Young people in Europe and the centre-right's existential crisis (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 11:40:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Young people in Europe and the centre-right's existential crisis (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Young people in Europe and the centre-right's existential crisis  (Read 4728 times)
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« on: May 18, 2018, 03:58:25 AM »

This is interesting.

How I interpret these results is that in the UK the young are very left wing and thus the Tories (just like every Anglosphere right wing party) are in serious trouble, as the Anglosphere youth are very left wing in general (I noticed that that's really the case compared to continental Europe).

While in Continental Europe I really don't believe that the youth are really left wing (at least in France) or against the right in general, I think what is happening on the continent is that the youth are rejecting the centre, they're either populist left or populist right now to a large degree.

I'm not sure what explains this difference though.
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 05:50:29 PM »

I don't really think this shows an existential crisis for the centre-right (unless the abstaining youth suddenly start voting in the future, which is a possibility). In France, Spain and Anglosaxon countries the main conservative party does terrible with young voters, but in France and Spain they are being replaced by liberal parties with a relatively young voter base that are becoming more rightist by the day (LREM, C's). I think the continental European centre-right isn't in a lot of trouble at this moment, but the Anglosaxon right seems to be in an extremely dire situation.

Agreed
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies