PA: The Second amendment act. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:29:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  PA: The Second amendment act. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: PA: The Second amendment act.  (Read 2335 times)
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« on: September 17, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »

A ban on incestuous marriages I can understand, but why a ban on polygamy?

I have the suspicion that polygamy represses women's and children's rights, which is my main reason for advocating banning it in the Pacific Region. Nevertheless, if the pushback against banning polygamy has enough merit, then I suppose this Council  would be well-served to consider scaling down the proposed amendment to just banning incestuous unions in their entirety.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:13 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2014, 09:33:10 PM by Never »

I have the suspicion that polygamy represses women's and children's rights, which is my main reason for advocating banning it in the Pacific Region. Nevertheless, if the pushback against banning polygamy has enough merit, then I suppose this Council  would be well-served to consider scaling down the proposed amendment to just banning incestuous unions in their entirety.
Maybe instead of out right banning polygamy, we could require the consent of both parties?

That is doable; I'm curious to see how your particular wording on that would look so we might restructure the polygamy language in the bill.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:58:44 PM »

I have the suspicion that polygamy represses women's and children's rights, which is my main reason for advocating banning it in the Pacific Region. Nevertheless, if the pushback against banning polygamy has enough merit, then I suppose this Council  would be well-served to consider scaling down the proposed amendment to just banning incestuous unions in their entirety.
Maybe instead of out right banning polygamy, we could require the consent of both parties?

That is doable; I'm curious to see how your particular wording on that would look so we might restructure the polygamy language in the bill.
I am not so good with the legal speak. Maybe something like "In order to have a polygamous marriage, both parties must agree to,and show full understanding of the concept"?

That's just fine. Were there any other points in the originial propsoal that you thought could use some improvement?
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 08:39:02 AM »

IT would be helpful if the Speaker could keep the formatting of the original proposal intact. A good deal is lost by his doing otherwise. Furthermore I am not the sponsor of this piece of legislation- Never is.
Sorry I will work on that.

Polygamy does have inherent disadvantages that give good reason for banning it. I just want to make sure that I am accurately gauging support overall for this amendment; if at all possible we need to insure that the language banning incest does not fail as a result of individuals not wanting to support the wording banning polygamy that is part of the original writing of the amendment.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:29:44 PM »

If we're voting on the amendment in its original language, I will naturally support this.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 02:30:38 PM »

Aye.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 08:13:16 PM »

We are. This has passed, and shall be sent to the voters.

Perhaps it was not a good idea to begin voting so soon. I should have paid better attention to the amount of time it had been since this act was introduced for debate. According to the Rules of Order relating to this, our Council is supposed to have debate for at least 48 hours, and it has not been that amount of time since debate began. In other words, we can't really say the amendment has passed, because we haven't reached the time that we can vote on it yet.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »

We are. This has passed, and shall be sent to the voters.

Perhaps it was not a good idea to begin voting so soon. I should have paid better attention to the amount of time it had been since this act was introduced for debate. According to the Rules of Order relating to this, our Council is supposed to have debate for at least 48 hours, and it has not been that amount of time since debate began. In other words, we can't really say the amendment has passed, because we haven't reached the time that we can vote on it yet.

Since debate is still ongoing, would the honorable Member of the Legislative Council be so kindly inclined as to propose my "suggested" amendment?

Yes, I do think it would be a good idea to propose your suggested amendment. Does the clock for debate restart on this, or should it be viewed as a revision to the original document as a result of earlier discussion?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

SECTION 3. ENFORCEMENT OF PROVISIONS

1. The Legislative Council resolves to rigorously enforce the provisions of the amendment approved by this Act.
[/quote]
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:58:32 PM »

I think this should be considered as law, so long as both incest and polygamy are being banned.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies