my brother voted for Peroutka
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 18, 2024, 04:57:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  my brother voted for Peroutka
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: my brother voted for Peroutka  (Read 5032 times)
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2004, 05:20:24 PM »

Perhaps you should have to be 24 and own property to vote.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2004, 05:35:06 PM »

I'm not sure even 18-year olds should be allowed to vote. Just realized that my class and all people my age are turning 18 next year...we're not fit to vote. Obviously I think I am, but hte vast majority are certianly not.

If anything the voting age should be higher. Certianly not lower.

Totally agree. That was because the politicians wanted masses of unninformed voters who have only a limited grasp of the significancy of those policies. Thus the impulse to lower the voting age, to get more sheeple votes.
Thhis is why we should only let people who are over 1/5 of an acre to vote. Grin

Well, I did read an interesting proposal a few years back.  Only people who pay taxes should vote.  The rationale is that you should only have a say if you are paying into the system.

Good idea, but lets further it. No one who recieved any kind of money from the government should be able to vote.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2004, 05:43:12 PM »

Why?
badnarikin04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2004, 05:59:19 PM »

Peroutka DOES NOT have the coolest name!

You know who does...Smiley
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2004, 12:32:40 PM »

Because the would allways vote to be given more money.
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »

(Took the link from the "Who voted for Peroutka?" thread)

I have mixed feelings on the voting age. At 13, probably more like 9 or 10 actually, I had a better than average grasp on politics, at least for a 9 or 10 year old. At 26, I have an above average grasp than most 26 year olds and probably the average person overall (as I think any one on this site does, otherwise they would not be here). At 10 years old, I supported lowering the voting age down to at least 16, maybe 14. But now after seeing things such as Nickelodeon's Kids pick the President, I realize that the average 10 year old is too stupid to vote and make an informed decision. And I read an article (sorry, I don't have the link off hand) that the average voter is too stupid to make an informed decision. Nader favored lowering the voting age to 16 since many of them "work and pay taxes".

My suggestion: Get rid of age all together. You got some adults who are not smart enough to vote and you got some teens that are smart enough to vote. Require everyone to take some sort of "Vote Awareness Test". Maybe name the position of at least 5 issues of each candidate or something. If you are 16 and can pass it, you can vote. If you are 60 and you can't pass it, you can't vote.

OK. This isn't doable and would not work. It would probably also be ruled illegal like the poll tax and a few other requirements to vote that no longer exist. With that being said age is the only thing they could probably go by but there is no age at which you are too old or too young to research and inform yourself on the candidates and the issues.

And do we really need more http://www.kidsforkerry.org/ ?

I'll stop rambling.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies