Moslems
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 09:42:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Moslems
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Moslems  (Read 3223 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2012, 05:38:58 AM »

I always wanted to do this in a thread, and now's finally the time Tongue :

Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2012, 05:42:03 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2012, 05:43:35 AM by Nathan »

And in no way do we treat women awful in the west.  Maybe 40 years ago one could make that argument, but not now.  Yes, SOME women are treated poorly, but so are SOME men.  Women can do anything they want in the west.  There is a list of things they haven't done yet, yes, but the great majority of those things are pretty freaking elite and it's only a matter of time before even those barriers are broken (I'm thinking US President, athlete competing against men professionally in sport...huh...others I'm sure).  Yes, there is some residual sexism, especially it certain places, but normally when it's brought to light the guilty take a lot of sh**t.  Like when men have the balls to take care of their children, women stand up and say "this will not do!".  Like recently in New Zealand when the government edited out a scene of a dad feeding his baby because of complaints from a breastfeeding organization.  As far as the west goes, women have almost as much power as the Jews or Skull and Bones.

Well, I have somewhat quixotic and very seriously held feminist tendencies of the sort that would be most easily characterized as 'radical' were they not also religious and queer, so you won't convince me on this point (although I do see and respect the merits of the perspective you're arguing), but I'm glad we at least understand each other as regards the subject of the thread.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2012, 05:48:35 AM »

Indeed.  And I can understand still holding "radical" feminists views as you can still see a lot of sexism in our culture (and a lot more if your definition of sexism is fairly broad....oops, I said broad Smiley ).

What I don't understand is where the two posters previous to you are coming from.  (unless Sibb wasn't being sarcastic, but I'm thinking he was)
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2012, 05:53:37 AM »

And in no way do we treat women awful in the west.  Maybe 40 years ago one could make that argument, but not now.  Yes, SOME women are treated poorly, but so are SOME men.  Women can do anything they want in the west.  There is a list of things they haven't done yet, yes, but the great majority of those things are pretty freaking elite and it's only a matter of time before even those barriers are broken (I'm thinking US President, athlete competing against men professionally in sport...huh...others I'm sure).  Yes, there is some residual sexism, especially it certain places, but normally when it's brought to light the guilty take a lot of sh**t.  Like when men have the balls to take care of their children, women stand up and say "this will not do!".  Like recently in New Zealand when the government edited out a scene of a dad feeding his baby because of complaints from a breastfeeding organization.  As far as the west goes, women have almost as much power as the Jews or Skull and Bones.

Aren't you forgetting about the wage gap ?
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2012, 06:01:28 AM »

The great majority of the gap is due to hours worked and to the types of jobs men tend to do compared to the types of jobs women tend to do.  The actual gap (if there still is one) is fairly small and ever shrinking.  And with women making up a majority of college degrees consistently for the last decade (or whatever), that will hopefully only accelerate.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2012, 06:34:30 AM »

The great majority of the gap is due to hours worked and to the types of jobs men tend to do compared to the types of jobs women tend to do.  The actual gap (if there still is one) is fairly small and ever shrinking.  And with women making up a majority of college degrees consistently for the last decade (or whatever), that will hopefully only accelerate.

I've consistently heard (though I haven't looked at the statistics myself) that the gap was still significant even considering identical jobs with the same amound of hours. Around 20% if I remember correctly. This probably regards France, but I doubt the US are much different for that matters.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2012, 07:03:13 AM »

I've consistently heard (though I haven't looked at the statistics myself) that the gap was still significant even considering identical jobs with the same amound of hours. Around 20% if I remember correctly. This probably regards France, but I doubt the US are much different for that matters.

The wage gap is a nightmare to get a clear picture off, men and women often work in different sectors which is hard to compare, we also have the fact that woman take long break from their work to get children, which mean they get a lower ancienity and is less likely to get promoted in their job. But yes most experts agree that a wage gap still exist.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »

Why would somebody that wants to make money hire somebody that costs 20% more if everything else is equal except what hangs (or not) between their legs?  Yes, a gender wage gap probably still exists, but it's nowhere near 20%.  I'll eat my hat if the actual number in the US is more than 5%. (though, as stated, getting a "good" number is very hard)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2012, 08:31:39 AM »

link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
and from this link inside the above..
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:55 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2012, 10:57:40 AM by sbane »

I started doing the same for India, but holy crap they've got serious issues.  I know there are a lot of people there, but man, that's a lot of terrorism by a lot of different groups of people...Sikhs, commies, random regional groups, Muslims, Buddhists, Furries, Purple People Eaters and Flat Earthers.  I'll concede that Muslims aren't the champions of Terrorism in India (but they are certainly competitive!)

Muslims who actually live in India are about as violent as other groups. Pakistanis on the other hand...and it's worth noting that the terrorist groups in Pakistan do tend to accept the more radical Islam that is spewed out of the Middle East (well, Saudi Arabia really) rather than the way more moderate form of Islam that has been the norm in South Asia for centuries. And of course the stone age tribes that live along the Pakistani/Afghani border are different from the vast population of Pakistan. How many terrorists come out of Bangladesh, Dead0man?
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2012, 12:21:15 PM »

It's spelt 'Muslim'.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »

You're all wrong. They're Mohammedans.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 12:35:52 PM »

You're all wrong. They're Mohammedans.

Koranians.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

How many terrorists come out of Bangladesh, Dead0man?
At least a 100,000.

(obviously not every one of them was a "terrorist", but then again, they ain't the only group.)

And then there was this other time when many in the govt of Bangladesh allowed this to happen.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2012, 02:06:52 PM »

How many terrorists come out of Bangladesh, Dead0man?
At least a 100,000.

(obviously not every one of them was a "terrorist", but then again, they ain't the only group.)

And then there was this other time when many in the govt of Bangladesh allowed this to happen.

Yeah, but compare it to Pakistan....Really considering how damn porous the border between India and Bangladesh is, you would expect more terrorist attacks in India from Bangladesh, if they were just as violent as the Pakistanis. Of course knowing Bengalis, the terrorists would try to form a trade union before they did any damn work.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies