Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 08:46:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Obama ad compares losing virginity to voting  (Read 7424 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

« on: October 27, 2012, 08:12:36 AM »

I haven't watched the video - I can't right now - but the reactions from some posters in this thread and many in the conservative media are amazing (and, I suppose, predictable, although I'm not even sure what exactly provoked this level of outrage).

Republicans ought to respond with an ad aimed at young voters that compares voting for Obama in 2008 to losing your virginity (and not in a good way). That reaction thread would be a blast.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 09:35:20 AM »

I'm still laughing at opebo's last post, but I want to add that, having now watched the clip, I'm not a fan of the ad either. No, I'm not about to come down with a case of the vapors because a woman talks about sex without feeling shame. But I think that this article from The Nation is on to something:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Averroës Nix
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

That talk of "the rational act of voting" is a joke, too.  Very few vote in their own interests.

That's a fair point - but I still prefer GOTV efforts that focus on notions of civic virtue or commitment to a particular set of interests. The heavy emphasis that the Dunham ad places on devotion to a specific candidate disturbs me.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies