surprise nominees for 2008? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 15, 2024, 08:21:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  surprise nominees for 2008? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: surprise nominees for 2008?  (Read 9004 times)
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« on: February 01, 2005, 02:47:14 PM »

For Democrats, I would say Mark Pryor (AR).  He's a wonderful politician, speaker, person; he's a moderate, he has no scandals, he's from Arkansas (where he is incredibly well-liked).  I can't really think of any downside to his candidacy except for the fact that he's not as experienced as some politicians, and people might accuse him of success b/c of his daddy (although that didn't really hurt Bush too much, did it?).  I also think Bredesen (TN) is a good guess for an underdog, although I don't know much about him (ontheissues.org didn't have anything useful!)
For Republicans, Sununu? Gregg? (NH)  Really conservative human beings that could probably keep the south but could also capture ME, NH, PA, and maybe NJ.  Lamar Alexander (TN) could try it again.  Cornyn (TX)?  Kit Bond (MO)?  All these people are possibilities; I wouldn't count them out.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2005, 02:49:04 PM »

I had a few thoughts a few days after my first post about this subject:

Someone I think may have presidential ambitions is Ted Strickland of Ohio; I have seen him much more active than usual on C-SPAN lately.  He's from a swing state, he's a talented speaker, he's moderate.  I think he qualifies as a good nominee for the Democratic Party.
As for Republicans, Marilyn Musgrave of Colorado is a big name in the party and might have some kind of Presidential ambition.  No one talks about her, but she's from a swing state, she's a bit more conservative than Bush, and she would take a lot of women votes--I think.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 01:56:32 PM »

Steny Hoyer (D-MD), Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-TX), Elizabeth Dole (R-NC), Darrell Issa (R-CA), Mike Honda (D-CA), and Tammy Baldwin (D-WI) could all be running, too.
ian

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2005, 02:57:04 PM »

You've got to be kidding. Every time I've seen Hoyer get to his feet in the House, he comes across as a petulant child. Maybe I just need to pay closer attention. It's an excuse to watch more CSPAN, I guess. Wink

I really like Steny Hoyer, and I think that the possibility is strong that he runs.  He has a very high position in the legislature and you always see him speaking on C-Span.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies