and was nearing 80. He would not have run for a third term.

Clinton would have liked to run for a third term, but I don't know that he would actually have in the aftermath of the Lewinsky scandal. In fact, I could easily see his way "out" of the controversy would be to announce he would not seek a third term.

(Although I could see Clinton running for a non-consecutive third term in '04.)

The presidency is an extremely intense job and most presidents are completely exhausted by the end of two terms. Plus, the time-for-a-change factor in the electorate kicks into high gear after two terms. Even FDR would not have won a third term had it not been for the war in Europe. After 1936, FDR got a declining percentage of the vote in each of his next two elections. Most presidents would still be wise to leave after two terms.

Overall, I'd argue that term limits are largely unnecessary and anti-democratic. The one office in which I think term limits may have some usefulness are mayorships - in cities, it's very easy to build political machines which can entrench corruption, and term limits may have some use in that context. But at the national level and at most state levels I don't think they're necessary or desirable.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 09:47:10 AM »

My vote 2 terms alright for president but for governor 1 6 year term and 2 six year terms for senate.  Unlimited for mayor or House.
JSojourner
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.94

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 05:17:18 PM »

Much as I hate the idea of someone being entrenched in office well beyond their usefulness, I agree.  Elected officials can be term limited at the polls.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2009, 05:26:33 PM »

I agree that most Presidents wouldn't have even run for a second term even if term limits weren't in place.

I favor consecutive term limits. You can't serve more than two consecutive terms, but you can have as many total terms as you can win.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 11:57:49 PM »

Even though I don't think it's particularly likely to happen in America any time soon, a strong executive taking power in a democracy and slowly turning it into a dictatorship seems to be one of if not the main way that democracies fall.  Term limits would if nothing else be a huge impediment to a wanna-be dictator president who would have to get both 2/3 and of congress and 3/4 of the states to approve of his hypothetical desire to be president for life.

Even though term limits for the presidency are anti-democratic and not likely to be relevant very often, the risk of repealing the presidential term limits does not outweigh the reward.  I don't care as much about governors although it seems like a good anti-corruption measure as others have pointed out.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2009, 09:50:59 AM »

Yes, but 8 years is really little time. I think some very good presidents should have the right to be granted a few more time to achieve their reforms.
So, a 3-terms limit could easily work.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2009, 04:49:25 PM »

No

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2009, 10:38:20 PM »