Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 20, 2024, 05:14:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Republicans Are Too Angry About Gay Marriage  (Read 13819 times)
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« on: July 06, 2015, 09:09:33 AM »

The Supreme Court created new rights with its decision in a very real sense. Prior to their it, no one was being denied their right to marriage. Homosexuals had the right to marry just like everybody else. A gay man had the right to marry a woman and a gay woman had the right to marry a man. On the other side of things, as a straight man, I had not the right to marry another man. There was absolutely no discrimination here.

Moving on...

There will be one final chance to reverse the decision after the 2016 Elections. The Republicans would probably have to win complete control of Congress of at least 38 State Legislatures in order to call a national convention. It could then be proposed to amend the constitution to define marriage as between a man and a woman. If 38 of 50 state legislatures approve the amendment; same-sex marriage becomes unconstitutional. Abortion and no-fault divorce could also be addressed at such a convention, though I doubt that conservatives are bold enough to do so. I have my doubts as to whether or not they are willing to call a national convention, but at least they're talking about it in some circles. Personally, I believe that it is the only chance of success that we have.

Do I expect any of it to happen? Absolutely not. Conservatives in this country had indeed surrendered, but they did so, in very real sense, years ago. All that remains is just for show.

JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:43:27 AM »

It's not just an assault on christainity, it's an assault on democracy. Leftists have decided to hide behind the supreme court rather than fight to change things through actual elected representatives, and it's just sickening.

you don't get to vote on our human rights.

Receiving government benefits is NOT a human right. This isn't free speech we're talking about here. It is a question of government benefits to encourage a particular form of marriage.
JohnRM
Rookie
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 07:15:51 AM »

It's not just an assault on christainity, it's an assault on democracy. Leftists have decided to hide behind the supreme court rather than fight to change things through actual elected representatives, and it's just sickening.
you don't get to vote on our human rights.
Receiving government benefits is NOT a human right. This isn't free speech we're talking about here. It is a question of government benefits to encourage a particular form of marriage.

You're alleging that marriage is primarily an issue of government benefits? Do you actually believe that is why most people seek to get married?

If it's about love, then why do you need government recognition? What do you care what the government thinks? Do you think marriage would cease to exist in the Catholic Church if the government stopped recognizing them and providing benefits?

Why do YOU think the government recognizes marriage?

Do you know when gay marriage started becoming a serious issue? It was in the early 2000's when the tax code was changed to turn what used to be a tax penalty for being married into a tax benefit. Before that, few people cared about it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies