Republican Conference-All Republicans offer your opinions
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 19, 2024, 01:32:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Republican Conference-All Republicans offer your opinions
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Republican Conference-All Republicans offer your opinions  (Read 2156 times)
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2005, 06:59:49 PM »

This thread is for all Republicans to offer their opinions on the direction of the party and how to improve the party and its stature.

My first comment is that our party should be geared towards winning elections through economic conservatism.  We need to prove that we're the party of fiscal responsibility and accountability.

My second is that we need to reform the party bylaws in regards to leadership elections and conduct of party business.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2005, 07:15:20 PM »

I agree with what Jake said. We need to become an economic conservative party. Al, although I hate his politics, did something right. He ran on a campaign that denounced wedge issues and stuck to an economic platform and he won. His party that he create says that it is just an economic party. I think this is what the AFRNC should be. It should be a party of economic conservativism and small government.

It should not be said that we should cast away our social feelings what I am saying is that we should not have social issues devide a party that is already starting to go into decline. We need to stand fast in our belief in a sound economic platform and a strong foreign policy.

We also need to re-write the current platform of the AFRNC. It is showing its age and a committee should be set up at the convention to look over the platform and to change problem areas.

It should also be said that I support the position of Chairman being given to a person without other political office. This would allow the Chairman to devote his full time and effort into the party.

Lastly we need to begin recruiting drives. We need to recruit members not just from Atlasia but from the entire forum. We need to make sure that their are enough active posters in this party to make it a successful party.

We should also take into account the calls to change this parties name. While I consider that the name is the decision of the members the current calls from many in Atlasia and the high probability that the AFDNC will change their name makes it important that we start considering possible changes to the Republican name. We cannot be the last party standing with a Real Life name. We must at least brainstorm possibilites for the day when we may need to change the name of this great party.

Thank you all very much and may the Republican party continue to grow and thrive.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2005, 08:15:33 PM »

Economic and social conservativism should be brought up. I certainly won't fall into the belief that anything besides economic issues is a "wedge issue."

We need a new Chairman now. An election should be called for within a few days.

No name change. We are Republicans, we will always be Republicans. Our name is fine.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 08:54:44 PM »

If you don't change your name, then it is not as likely that the AFDNC will change theirs.  It is vitally important to all of our parties that the AFDNC change their name.

Economic and social conservativism should be brought up. I certainly won't fall into the belief that anything besides economic issues is a "wedge issue."

No name change. We are Republicans, we will always be Republicans. Our name is fine.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 09:26:16 PM »

If you don't change your name, then it is not as likely that the AFDNC will change theirs.  It is vitally important to all of our parties that the AFDNC change their name.

Don, our actions are not dependent on the AFRNC.
CheeseWhiz
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2005, 10:13:35 PM »

I’m currently working on what I call the Conservative Libertarian Alliance.  I believe it’s important to bring conservatives and libertarians of all parties together in a strong partnership to win more offices and remove the liberals and populists.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 12:22:22 AM »

I’m currently working on what I call the Conservative Libertarian Alliance.  I believe it’s important to bring conservatives and libertarians of all parties together in a strong partnership to win more offices and remove the liberals and populists.

Hmph. So much for winning your vote in my next election... Tongue
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 01:45:32 AM »
« Edited: January 11, 2005, 01:47:07 AM by SamSpade »

The Republican party needs to have a message to remain viable in Atlasian politics and certainly needs to motive and register new voters if it wants to keep Atlasia from moving continually leftward.

My advice though, would be not to emphasize economic conservatism and eliminate social conservatism from the AFRNC. 

Though most young people, which Atlasia tends to be dominated by, have a tendency to be much more economically conservative than socially conservative you cannot simply ignore those beliefs.

Ignoring them will lead to further splintering with conservative ranks and will cause some people (like me) to ignore the AFRNC entirely.

What I think an AFRNC must represent in order to survive is a big tent idea of general social and economic conservative principles, with an emphasis on freedom, liberty, tradition and jurisprudence and a belief that government's sole main purpose is to empower individuals to move this country forward, rather than to empower government and governmental entities in moving this country forward.

Otherwise, it becomes rather useless in this political game, for no one will accept it as a minor splinter party.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 03:21:58 AM »

How does everyone like Atlasian Taxpayers Party?
I think it is effective in passing out the mesage of fiscal conservativism.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 03:30:01 AM »

If you don't change your name, then it is not as likely that the AFDNC will change theirs. It is vitally important to all of our parties that the AFDNC change their name.

Is there any other reason why the AFRNC should change their name, other than to get us to change ours?

Why does the name of the AFDNC cause so many problems? I'm just curious. It's just a name. If we change our name and keep the same people, platform, and positions on the issues, I don't see why that would make us any better.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:58:01 AM »

You guys need a strong leader who will guide you. Sorry, but when you can't even choose a convention site without pages of controversy, you are in trouble. You also need to run more candidates. You can't simply informally form an alliance with moderates, who are not always going to vote with you.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 07:29:53 AM »

Well first I believe we need to have a vote for a new Chairman on Friday, anybody with me on this?

And I believe that person should be ColinW, draft ColinW for Party Chairman!
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2005, 10:09:10 AM »

If I'm allowed to bump in...

Jake, there are too few good active people to afford having a chairman who doesn't hold political office. That's not particular for you, it goes for all parties. You will find yourselves in trouble if you go down that road.

Nym, I think the right-wingers here have shown a little more independence in picking their parties, generally speaking. The key problem is that the real life names foster partisanship based on real-life conflicts which is unhealthy and removes much of the fun from the FANTASY elections and also that it gives those parties an unfair and dull advantage since a lot of people register with their real life names without bothering to check uot fantasy politics and then only show up to vote with their real life parties. This is slightly more of a problem with the Democrats than with the Republicans, though my first point is equal for both, or even worse with Republicans.

I think it's fine for you to be social conservatives, you shouldn't betray your principles. Remember that there is no real need for big tent parties here in Atlasia, with preferential voting.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »

If I'm allowed to bump in...

Jake, there are too few good active people to afford having a chairman who doesn't hold political office. That's not particular for you, it goes for all parties. You will find yourselves in trouble if you go down that road.

Nym, I think the right-wingers here have shown a little more independence in picking their parties, generally speaking. The key problem is that the real life names foster partisanship based on real-life conflicts which is unhealthy and removes much of the fun from the FANTASY elections and also that it gives those parties an unfair and dull advantage since a lot of people register with their real life names without bothering to check uot fantasy politics and then only show up to vote with their real life parties. This is slightly more of a problem with the Democrats than with the Republicans, though my first point is equal for both, or even worse with Republicans.

I think it's fine for you to be social conservatives, you shouldn't betray your principles. Remember that there is no real need for big tent parties here in Atlasia, with preferential voting.

Well, the great majority of the people who were derided for showing up only to vote in the D1 Senate race and who were ridiculed as not being active enough (and thus their votes had less legitimacy in the minds of some) have gone on to be pretty active. It's obvious, to me at least, that these people actually do believe in our party and are not just mindlessly showing up to vote.

As for others, since we don't know how much research they've actually done, I think it would be wrong to assume that they've done none at all. Just because they don't post doesn't mean that they aren't following up on events, and aren't knowledgeable. Maybe it's naive of me to not judge someone without all the facts and information needed to make that judgement.

We'd have partisanship no matter what the names are. The problem isn't the names, the problem is having parties, period. If you have parties, you will have partisan differences, and every party will have a small percentage of people who will hate anyone from certain other parties. So I highly doubt that simply changing the name would change much, if anything at all, in that regard. A Democrat by any other name is still a Democrat.

Not to mention that the Atlasian parties are very similar to their real life counterparts in terms of their platforms and positions. So if people identify with the Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian parties in real life, they most likely will identify with the Atlasian versions as well. I don't see any evidence that people are being tricked into joining a party that doesn't represent their views well.

I'm strongly in favor of making a plethora of information about the parties available to the voters. What the voters choose to do with that information is up to them. As I don't know how much research each voter has done, I wouldn't want to just assume that they haven't done any at all. I strongly support the voters researching the candidates thoroughly, but I also strongly opppose it being a requirement. The right to cast one's vote in whatever way one deems appropriate is clearly one of the most fundamental freedoms in America or Atlasia.

You have many good points, and I thank you for sharing your opinion, Gustaf. I just don't think that changing the name is going to make nearly as much difference as some think.

The AFDNC is very similar to the real life Democratic Party in our positions, I feel it is the best name for us to have. If someone comes up with a name that would better embody our positions and views, I'd be all for it, but I haven't seen one yet.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 11:14:56 AM »

I aggree we need to focus on fiscal Conservatism. My economic Big 3 were stalled by the Senate but a Balanced Budget Act is coming to the Senate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2005, 12:47:31 PM »

This is a party of economic and social conservatism, but we need to emphesive (sp?) the economic isues to the voters. 

Here is a draft proposal for our Part Bylaws.  Not complete.  please comment.

Atlas Forum Republican Party Bylaws

Section One-The Chairman, Secretary, and Party Council
1) It should be the policy of the Atlas Forum Republican Party (hereafter referred to as the AFRNC)to elect a chairman through a majority vote of party members.  The vote will be done through approval voting at an appropriate thread on the Atlas Fantasy Forum.
2) The Chairman of the AFRNC will be elected every four months on the first weekend {Friday through Sunday} of the third, seventh, and eleventh months.  In addition, a no-confidence vote can be called if five party members deliver a signed petition to the Chairman of the AFRNC.  A recall election will then be held with candidates voting on whether to replace the Chairman and voting on who the successor should be. If the AFRNC Chairman should resign, an election to replace him will be held on the second weekend after his resignation.
3) The Party Secretary shall be appointed by the Chairman.  The secretary shall be in charge of GOTV efforts, voter recruitment, and recording party business.
4) The Party Council shall be made up of the Party Chairman, Party Secretary, and five members appointed by the Chairman to represent each region. This council will be responsible for internal party issues and will be super delegates at the Party Convention.

Section Two-The Party Congress
1) The Party Congress shall be made up of all registered Republican Party members.  It shall meet at least every four months to revise the party platform, elect the Chairman, and nominate candidates for elections.
2) The Party Congress shall have the power to amend the platform by a majority votes of those members assembled.

Section Three-Nominating Candidates
1) If two or more AFRNC candidates choose to run for the same office, excluding the AFRNC Presidential Nomination, a primary election shall be held.  At the date of the Party Chairman's choosing, but at least three weeks before the General Election, the primary shall begin.  Republicans from the elected office's constituency will have two votes  to cast any way they please and those Republicans from outside the constituency shall have one vote to cast as they please.
2) The nomination process for the Republican Party's presidential candidate will be conducted by giving all Republican voters 50 delegates at the Party Convention.  At the Convention, each voter will cast their delegates in any manner they see fit, to any candidate, from any party.  The seven members of the Party Council will have 100 delegates to cast in any manner they see fit.  When a candidate has received a majority of the delegates cast after two days of voting, that person shall be nominated as the AFRNC Presidential Candidate. 
3) The Convention will also elect a Vice-Presidential nominee using the above procedure.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2005, 03:22:57 PM »

This is a party of economic and social conservatism, but we need to emphesive (sp?) the economic isues to the voters. 

1) It should be the policy of the Atlas Forum Republican Party (hereafter referred to as the AFRNC)to elect a chairman through a majority vote of party members.  The vote will be done through approval voting at an appropriate thread on the Atlas Fantasy Forum.
2) The Chairman of the AFRNC will be elected every four months on the first weekend {Friday through Sunday} of the third, seventh, and eleventh months.  In addition, a no-confidence vote can be called if five party members deliver a signed petition to the Chairman of the AFRNC.  A recall election will then be held with candidates voting on whether to replace the Chairman and voting on who the successor should be. If the AFRNC Chairman should resign, an election to replace him will be held on the second weekend after his resignation.
3) The Party Secretary shall be appointed by the Chairman.  The secretary shall be in charge of GOTV efforts, voter recruitment, and recording party business.
4) The Party Council shall be made up of the Party Chairman, Party Secretary, and five members appointed by the Chairman to represent each region. This council will be responsible for internal party issues and will be super delegates at the Party Convention.

1) The Party Congress shall be made up of all registered Republican Party members.  It shall meet at least every four months to revise the party platform, elect the Chairman, and nominate candidates for elections.
2) The Party Congress shall have the power to amend the platform by a majority votes of those members assembled.

1) If two or more AFRNC candidates choose to run for the same office, excluding the AFRNC Presidential Nomination, a primary election shall be held.  At the date of the Party Chairman's choosing, but at least three weeks before the General Election, the primary shall begin.  Republicans from the elected office's constituency will have two votes  to cast any way they please and those Republicans from outside the constituency shall have one vote to cast as they please.
2) The nomination process for the Republican Party's presidential candidate will be conducted by giving all Republican voters 50 delegates at the Party Convention.  At the Convention, each voter will cast their delegates in any manner they see fit, to any candidate, from any party.  The seven members of the Party Council will have 100 delegates to cast in any manner they see fit.  When a candidate has received a majority of the delegates cast after two days of voting, that person shall be nominated as the AFRNC Presidential Candidate. 
3) The Convention will also elect a Vice-Presidential nominee using the above procedure.

I agree with all this personally. We need to get people active in the party. We need to start using our message boards and our conventions. I see nothing wrong with what Jake has said and actually agree with it.

As to the Secretary of the Tresuries point, if people think that I am the best for the job then I would be happy to serve as Party Chairman.

To address some points. Phil what I am saying is that we should emphasize Economic Conservatism but that does not mean that we give up our social stances. We are still an umbrella party. We have men like Bono would are Social Libertarians. We have men like Keystone Phil who are Social Conservatives and then we have more socially moderate members like President Brunsel.

I believe to hold this party together and to make it stronger that we should emphasize our standings on the Economy but an man who runs for office may campaign however he wishes so men who want to run for office will still be able to emphasize social issues if they want.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2005, 03:34:51 PM »

One thing it seems that are party can agree upon is that change is needed.  Hopefully at our convention (Omaha ?) we can bring that change.  Until then, we must get organized as a party and prepare to institute the change we need. 

We need to base our party structure on the UAC party struture.  Make it organized and appoint party leaders to keep the party moving in the right direction. 

We also need to start handing out endorsements.  I don't believe we've endorsed a candidate in the Mid East Gubernatorial race.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2005, 05:06:56 PM »

We have men like Keystone Phil who are Social Conservatives and then we have more socially moderate members like President Brunsel.

The President is not a social moderate. We are both social conservatives.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2005, 05:09:01 PM »

Sorry, but when you can't even choose a convention site without pages of controversy, you are in trouble.

When we need advice about creating voters, we'll turn to you.   Tongue
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2005, 08:13:46 PM »

Sorry, but when you can't even choose a convention site without pages of controversy, you are in trouble.

I'm trying to figure out what my slight connection to the former Senator has to do with my comment above.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2005, 08:27:42 PM »

I'm trying to figure out what my slight connection to the former Senator has to do with my comment above.

Think about it...It'll come
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2005, 08:34:12 PM »

Develop process for choosing convention site that is fair and acceptable to all, being connected to a scandal. Nothing's coming.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2005, 09:12:49 PM »

Develop process for choosing convention site that is fair and acceptable to all, being connected to a scandal. Nothing's coming.

Yes, of course...that slight connection of being his campaign manager.

You try to advise us on issues and say we might be in trouble when you have your own problems. That's the connection between your voter registration and your advice to the AFRNC.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2005, 09:31:42 PM »

You try to advise us on issues and say we might be in trouble when you have your own problems. That's the connection between your voter registration and your advice to the AFRNC.

Nice ad hominem fallacy there, but logic dicates that his own issues need not impact his ability to comment on yours and don't alone invalidate one's argument.  Smiley
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies